• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:00 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Lion's War Tactics

Started by Myrmidon, August 26, 2013, 12:47:28 am

Myrmidon

August 26, 2013, 12:47:28 am Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:26:43 pm by Myrmidon
ok, so here's my plan, and project - to take the Final Fantasy out of Final Fantasy tactics.  Leave it as simple "War of the Lions, the Zodiac Brave story"

Why? because there's nothing relating to FF anyways except a few passing refrences...well, there's only a few passing refrences anyways to bind any given FF game to any other, but...whatever...

I also intend to redo faces so people look more...unique... (I'm sorry, but there are way too many noseless fair-skinned blondes in Ivalice, and it's hard for my wife to keep up).  This may get kicked to the curb, though.

I'm also planning on changing the jobs...mostly to amuse myself.  As a secondary, though, it always bothered me how little elements play into things.  Seriously - when did you ever consider a Coral Sword over an Ancient Sword if you weren't planning on kicking some Squidlarkin ass?

Damage is taking a serious overhaul.  Weapons and spells are going through rigorous reworking to each be within a certain specified damage output.  Average hit is aimed to be ~100 before modifiers late-game.  HP is scaling back to match - don't expect to see anyone with 999HP (except maybe Worker 8 - still working on this)

Extra base classes may be recruitable!  We all know people come form all sorts of walks of life...as such, (room allowing), I may be creating extra, Invite-only PCs to be recruited at various points in the game.  Since, y'know, not everyone started out as a squire.

Monsters being reworked to be more in-balance with humans.  Each monster will have all 3 abilities, plus a Beastmaster ability.  Monsters will also have more innate abilities, including taming, poaching, teleporting, and various skills to make them more adept at their skills than other monsters with the same skills.

(for example, Mindflayers will have innate Tame, as they have a habit of keeping slaves.  Beholders, however, have innate Concentrate, making their Mind Blast more accurate than a Mindflayer's)

Barehand changed - PA*9
Swords changed to Mageswords - (PA+MA)/2*WP
Kngihtswords now just PA*WP
Katanas changed to PA*WP
Axes formula changed - Bare PA*WP
Hammer formula changed - MA*WP
Book Formula Changed - MA*WP, now basically an X-Bow for mages
All weapons now either Doublehand, or 2Weap capable.  No more equipping 2 Excaliburs - This will help control damage output.
Only Daggers and Ninjato 2-weapon capable.
New Weapon: Rugila Blade.  Equippable to Ramza only.
Perfume now "Souls", and mage-only.  Souls give amazing abilities, but at steep costs.
Charms added - basically like hats, but for mages.

Basic Units

Basic unit. 
A cross between Squire and Ubersquire...though Ubersquire's going to get its own set of buffs.  Trying to make the basic skills a little more useful.

Eq: Axes, Knives, Knightswords, Hats, Clothes, Rings, Armlets, Cloaks, Boots

Basic unit.
Condensed a little bit, and removed Remedy.  Because screw remedy.  I'm also making the class a little more magically inclined, statistically.  Items can now debuff as well as buff, so more careful use of items is advised.

Eq: Dagger, Staff, Rod, Hat, Charms, Clothes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

Innate: Throw Item

Basic Unit.
Yes, 3 basic units.  Why?  Because I wanted to.  Acrobat is, essentially, a nerfed Ninja.  Innate 2-hands, but no good 2-handed weapons. Why? Because I'm evil.  Also: Basic Unit.

Eq: Gun, Pole, Dagger, Hat, Clothes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Cloaks, Boots

Innate: 2-Weapons

Paige L2

Basic Dragoon, but reinvented.  Made it a light armour class instead to give access to hats and armour to boost speed to make Jump more reliable.  Also, I didn't have any better ideas on how to make this class viable, what, with the jump command being a huge handicap to work with.  I'd also like to make Jump work with sticks AND lances (it makes sense, and puts Female's MA growth to work).

Eq: Lances, Sticks, Sheilds, Hats, Clothes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Cloaks, Boots

Adept L2
OK, back to classes that require descrptions in their abilities.  Wizard is same-ish, but a little reinvented.  I took a few cues from DnD's Wizard, to be honest.  So sue me.

Eq: Rod, Dagger, Hats, Robes, Clothes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

Acrobat L2

Orator, but with a few less crappy skills.

Innate: Monster Talk

Equip: Daggers, Hammers, Hats, Clothes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

Paige L3, Adept L3

Something a little more offense minded.  It honestly bothered me that Priest had a (comparatively) decent PA, but no PA-based weapons.  Meant to be able to hold his own.

Eq: Staff, Hammer, Hat, Robes, Clothes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

Paige L3, Acrobat L3

Inspired by FFTA's archers, and the fact that Poach is amazing on ranged weapons.  Not much to say on the Hunter.

Innate: Poach

Equip: Bow, Crossbow, Knife, Hat, Clothes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Cloaks, Boots

Acrobat L3, Adept L3

Best known for curses and stealing, both got put into one class.  Curses use the Monk's Doom Fist formula, so I can make the best of the class' innate skills. Martial Arts also means I can make a mixed class without investing in PA growth very much. Don't care that the weapons may never get used.

Innate: Martial Arts

Equip: Dagger, Staff, Hat, Clothes, Robes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

L4 Druid, L4 Theurgist

Equip: Hammer, Staff, Hat, Clothes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

L4 Halberdier, L4 Theurgist

Eq: Knightsword, Sheild, Helmet, Armour, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Cloaks, Boots

L4 Halberdier, L4 Hunter
Equip: Mageswords, Staves, Sticks, Books, Hats, Clothes, Robes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

Innate: Ignore Weather, Waterwalk, Lavawalk

L4 Hunter, L4 Barrister

OK, I needed something to use in place of Samurai...something that used an item to attack - why not a gunner?

Eq: Gun, Sheild, Helmet, Armour, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

L4 Barrister, L4 Gypsy

Equip: Crossbows, Lances, Hats, Charms, Clothes, Robes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Cloaks, Boots

L4 Gypsy, L4 Wizard

Eq: Dagger, Pole, Cloak, Hat, Charm, Robes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

L3 Necromancer, L3 Theurgist, L5 Barrister
Equip: MageSword, Dagger, Staff, Hat, Clothes, Robes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

L3 Wizard, L4 Druid, L5 Elementalist

A warrior class based on MA instead of PA.  has Warrior-like HP, MP and Speed growths

Eq: Hammer, Magesword, Shield, Hats, Charms, Robes, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

L4 Hunter, L4 Vanguard, L4 Mageslayer

Focuses on using weapons with different damage formulas from normal.  All attacks use weapon range & restrictions.  Einherjar class consists of Viking and Valkyrie - both gender specific, and both with their own equipment options.  They share a movepool and stat growths, however.

Valkyrie Equip: Bow, Lance, KnightSword, Charm, Helmet, Armour, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots
Viking Equip: Axe, KnightSword, Sheild, Hat, Helmet, Armour, Rings, Armlets, Robes, Souls, Cloaks, Boots

All Tier 3 classes at L3

Innate: Deft Fingers, Perfect Aim, Concentrate, Beastmaster

Equip: All Weapons, Armour, Accessories

Mimics allied monster skills.  Monsters' stats are going to be scaled down to be a little more "realistic", so no more 23MA monsters.  Monster Skills, as such, will all be scaling skills that would actually work decently if a human uses 'em.  As with any mime replacement, equipment will be destroyed post-battle.

To be filled out more as I have the time to do so, and learn more about hacking and such.  Yes, I fully admit that some of these are technically notes, but I haven't had the chance to find the right formulas yet.  Any critiques would be appreciated, and may help me finish this project faster.

formerdeathcorps

So I'm not the only one who wants to cure IValice of the inbreeding that causes blond no-nose syndrome?  In any case, your patch looks like what my patch used in its last incarnation before I totally scrapped it because having only 3 primary jobs led to some pretty unstable results towards the end.  I'll give a more nuanced critique later, but what stood out:

Juggler / Acrobat has 2S (on this early a tier) and 2H (innate)?!  Unless you made nothing but the crappiest of weapons take 2S and 2H (in which you then just pretty much killed those two support skills), that's broken!
Lancer has 2H, armor, and Speed Save?!  Even if 2H is total crap now, armor + Speed Save is godly, even if lancer had no primary skills at all because of how effectively that unit can tank with item.  That's how Gaignun won S5.
Lawyer / Mediator lost Don't Act and Death Sentence and is now "more focused and better than before"?  I don't get this, as DA, DS, and CT00 were essential weapons in human hands.
Priest lost Holy and is now "more of an offensive threat"?  Simply giving a below average HP class PA weapons and above average PA growth does not suddenly make him a physical threat when his skills (assuming they still cost MP) work entirely contrary to a PA setup.
Hunter and Gypsy are both broken.  You never give innate martial arts to any class because the synergy with fists alone in your patch causes around PA * 27 total damage.  Hunter has...randomly strong debuffs, CHARM (at range!), DA / DM (at range!) and the ability to break the enemy's stats.  Given how badly Gypsy's skillset is outclassed by Hunter and Mediator, you may as well just have frog, DS, and steals.
The Vanguard in human hands is a very broken class because first turn reraise + suicide tactics leads to Last Resort / Shock for impossibly high damage at either AoE or range.  The fact this class can spam the equivalent of a combined elixir + remedy on himself is also broken because the downside (of sleep) isn't a real downside when the rest of his skillset is built around taking damage (so the sleep damage multiplier means nothing to him).  Pretty much, this is fine as a special berserker class, but for the same reason why dark knight shouldn't be a generic, he shouldn't either.
Unless Geomancy does a lot more damage now, you just nerfed Geomancer by giving him weapon ranged attacks + close range weapons because he loses both AoE and Range.  Why is this necessary?  Geomancer was hardly a world-beater in vanilla.
The flipside of the above is this.  If Geomancy DOES do a lot more damage, then either Geomancer or Samurai Spellgunner is redundant because they'll both be doing roughly the same thing (weapon ranged attacks that deal extra damage).  In fact, geomancer may have to do less damage than Spellgunner simply to make up for the costs of bullets (unless you make them dirt cheap), but doing so would likely mean both classes would be terrible compared to Hunter.
Mundus sounds good on paper but do realize that double elemental attacks means that if someone halves / nulls / absorbs one element, they halve / null / absorb the damage entirely.  Unless the damage is all flare tier (meaning you either KO someone who doesn't protect against elements or you are totally blocked), this isn't worth using, but if it was flare tier, you may as well have the non-elemental flare rather than 4 different spells which jointly have the same effect.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Myrmidon

August 26, 2013, 01:34:43 pm #2 Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:17:56 pm by Myrmidon
I'm working with what basics I'm given.  Far as my research has told me, I can't remove Innate 2 hands or innate Martial Arts without losing the ability to equip them later (with a Monk/Ninja base).  Hence Gypsy's and Acrobat's innates.  I may well change Gypsy's curses, though.

also: Musty has Don't Move/Act, and Archer in FFTA has Cupid.  As for debuffs, does anyone use Archer right now with any support skill other than Break Arts?  Anything else seems...not as good.

Thaumaturge: gained Hammers, which are going to be, strengthwise, as strong as swords.  Add in a bit more HP growth, and you've got something a little more DnD cleric like - a midlines healer, instead of a backlines healer.  Basically, addition of a good weapon will allow his MP to be more focused on healing, and his hammers focused on damage dealing.  I did this in vanilla to great extent with a doublehand oracle.  Did better damage than my PA users, and made a great support unit as well.

YinYang
Time
Counter
Doublehand
Move+3

Halberdier lacks armour, actually - has clothes instead, so no tanking.  My plan is to make Jump a little more...reliable, by making the speed necessary for it to be that reliable more attainable.  Again: I'd LOVE to scrap jump, but...my learnings tell me that the AI doesn't like that.

Barrister: didn't have Don't Act in vanilla, and I've never seen CT00 in any strategy I've come across.  I'll likely re-add it, though.  And I didn't say "more focused" or "better".  I compared it more to Oracle than the original mediator.  Essentially, all I did was add Haste to Insult, scrap negotiate for Anullment, and Death Sentence for Confuse, which just changes pacing.

Vanguard lacks robes, so he's gonna have a low base MP - something all those mentioned skills are going to have.  If that tactic is attempted, it's not going to be too too effective without MP support.  Of course, you cound move the moveset over to a mage and attempt this, but you'll have lower base HP, which means a weaker Shock, but you'll be able to do it longer...Not sure if Aura or Shock is the problem...

Geomancer...ok, I fully admit I'm not sure anymore as to what I was thinking...I just fell in love with the idea of ranged elementalist attacks - I'll be setting this one back to normal.  I'm gonna buff the damage a bit and remove the elements instead - it was always a pain to move into water to deal extra damage to bombs, or out of it to avoid healing Squidlarkins anyways.  Not like Earth and Water damage are in short supply anymore anyways...

Mundus - was going to be heavy damage, yes - not quite Flare tier, though.  This one may well be back to the drawing board, it seems.

Pride

QuoteI'm working with what basics I'm given.  Far as my research has told me, I can't remove Innate 2 hands or innate Martial Arts without losing the ability to equip them later (with a Monk/Ninja base).  Hence Gypsy's and Acrobat's innates.  I may well change Gypsy's curses, though.

Unless you got the power of asm magic! Which pokeytax has done or the other solution is that you should move it further down the job tree.

QuoteVanguard lacks robes, so he's gonna have a low base MP - something all those mentioned skills are going to have.  If that tactic is attempted, it's not going to be too too effective without MP support.  Of course, you cound move the moveset over to a mage and attempt this, but you'll have lower base HP, which means a weaker Shock, but you'll be able to do it longer...Not sure if Aura or Shock is the problem...

All their damage is not based on PA or MA, it comes from other sources (Selfdestruct, Shock). So MP stacking isn't a problem since they actually are not giving up offensive potential on their abilities. They can reraise themselves, selfdestruct, then shock for heavy damage after their reraise. Rest is not possible without some ASM hacking btw.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Myrmidon

actually, I like the idea of having Acrobat high on the job tree, just because of Throw, and how useful it would be early-game.  It's also a readily available money sink.  It always bothered me that by the time I got Ninja, all the junk I was saving (Mythril knifes, etc.) wasn't worth throwing.

OK, Shock is officially being removed, I'm deeming it the problem  Rest too, since I don't want to ASM hack any more than I have to.  Perhaps a few PA-oriented skills are in order instead...