• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:09:25 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Jon's Sprites

Started by Jon, December 09, 2009, 05:15:18 am

Jon

December 09, 2009, 05:15:18 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
Firstly, did someone maybe already make a Mog/Moogle sprite yet? And what about this one? Can someone please (if it already exists) show me a Moogle and especially a portrait? Thanks![/img]
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

VampragonLord

December 09, 2009, 05:45:32 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VampragonLord
***warning CoK Spoilers***
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gqz31OQAFQ

Mr. Quick towards the end.
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Cheetah

December 09, 2009, 11:51:20 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Yeah a moogle sprite has already been done, do a search for it I have no idea where it is. Your attempt is decent though.
Current Projects:

Kagebunji

December 09, 2009, 03:28:14 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
Your attempt isn't bad, but wings and pon-pon look flat
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

mav

December 09, 2009, 04:48:56 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
That's actually pretty nice. A little too cutesy for my tastes, but still pretty well done. As mentioned earlier, there is [at least] one completed version somewhere around here. My only complaint about it (other than it not being submitted) is its portrait. It could really use something better...

Jon

December 21, 2009, 11:32:05 am #5 Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:21:57 am by Jon
Okay, I am attempting to make a Mandalia Plains map with an Airship flying in the sky. Right now it is close to impossible to upload maps into the game, but hey, maybe in the near future? My goal is to change the ship from Warjilis Trade City into an airship, and step one is complete. I sorta cut out the ship and got rid of all the background in Photoshop, and for me it took several hours. If someone has a quicker way of doing this, please by all means tell me! Next I will fix the ship just a little (the netting looks soooo crappy to me and an airship needs propellers) and then insert that onto Mandalia Plains. If in theory all goes to plan, one day I would like to see the airship actually functioning, and units being able to board the thing only through means of Ignore Height or Fly. Sorta like the lonely bridge at Zirekile Falls where units can go on or under it...

Also, here is a somewhat small problem that I am working at: I am trying to make the Cannoneer from FF5 (GBA) into a special unit for FFT:

Original:

My Oracle-Cannoneer Problem:

Right, so any feedback or tips would be awesome. Please don't say oh man that is such crap right now because that I already know. Thanks![/img]

mav

December 21, 2009, 11:55:36 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
The airship idea sounds ambitious, to say the least. I definitely like the idea, and you picked a good base; that ship from Warjilis looks awesome. I'm not sure how this will all turn out, but you're on the right track.

As for the Cannoneer, that could easily be a seriously awesome sprite. The execution, however, needs some work. I can warn you now that making that pirate-type hat look right is going to be extremely tough. A couple of the spriters here were working on a pirate (you can check it out here), but they haven't gotten too far. The male Oracle is a decent base, but your coloring is really strange. The blue is way too saturated and I can't tell what's going on with the shading. You might want to make his coat a little shorter and narrower too. And post your sprites in PNG format, if you can; JPEGs just ruin quality.

Jon

December 21, 2009, 12:34:59 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
First, Mav, please make me a portrait! Your portrait of the Pirate was purely awesome!! The unit character was more or less a monk with a oracle head? Not a bad idea, but how about Agrias's body with oracle head?(minus the female qualities...)I like actually all of the portraits of the pirate, I mean the different variations.

Don't worry too much about the airship, I was working on it just now for like 2 hours straight and it already has the poles where the propellers will be, just gotta make some propellers (was thinking the only windmill like thing from the Goug slums), use that and make it much, much larger, easy thing to do with Photoshop. Not bragging, but my airship is looking better! Wooo!

Also for my Cannoneer/Pirate (haha cannoneers look like fancy pirates imo) I think I will actually use FFTA sprites for reference when it comes to the hat, just think of the Hunter meets Blue Mage! Well maybe...however I am still very new to unit sprites, I like mapping far better. Lastly, I agree, jpegs mess it up, however it was a .bmp, but whatever, you are right, it is pngs from now on.

jimmyjw88

December 21, 2009, 12:46:47 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
I like the idea of the airship. Interesting.
For the sprite, as what mav have said, blue is saturated, shadings need some work and etc. Good job though. Looking forward.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

December 21, 2009, 01:01:24 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
Thank you. I will continue mainly on the airship, hopefully will get some serious results by next week...as for the cannoneer, I am gonna attempt to make a Kletian portrait (my fav FFT character) wearing that same hat as in FF5, which is my fav pirate/commodor hat. If anyone else would like to take a crack at the portrait, that would be magnificent, because I can tell you already what mine will look like: Total Crap! haha!

SilvasRuin

December 21, 2009, 02:10:16 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Photoshop won't likely help you at all for the airship.  I think you need to take a look at the map creation tools that are available and see what can be done so far.  I'm willing to guarantee that just plugging an entire object into the game from Photoshop won't do jack shit.  The maps are a bunch of tiles with various information set about them and then skinned for 3D.  No matter how pretty it looks, I don't think Photoshop can do 3D.

Mav said about all there is to say about the cannoneer.

Jon

December 21, 2009, 02:36:46 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
Right, I hear you Silvas, but take a look at this. Also, it is good for cleaning up the ship, well imo...no offense, but Photoshop can do 3D...

Jon

December 21, 2009, 02:38:59 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
Now, which set of propellers should I use? Personally I like the highest one(in the middle). Also, Silvas or anyone, can I later plug in the finished airship into the map tools?

SilvasRuin

December 21, 2009, 02:46:52 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
So can you rotate the object and look at it from different angles?  If not, then it's not 3D.  Learn the difference between 2D made to look like 3D and actual 3D.  The FFT maps are the actual kind.  (I'm well aware that skins are 2D, not 3D, but you have to wrap an actual 3D object in those skins, so you still have to work with 3D to do what you want to do.)

Maybe I'm just seriously underestimating photoshop, but I HIGHLY doubt it's capable of an actual 3D model.  And if that image is supposed to be proof, if fails hard.  You can't prove something is 3D with a still image as still images are 2D.  "No matter how pretty it looks" and no matter how well shaded it is, 2D is 2D.

This isn't a jab at your photoshop skills.  I'm just pointing out what I'm fairly sure is a flaw in how you're perceiving the way program graphics work.

Jon

December 21, 2009, 02:59:57 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
Sorry, I misunderstood. You are right, but I plan to make the air ship from all angles, meaning a simple vertical flip for the right front (well I think...) and then I need to make just one of it from the back. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that is all I need...? 1 front view and 1 of the back and then vertical flip it in Photoshop...maybe I am just crazy. Also 2 from the R2 tilt view...? Is this enough or maybe I should give this one up and start anew with the tools, which I can't get to work ;_;
Either way, this right now is more or less an idea, let's see if I can even finish this simple Photoshop map (who knows, it could always be good reference for later use in the future)...

Smash

December 21, 2009, 03:03:12 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
True.

Perhaps.. That SketchUp program from Google along with using the ship textures could work for this, as to have a 3D preview model of how you want it.. Or maybe even Autocad, if you're willing to spend some time to get used to it.

Photoshop comes unessesary as fuck, as you can edit the pixeled textures in Paint.

Jon

December 21, 2009, 03:11:33 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
Yeah, I learned a bit of AutoCad and CADD way back when, when I was still in highschool. Never liked it too much, way to complicated to do the simplest things, no offense to anyone if you have a personal love of that program, but, Photoshop did come in major handy this time, I had to cut that ship out of the whole Warjilis town and I did that in like 3 minutes or something. Perhaps Paint can do that too, but I have Photoshop so I might as well use it. Plus, I know you hate PS or whatever, but really Smash, it saves time when you have 10 different brushes and layers...well at least for me...everyone has their own preferences I guess...I think PS is the fastest, but I am always open for something new...

Jon

December 21, 2009, 03:12:43 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
I just thought of something though: Smash you are probably right, because compared to you, my spriting sucks hahaha!

Smash

December 21, 2009, 03:31:18 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Nah. Like I've always said, in pixeling, the programs used won't change anything at all.

Using paint just makes you look pro. Lol.

mav

December 21, 2009, 05:17:34 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
It's all about personal preference; some people prefer something simple (e.g. Paint), others prefer the more heavy duty stuff (e.g. Photoshop). I use a number of programs to get my stuff together, but that's just me.

The pirate body (and Cannoneer body) may work with Agrias as a base, but it sounds like a lot of editing work. Someone was able to adapt the Thief pretty well. Maybe that'd work for the Cannoneer...