• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 10:16:41 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Final Fantasy Tactics: Kind Of PSP (Current Version: 2.6)

Started by Eternal248, April 21, 2012, 08:53:46 pm

Eternal

The PSP version doesn't have the fancy ASM hacks that the PSX version has, namely smart encounters and renaming party members. Rend skills were designed that way for a reason: not only to make Knights more threatening, but to slightly shift around FFT's economy a bit and promote defensive measures, such as Safeguard. Just remember: you can abuse it far better than they can. Rend + Bow/Gun = Fun. :D
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

LordMagus

October 30, 2014, 01:12:14 am #201 Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:12:08 am by LordMagus
Thanks for making this mod; I've been having a lot of fun with it.  I'm a few battles into Chapter 3, but I'll give some thoughts so far:

I think the Hesitation spell has been nerfed a bit too much- it costs more MP iirc, and hits only a single square.  Meanwhile, the Sleep spell costs the same JP, casts at the same speed, has an AoE with vertical tolerance, has the same accuracy, incapacitates for much much longer, and only costs 5 MP more to cast.  Edit:  I see now that they are both listed as 25 speed in the ability and help menus, but the Sleep spell is actually slower in gameplay.

Also, I thought I read in one of your threads that the Oracle Life Drain spell was supposed to be added back, with a MA*WP formula, but they don't have it in this version.  This makes Oracles pretty much completely useless against any boss characters, since they're now all immune to every status. 

Speaking of that, I personally found the Execution Site and Gate of Lionel a bit frustrating.  My go-to strategies were always to damage-rush Gaffgarion down, or put him to sleep until I got things under better control; but with his Def/MDef Up and immunity to everything, neither is an option anymore.  Since the Execution Site isn't even an assassination mission and you're heavily outnumbered (and I'll be honest, I wanted to steal that sword), it was all a bit much.  At the gate with my magey Capricorn Ramza, Gaff was doing well over half my health with a single attack; if I hadn't saved up my JP for most of the game to get Teleport, I probably would've been screwed.  Once again I don't think I could kill him through his buffed defenses, or even get to the switch with the limited movement abilities remaining in the game.

I really enjoy the quality-of-life improvements, like equipment being available in all stores and reducing the level requirements for some jobs.  However, would you ever consider including Gained JP Up back in a basic job, or even better, making it innate on all jobs?  I know you've mentioned that errands are now 1 day to compensate, but I feel that doesn't quite make up for it for a few reasons:
1.  Special units can't go on errands.
2.  There are a limited number of errands, and most errands seem to give out ~90-150 JP, while  getting to decent job levels can take 1000+ JP.  It's just not enough JP to make any substantial progress.
3.  Errands are usually best reserved for jobs that are basically worthless until you get a bunch of skills, like Arithmeticians. 
Plus, a lot of the basic intro skills, like Haste and Hesitation, now cost more JP.  Most of the skills that have been lowered in price are usually pretty worthless.  Also, WotL increased the job level requirements to open new jobs over the PSX version, and between the higher requirements and the lower JP gains, it's taking me forever to open jobs.  I've focused my characters down either physical or magical paths, and several battles into Chapter 3 I still haven't unlocked Ninja, Samurai, Arithmetician, Mime, Dancer, or Bard on anyone, and in many cases I'm not even close.  I just don't enjoy grinding.   :(

Of course, these are all just balance and preference issues.  I haven't run into any glitches or errors that I've noticed.  The mod's been really good all around, so don't take all this as criticisms.  Thanks again.

Edit:  Other stuff I've noticed- the PSX KO 2.0 changelog says Rafa is supposed to have Calc unlocked, and Marach is supposed to have Ninja- but they both came with level 1 Heaven/Hell Knight and level 1 Chemist.  Marach also came with an Acacia Hat and Onion Glove, which is probably a mistake.
The speed and MP cost information for a lot of the summons don't match between the ability menu and the help menu entries.
The Stall mediator ability has an AoE, but it's listed as a single-panel attack in the help menu.
Bard's Magical Refrain speed doesn't match between ability menu and help info.

Ok, that's all I've noticed for now!

Eternal

Thanks for the feedback, Lord Magus, and sorry for the late reply!

Hesitation and Sleep will likely be swapped around in the near future, with Sleep losing AoE and Hesitation gaining it back. Speed for all skills will be slightly off in the text, but the accurate Speed is displayed in the menu, for the record. It's just a little quirk that's quite a bit down on my to-do list.

The key to battles in general is using buffs and debuffs. Protect, Shell, and Poison are all buffed and are very useful. Naturally, things like Poison won't work on bosses, but you can certainly buff your party, debuff the mooks, and overwhelm the boss. That's my strategy in general, and it's how I designed a lot of these battles to play out- especially the end of Chapter II. I made that a roadblock on purpose to kind of get people to use buffs/debuffs a bit more. Just wait until KO PSP Critical Mode comes out. ;)

Life Drain will likely never return, sadly. Without the luxury of the ASM we have for the PSX version, we can't make a MA-based non-Percentile version of Drain.

The compromise on the JP issue that I'm working on is giving special units access to Gained-JP Up, but not generics, since generics can go on Errands. Likewise, jobs like Time Mage will be altered slightly. Haste/Slow becoming single-target, but cost less MP/JP to be suitable starting skills, for example.

All of Rapha and Marach's issues have been fixed for the next update... whenever that'll be.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

LordMagus

Thanks for the response.  I do think giving the uniques Gained JP Up would help.

Have Protect/Shell been buffed, outside of duration?  I see they were given slight vertical tolerance, which helps a bit I suppose.  Poison still strikes me as a Death Sentence-type status ailment: too slow to make a big difference.

As for buffing/debuffing, I agree to an extent.  But there are basically only two buffing classes- Time Mage and White Mage, so it somewhat limits your setups.  At the execution site, the mooks are too spread out to effectively debuff outside of a Dancer or Arithmetician (which you are not likely to have outside of excessive grinding, and their debuffing potential has been severely restricted at any rate).  Your team is spread out so buffing up is also difficult, and if skills like Haste are made single-target, that'll make buffing even harder.  And Gaf is a huge threat and can't be neutralized outside of a concentrated damage rush, which you can't do if you plan to steal from him.  Take too long attempting to steal and you just get overwhelmed by sheer numbers.  It kinda encourages just resetting if you don't get a steal to land on the first try or two (and honestly, stealing or breaking his weapon is the only real way to neutralize him, so you can ignore him until you've thinned out the rest of the enemies a bit.  Focusing your entire team on killing him for three rounds while he heals himself on your blood and you get swarmed by his backup is a recipe for disaster).

At any rate, it was just those one or two battles that seemed a bit much.  Even Vanilla had frustrating battles.  I did notice you seemed to make saving Rafa (both times) much easier, so that was nice.

Eternal

Statuses are exactly the same as they were in Vanilla, save for durations being altered slightly. Protect/Shell are almost universally useful, and Poison is great to sap away enemies with high HP while you clean up the rest.

I can safely say (in my experience, anyhow) that Golgorand was never an issue for me during my tests, and usually I save Blood Sword stealing for last. Whether your experience is just yours, or whether others are also having that issue remains to be seen, so I probably won't touch it too much until I get other feedback. I do have some ideas as far as making bosses more debuffable (is that even a word?), though. The key to Golgorand, I find, is to ignore Gaffy. Get your team together, heal, buff, debuff, and start turning the tides. It's always been one of those battles where you're going to be right on the edge of defeat at first until the tides turn. In thinking about it, every battle involving Gaffy revolves around getting your full party together...

Anyhow, Critical Mode PSP should be out soon, should you wish to test your meddle with that!

kyozo22

Quote from: Eternal on November 14, 2014, 06:34:13 pm
Anyhow, Critical Mode PSP should be out soon, should you wish to test your meddle with that!

*Mettle

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mettle

Mettle - 1. Courage and fortitude; spirit: troops who showed their mettle in combat.
            2. Inherent quality of character and temperament.

Idiom:
on (one's) mettle
Prepared to accept a challenge and do one's best.
  • Modding version: WotL

Eternal

I'm well aware of the proper spelling. I guess this is what I get for posting while on cough syrup, lol! Anyhow, Critical Mode should be out within the month. :)

Eternal

Just some very minor screenshots of what to expect from KO PSP Critical Mode: namely battles with many more enemies and a concept I'll explain tomorrow to make Summons more than just "beefy Black Magick":

LordMagus

December 15, 2014, 03:25:32 am #208 Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:41:00 am by LordMagus
Some things I've noticed; sorry if they've already been brought up:

In Tietra's revenge, I noticed she has Arithmetic; however, the only thing she ever used is Wish (or whatever it's called in this version).  I suspect she either doesn't know any magic, or doesn't know any math skills.

Lezales doesn't seem to appear in Lezales' Vengeance; just the archers and chemist.  Don't know if that's intentional. 

Onion Knights' skillset seems borked.  Luso came with some JP in it, so I taught him something like five abilities scattered around the skillset (like Mincing Minuet, etc). However, when I took him into battle, he had the FIRST five skills from the skillset, rather than the five I taught him.  I thought it was somehow just adding a new skill from the top for each one I taught, so I bought something cheap next.  However, taking him into battle again, he didn't have any new skills; still the same five.

Also, I assume it's normal that OKs don't earn any EXP or JP in battle (outside of Move Get JP)?  Basically makes it impossible to earn any JP, and Luso was severely falling behind in level, so I gave up on further experiments. 

While on the topic of OKs, the enemy variety in the storyline missions were a nightmare; each one felt like a boss-level unit.  Germinas peak took me a ton of retries.  Zalbag never managed to get a turn before his weapon was broken in all my attempts.  Dycedarg was far easier to deal with than any one of his guards.  Dunno if you're of a mind to adjust those missions, but they created serious difficulty spikes.

Edit: The Grand Armor is supposed to give Reraise, but it actually gives Reflect.
Edit 2:  I skipped ahead to the end; one of the Dark Behemoths in the Balk 2 fight (I think it's where Balk stood in vanilla) has Ramza's chapter 1 sprite.

Slowly working my way through the Deep Dungeon, so I'll let you know if I notice anything else.

Eternal

Thanks for pointing out these bugs. I already knew about the DD one, but the OK one is concerning. It may force me to rework how OKs work, since I suspected there was some odd hardcoding going on with them that I just didn't notice. And yeah, OKs can only learn JP via Move-JP Up. Dycedarg and Zalbag are getting buffed.

The Dark Behemoth sprite bug was also fixed already. Thanks for all of your information- hope you're enjoying it! :)

Knight Lord

January 19, 2015, 04:29:57 pm #210 Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:00:50 pm by Knight Lord
Hello, I stumbled onto this recently and so far I'm loving this mod, it makes it a bit more challenging which is perfect. I just wanted to say so far I do love this, but I've also came across the same issue with Onion Knight, but in my case I had initially learned only 2 skills and only the first two in the skill lineup displayed even after learning a third skill. I'll watch for a fix but if there isn't one I'll ignore OK just like I did before. At my current point (not very far yet) that's the only issue I've seen yet.

EDIT: One more thing, the Bonesnatch (second version of the Skeleton) that has death claims to have no charge, but it seems it does, albeit brief.
  • Discord username: Rever Seurwit

MithosFall

Hello.  I've really been enjoying this mod, but really early on, it seems that the chocobo sprite is broken.  It's just a few black lines and a shadow.  I patched the EU version of WOTL with PPF-O-Matic.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

Hmm, nobody else has reported that error and it doesn't happen to me. Did you patch a clean ISO? Also, where did this happen?

MithosFall

First off, I meant to update my previous post by saying that all battles after the one that I encountered that issue in have had normal Chocobo sprites, so everything appears to be fine now.  My apologies.

To reply to your comment, yeah, I downloaded the EU ISO directly before patching it.  And it happened in the first random battle that I encountered in Mandalia Plain.  I'll be sure to take a picture if it happens again.

Eternal

My guess is that I likely broke a sprite limit somewhere. Chances are that if it happened once, it'll have the potential to happen again, so thanks for the info! Other than that, how are you enjoying it?

MithosFall

Not a problem.  And I absolutely adore this mod so far.  When I saw that Goblins can Disable AND Immobilize you, and that Chocobos can revive allies, it was a little bit frightening, but the battles turned out to be not as hard as they looked, which is definitely a good thing.  It's more difficult than vanilla, and much more interesting.  The other mod that I found was one called "v1.3: Insane Edition" or something like that.  It was way harder than I wanted, so I'm glad I found KOPSP.  Also, I really like how you fixed the overpowered-ness of the Arithmetician.  A very elegant solution.

Eternal

Thanks! Please keep me updated on your progress and any feedback you might have. I'm actually thinking of releasing a minor update in the near-ish future along with KO PSP Critical Mode (a harder version of KO PSP with more swarms of more intelligent enemies), but I really want everything in KO PSP to be perfect first.

Nyzer

On the topic of Onion Knights - what are you doing to give them a learnable skillset? In my own testing, setting them to anything outside of Monster just caused issues - Default worked but only as a reflection of the Base Job's skillset. I.E. if Agrias knew ability 1, 3, and 4, so would the OK.

And yeah, they can't gain EXP and JP normally. If you want them to level up as OKs, you can give them innate Accumulates, a Steal EXP skill, or a level up skill with a non-Crystal status tied to it (using Wall as Banish might be a good one, preventing it from being used more than once in a single fight)

MithosFall

Um, well, I do have one question.  I was always annoyed at how difficult it was and how long it took to unlock the Dark Knight class.  In my second playthrough of WOTL, I started with a character from Level 1 with the sole intent on him becoming a Dark Knight.  I played with him only as the classes that I need to master or get to Level 8 to unlock it, and finally, at Level 56 and basically the end of the game, I did unlocked it.  So I was only able to use it at the end of the game.  My question was, could you decrease the requirements for unlocking the Dark Knight?  Because I'd like to actually be able to use it a bit over the course of a playthrough.

Eternal

Nyzer: I've been wracking over how to handle Onion Knights for a really long time now. Quite honestly, I'm tempted to do away with them altogether and just have Squires able to use all gear. I'm really not sure though, since that strays a bit too far from the original intention of the patch, IMO. I'm sure I'll wake up one of these nights at midnight with a flash of an idea in my head though. :P

Mithos: I can't take away the 20 kill requirement (I'm sure there's a way, but I'm not sure of it. The Trials in Chapter IV are a great way to get kills though), but I did reduce DK to requiring only 5 Geomancer/Dragoon/Samurai/Ninja instead of 8.