• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:26:17 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA2 Ability Animations

Started by frank grimes, November 08, 2014, 08:41:11 pm

frank grimes

Long time lurker first time poster, seen a few people wondering about changing animations of abilities, i've done that using hex but have no idea how to code a gui like the FFTA2 tools, i also have the hex locations for text locations like ability descriptions, set descriptions item descriptions etc, if anyone wants to collaborate together I think we could do some good for the ffta2 hacking community

FrozenDragon150

Me, me, me!

I don't really know how to hack or anything, i'm barely able to search for given addresses and alter their values, but i have lots of ideas and am currently figuring out a rebalance of the game, so i'd be glad to help out giving advice and testing

Jigi

YESS! could you please post the address for the animations
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Jigi

Eternal

Welcome to FFH, Frank. Certainly, we'd all be interested in seeing what you've found. Feel free to post your findings here on the forums, or here on the Wiki!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

frank grimes

Hey slowly working on a long list of the offsets for each animation, but pretty busy at work, will try for within a week to have them all up on the wiki, if anyone can suggest a top notch hex editor it might save me some time

advfox

I hear a lot of good things about HxD, and that's personally what I use myself. I can't really say for sure that it's the best though, since I haven't tried anything else due to HxD suiting all of my needs.
  • Modding version: PSX

bcrobert

My personal favorite hex editor is XVI32. But that's just me. It's one of the more user-friendly ones you can get for free. Hexecute looks nice but sometimes crashes and WindHex works but is God-awful to look at. I stopped trying new ones after XVI32 because my personal needs were met.

It isn't a bells and whistles hex editor, though, so if you want a long list of advanced functions to work with it probably isn't the one.

As Blue said, HxD gets favorable reviews. It's one of the most popular hex editors in the ROM hacking community.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

rrs_kai

Quote from: bcrobert on November 13, 2014, 09:27:26 am
My personal favorite hex editor is XVI32. But that's just me. It's one of the more user-friendly ones you can get for free. Hexecute looks nice but sometimes crashes and WindHex works but is God-awful to look at. I stopped trying new ones after XVI32 because my personal needs were met.

It isn't a bells and whistles hex editor, though, so if you want a long list of advanced functions to work with it probably isn't the one.

As Blue said, HxD gets favorable reviews. It's one of the most popular hex editors in the ROM hacking community.

off-topic noob question

there's one thing I couldn't get working in HxD and that's inserting table files (ffta707's), how to do that?
this is the only reason I am using windhex
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown