• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:09:30 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA: Revisited 2.0 Beta

Started by rrs_kai, September 21, 2014, 02:20:39 pm

rrs_kai

September 21, 2014, 02:20:39 pm Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 07:32:34 pm by rrs_kai Reason: Update to 2.0 Beta
FFTA: Revisited 2.0 Beta

Introduction
FFTA: Revisited is an enhancement hack of Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced that aims to capture the spirit of the original with many added improvements and difficulty changes. Most of the improvements are gameplay changes to jobs, skills, stat growths, enemy formations, tougher monsters and bosses. Read the documentation for a full list of changes.
Have fun, report if you find any bugs. All criticism is accepted :)

Features Overview
Missions
All the 300 missions can be completed much quicker because the mission items that were required are now removed. The player does not need any of them to finish the entire game (some remained because they recruit specific units).  Treasure hunts also changed not to give quest items.
All the story missions are slightly harder. Boss missions are meant to pose a challenge and they give great rewards. Side missions are to be completed with less than 6 party members. Clans have better equipment and abilities. Monsters have better stats and movement.
Rewards
All missions now reward two weapons. Removal of mission items means early access to powerful weapons. Missable equipment like Gastra Bow, Materia Blade, Rubber Suit, Galmia shoes, Zeus mace and Iceprism were added as rewards. All the story missions give much more AP. Goblins and Thundrakes no longer become extinct.
Equipment
Re-balanced nearly every piece of weapon, armor, hat, shoe, gauntlet in the game. Some 1-Handed weapons that were too strong got normalized and 2-Handed weapons got a well deserved power increase. Shields give evasion and defense or resistance. Short Bows add some speed, but are less powerful than Great Bows. Broad Swords add some defense, while Great Swords add status protection. Gauntlets give evasion or magic while, while Shoes give jump and movement or speed.
Jobs
All jobs of a race now share the same base stats. This means a newly recruited Ninja is the same as a Soldier, which makes Marche and Montblanc as good as any other unit. Extensive stat and skill changes to make every job usable and have some niche. Please post your suggestions if you find that any job is inferior/could be improved.

How to apply patch
1-Download the .zip file and extract it.
2-Start the included NUPS.
3-Click "Apply an UPS patch to a file". Another window appears.
4-Select a clean US FFTA rom and the .ups file and then click "Patch". A message appears showing success.

FFTA Revisited Documentation
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MjqOJdqyY_1azzn9dQikp5GXCB3QTM0INVOgfDwc8ro/edit?usp=sharing

Credits
Darthatron
   AIO editor
   Text editor
bcrobert
   Nightmare modules
   FFTA notes
Sephiran
   Shields fix
Leonarth
   Skip intro cutscene and battles
   Missing weaponand skill animations for all playable jobs
   Manual unit sort
   Custom Names
   Morphing changes appearance to monster
   HP and MP go till 4 digits
   Stat variance and fixed level ups
   Steal shoes

Eternal, Darthatron, bcrobert, dck, Leonarth, and the FFH community

Known Bugs
Monsters sprites are invisible in the Monster Bank. This is a visual bug and does not affect anything.

To Do
Change existing abilities
Add some abilities to monsters
Implement zero starting MP and 10% MP regen (stats already adjusted, will be implemented in the next patch once abilities are reworked)
Change law sets
Change story battle rewards and thrown items list
Change clan battles and post-game missions
Remove [Enhance element] from all equipment, move to accessories for better customization
Remove [Absorb and Null element] from weapons, move to shields
Remove [Null multiple status] from anything other than Ribbon, move to shields
Equipment and Skill descriptions (ongoing)
Update tool tips for skill descriptions (ongoing)

Changelog
16 Aug 2021 2.0 Beta - Added extra weapons for all jobs, added new enemy variations, changed all story battles
04 Jul 2020 1.061 - Removed Leoanrth's hacks because of a bug with Feather shoes, Galmia shoes, and Fairy shoes
03 Jul 2020 1.06 - Removed Reflex, Strike back and Shield bearer. Increased difficulty. Improved Support and Reaction abilities for monsters
13 Jun 2020 1.05a - Updated files to fix the Judge Reward, which was previously not working
06 Jun 2020 1.05 - Implemented Leonarth's engine hacks as an option
19 Dec 2018 1.0 - Redid from scratch and renamed mod to FFTA: Revisited
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

bcrobert

Might need to buff HP and lower damage values too, if you haven't already. FFTA tends to get to the point where you kill everything in 2 hits with sheer damage. That's partially because of the asinine damage formula that makes defense and resistance values literally half as effective as attack and power values.

It's good to see someone experimenting with FFTA finally. Been a while.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

rrs_kai

Quote from: bcrobert on October 01, 2014, 12:35:08 am
Might need to buff HP and lower damage values too, if you haven't already. FFTA tends to get to the point where you kill everything in 2 hits with sheer damage. That's partially because of the asinine damage formula that makes defense and resistance values literally half as effective as attack and power values.

It's good to see someone experimenting with FFTA finally. Been a while.

Thanks for the nice suggestion.
Base HP/MP of all classes has been buffed e.g. Soldier now starts with 90HP (the 0.2alpha patch includes these changes).
Weapons will have lower atk.pow and will boost other stats as mentioned in the OP....I have tested this in the first map and the goblins are quite challenging.

I am currently editing skills and skillsets to make them more versatile and less spammable.

---a sneak peek---

-Bolt sword 1range 45pow 100%accuracy
-Fire sword 3range 35pow
-Ice sword 1range 40pow and negates reaction abilities

-Fire breath 3 range 5AOE 25pow
-Blot breath 1 range T-shape 35pow
-Ice breath 1range T-shape 30pow negates reactioin abilities
-Bangaa Cry 1range T-shape 35pow 100%accuracy+confusion if facing face (like stare)
-Wyrmtamer -> Dragon Force

Soldiers are more versatile and will have the follwing skills replaced

Powerbreak ->Rush
Sensor ->Faster/Greased bolt
and more when I figure out how to balance Fighters/Monks

All changes have been tested and the game is proceeding smoothly.

bcrobert

But...Fighters and Monks are awesome. Granted Hunter has a better version of Fighter's best ability and Monks are just a Fighter with some cool perk abilities but...

Okay they're not that strong. But they have swag.

They would actually be quite useful if damage were comparable to ailments in this game. Sadly a disabled blind frog isn't very imposing, even with max stats. :P

rrs_kai

October 02, 2014, 05:21:03 am #4 Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:36:03 am by rrs_kai
Quote from: bcrobert on October 02, 2014, 12:19:55 am
But...Fighters and Monks are awesome. Granted Hunter has a better version of Fighter's best ability and Monks are just a Fighter with some cool perk abilities but...

Okay they're not that strong. But they have swag.

Fighter are offensively versatile and Monks have just about enerything you need (revive,earth render,far fist) making his skill set so valuable to the point that it becomes a no-brainer to have it as secondary.
I remember soloing clan wars with 1 monk and earth render.

My intention here is to make all classes have some kind of useful niche or versatility e.g. Defenders having aura and expert guard, Paladins can cover,holy blade...etc. I do not intend to nerf anything unless necessary.

Quote from: bcrobert on October 02, 2014, 12:19:55 am
They would actually be quite useful if damage were comparable to ailments in this game. Sadly a disabled blind frog isn't very imposing, even with max stats. :P

Frog is too powerful of an ailment, cripples both physical attackers/tanks and mages.
I would like to see a balance between ailments and damage as well

rrs_kai

FFTA:DE has reached v0.4 :D and with it brings skill changes to human and bangaa classes primarily, other clsses have also been balanced but I will mention them once their entire race is done.
Check the OP

The excel spreadsheet is not up to date and I will re-upload it once the documentation is complete.

---edit---
I forgot to change the starting party setup...its fixed now

Vaan

Seems like the Paladin rrs_kai wasnt being so useless after all. With that i mean good job. And keep doing a good job.
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

bcrobert

Quote from: Vaan on November 01, 2014, 09:17:52 am
Seems like the Paladin rrs_kai wasnt being so useless after all. With that i mean good job. And keep doing a good job.

I don't remember if AIO covers this yet, but you can patch the Boost/Cheer problem with one of my nightmare modules.

1. Open your ROM and ability effects.nmm
2. Go to effect 0x83 (Add: Boost)
3. Change viable targets to 0x14 (non-monster)

Granted this isn't ideal if you want charmed units to be able to boost enemy monsters but this is a lot easier than messing with the sprite data.

rrs_kai

Quote from: bcrobert on November 03, 2014, 01:37:16 am
I don't remember if AIO covers this yet, but you can patch the Boost/Cheer problem with one of my nightmare modules.

Thank you for testing my mod and solving an existing issue which I thought couldn't be solved in any manner possible (because the sprite frames don't exist).

I will test the nightmare modules, but before that permit me to be a noob and ask a few questions:

-1- how come your "FFTA:data archiving and nightmare modules" topic isn't stickied? how come the AIO isn't stickied? This is a hacking board and IMO the "hacking tools like the AIO and nightmare modules deserve more attention than mods". Tools open possibilities for hacking, mods are the outcome.

Quote from: bcrobert on November 03, 2014, 01:37:16 am
Change viable targets to 0x14 (non-monster)

-2- does this make the move have 0% accuracy for monsters or just prevent targeting them (causes a beep noise)?

I read your post and understand that nightmare modules allow you to edit the 4 effects of the a-ability. This means that I can actually implement a few dropped ideas (thank you). I will post more relevant content when I use them.

bcrobert

It should make them impossible to target, period. It would be like trying to control a zombie with Beastmaster skills. Nothing. Nada. Beep boop.

And yes, the modules go one step further than ability editing. You can use them to change instant death skills to 100% accuracy, make a fire spell that can only target weakened dragons, or whatever other crazy stupid things. The particular structure controlling that crap is really fun to play with.

Here are examples of some theory abilities, to emphasize the scope of control:

Effect 1: Dark damage based on physical attack. 100% accuracy.
Effect 2: If eff1 connects AND target is a non-monster; chance of inflicting Sleep.
Effect 3: If eff1 connects AND target is a monster; chance of inflicting Doom.
Effect 4: Heal self, HP healed based on eff1 damage.

Effect 1: Undead target; Half accuracy of normal attack, deal exactly 777 damage.
Effect 2: Non-undead target; Inflict Stop. Chance based on attack accuracy.

rrs_kai

---Minor update 0.41---
fixed boost (now monsters are not targetable)
added a few skills
updated documentation upto human and bangaa classes

Defender-Hibernate - sleep to heal ailments and auto-raise
Templar-Cheer -> Mana-Seep - drains MP from target
Beastmaster-Control - 100%accurate and will quicken the monster (have fun with blue magic)

All the above was possible thanks to bcrobert, his modules and the Nightmare1 editor.

Also I found this portrait ripped by Beam Lusinir Yosho (I attached his original file for anyone interested, I take no credit for his work), was wondering if the defender's portarit could be replaced with this one.....no one will ever mock him again (square could definitaly have done a better portrait but no, they just had to put a guard who sleeps on duty).
What do you think? should he become FFTA:DE's mascot? (when editing sprites becomes possible that is)

bcrobert

Quote from: rrs_kai on November 09, 2014, 09:00:15 am
Also I found this portrait ripped by Beam Lusinir Yosho (I attached his original file for anyone interested, I take no credit for his work), was wondering if the defender's portarit could be replaced with this one.....no one will ever mock him again (square could definitaly have done a better portrait but no, they just had to put a guard who sleeps on duty).
What do you think? should he become FFTA:DE's mascot? (when editing sprites becomes possible that is)

I vote paladin for mascot despite it not being the question. BECAUSE HE'S WEARING A TURBAN! SquareEnix could've gone the generic route and made paladins look like big hulking knights with crosses and rosaries but NOPE TURBAN! Also his official artwork dual-wields. Because he's just that badass.

EDIT. If that portrait was ripped doesn't it already exist in-game somewhere? Play around with AIO. I feel like it has portrait replacing on one of the job editor pages. Also blue defender is cooler than red defender. Moar swag.

rrs_kai

Quote from: bcrobert on November 10, 2014, 01:50:34 am
I vote paladin for mascot despite it not being the question. BECAUSE HE'S WEARING A TURBAN!

When I first saw the Paladin I wondered how the Japanese people could think of India, since when were turban men paladins? I also think he makes a great mascot.

When I started pouring ideas for this mod I named it FFTA:Extend because I saw the name FFTA+ being used somewhere (probably FFTA:X). I later made it Defenders Extend because defense became the main focus when balancing the game, it has nothing to do with the Defender class.

EDIT. If that portrait was ripped doesn't it already exist in-game somewhere? Play around with AIO. I feel like it has portrait replacing on one of the job editor pages. Also blue defender is cooler than red defender. Moar swag.

The blue Defender looks like a sailor (who's still sleeping on duty), just draw an anchor on his arm.
I'll look into the portraits and see if I can find it.

Lets say I do change the ally Defender to blue, should I also change the Templar to red? Templar's look great in both blue and red, I just don't want all allied sprites to be blue (the red Templar has taken my liking).

bcrobert

Oh...on second though, don't do that. I really love the blue templar sprite. The red one makes me think of a bull-fighter for some reason. For some reason I just really like blue bangaa.

I just remember swapping a bunch of the ally/enemy palettes before for fun. I always hated that the moogle thief and animist looked so similar, and ended up swapping everything around just so everyone would be my favorite colors. :P

rrs_kai

found it.
portrait index 5E 9C....thing is both ally and enemy defender's get the same portrait and neither of them are close to dark-purple

Quote from: bcrobert on November 11, 2014, 11:07:55 pm
I always hated that the moogle thief and animist looked so similar

point noted.
changed the ally thieves to purple (human and moogle).

also, revised the stats
speed range :1.0(lowest, for classes which previously had <1) to 2.0(highest)

Eternal

A lot of cool ideas. Glad to see someone else is interested in FFTA! When you come on IRC again I'll provide more detailed feedback, but what really sticks out to me is that there aren't many totally new, custom skills. Don't be afraid to experiment with new things. It's fun!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

bcrobert

Quote from: Eternal on November 23, 2014, 07:28:11 pm
A lot of cool ideas. Glad to see someone else is interested in FFTA! When you come on IRC again I'll provide more detailed feedback, but what really sticks out to me is that there aren't many totally new, custom skills. Don't be afraid to experiment with new things. It's fun!

I vote tedious hacking first, risky decisions later. Partially because that's my style and partially because I love disagreeing with Eternal.

Ethereal Embrace

I was wondering, how were you able to change the effect accuracy of skills?

Like on beastmaster's skill (which I love the idea), and on like thundaga and such? I don't really a 100% accuracy effect on the skill effects listing?

rrs_kai

Quote from: Ethereal Embrace on December 05, 2014, 10:48:22 am
I was wondering, how were you able to change the effect accuracy of skills?

Like on beastmaster's skill (which I love the idea), and on like thundaga and such? I don't really a 100% accuracy effect on the skill effects listing?

I used AIO for thundaga.
0x35 --> 1xDamage,100%hit (check flag 12 for physical/magical)

For beastmaster I added an effect which quickens the target
For this I used the Nightmare1 editor and the ability-effects module
here is the link to bcrobert's nightmare modules page and I got the Nightmare1 editor from a GBA FireEmblem hacking site (if I remember correctly)

Nightmare modules allow changing the damage effect, which in this case is sensor
The pictures should suffice, else ask.

I used the nightmare modules to edit a few more thinigs like Wyrmkiller --> heavy (3x) damage to dragons, the main post will be updated when I release the next patch.

Ethereal Embrace

whoa wtf, aio editor got major updates, didn't it?! last time i edited this game, i had to do all of that stuff with a hex editor.