• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:30:49 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

[Old] FFT Plus 1.02 upcoming changes

Started by Dome, June 01, 2012, 12:45:58 pm

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

skiploom188

I'm just gonna say what jobs I voted for:
-Squire (Something just turns me off with this one, can't really express what.)
-Thief (the FEMALE one)
-Calculator (what is up with that rectangle in their front?)

Feel free to contradict on my opinion, since I'm no hacker.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
======================================================================
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542
======================================================================

Dome

No need for anyone to contradict you xD This is a public poll after all, and I want to hear everyone's opinion on the matter

Taichii

idro aero and quake? XD
what is idro? :p
i like more details on this .. i'll work on this XD
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

Lady Ladile

Female Thief - As has been said, she looks like a chemo patient or something
Time Mage - Either one really; what's up with the stupid hats?
Calculator - Either one; big winter coats are not my thing.

Neophyte Ronin

A water spell.  Essentially the Water Elemental Spell that a Black Mage would use.

Dome is also from Italy, so he likely refers to the sub-alpine lake in the provinces of Brescia and Trento, Lake Idro.  Being sub-alpine, I think it has to be a blast of alpine water, subzero temperatures perhaps.

Neophyte Ronin

Regarding female thieves: they should dress in black with bandanas on their faces.

Regarding Time Mages: they resemble Mickey Mouse from his appearance in Fantasia, when he was the youth apprenticed under the magician Yen Sid.  Iconic as that appearance was, its use is still an anachronistic pop culture reference that cheapens the flavor and undermines the value of the character class.  However, if we wish to give them a full makeover, it better not involve giving them black faces with gold eyes.  That's just layering the pop culture references together.

Regarding Calculators: I thought the hairstyles were so mid-90s myself.

Dome

Squire / Thief / Geomancer / Samurai & Calculator
Most voted jobs ATM
I'll let this poll run for 1 more day, then it will be closed and we will "jump" to the next step

Dome

Poll closed, those are the results (Bolded names are the sprites that I'm going to change)
Squire   - 3 (7%)
Chemist    - 1 (2.3%)
Knight    - 2 (4.7%)
Thief    - 6 (14%)
Archer    - 2 (4.7%)
Monk    - 1 (2.3%)
Priest    - 0 (0%)
Wizard    - 0 (0%)
Time Mage    - 3 (7%)
Summoner    - 0 (0%)
Mediator    - 0 (0%)
Oracle    - 1 (2.3%)
Geomancer    - 8 (18.6%)
Lancer    - 1 (2.3%)
Samurai    - 4 (9.3%)
Ninja    - 1 (2.3%)
Calculator    - 7 (16.3%)
Bard    - 1 (2.3%)
Dancer    - 0 (0%)
Mime    - 2 (4.7%)

Dome

Now on with the second part of the poll!
Vote which specific sprites you want to kill (xD)

Jon

Hmm if you're gonna replace the generics, might as well post my opinion:

In order from the list
Knight -> Kagebunji/Twinees/Mav's Guardians
Thief (female) -> ANYTHING but maybe like R999/Lijj's Female Rogue or something
Samurai -> Lijj's 2 Samurais
Ninja (female) -> Kagebunji's Generic Female Ninja
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Argy

Jon,

They are exactly the sprites i am using for my DnD patch!! Though I have kept the femail ninja, only that now she has her blue alternative clothing.
  • Modding version: PSX
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

Dome

Dome

Dome

12 votes...that's good
I'll keep the poll opened for one more day, then it's set

Neophyte Ronin

The Earthbreaker sounds interesting.

The H Bag should be the C Bag, as in Croakadile Bag (gator skin bag).

It's nice to also see a drawback in using the Hydraskin in that it sucks balls when hitting something.

The Fallingstar, however, should have a little extra boon next to the Croakadile Bag, unless there's another feature it could have, because the power doesn't quite sound right.

Interesting: the Perseus Bow has a chance at Charming someone.  I also find its lowered range amusing, as well as power next to the Artemis (and yeah, I think we should change it from Ultimus because the online help describes the goddess of the hunt, aka Artemis or Diana).

The Yoichi looks like shitloads of fun.

Reeling in Evasion on the Cloths is one thing, but I think you missed the different between Persia and Cashmere.  That being there's no difference, period.  I'd outfit my team with Persias for the lowered price.

The Ryozan, on the other hand, looks like a reason to actually use a cloth, because the reduced Evasion makes them a lost cause compared to other lunging weapons.

If a weapon deals Earth Elemental, does Float negate it?  That would make the Gastrophetes a tentative venture.  If the enemy equips Gastrophetes exclusively, all you got to do is cast Float and negate their attack.  At least that's what I've come to understand about Earth and floating foes.  The loss of Double-Shot puts crossbows back on the lower end of the food chain.

The books look flat-out awesome.  The whole scope of Tactics' story is very Lovecraftian in its own way.  The Battle Dictionary is meant for fighting, while the Necro uses the powers of darkness.  It's a nifty gadget for avoiding those losers with three heads, assuming they still have Dark Whisper at the forefront of their abilities.

The Scorpion Tail deals occasional Poison at last.  Good to see the Morning Star come out on top, with a rival in the Scorpion Tail, but they seem to handle pretty much the same.  I've noticed their power levels are roughly equivalent....

The Lamia Harp should have Charm on it instead of Confusion.  The Fairy Harp is unusual.  I love how you nixed the redundancy of two lyres doing a similar thing.

Now, if Holy is the Fairy Harp's venue, should lyres not be available to both sexes so that both may benefit?

Also consider that Perseus is a mythical hero, so a bow of his might have a holy element (then again, Yoichi got Fire...) so it makes sense if his bow has the Holy Element like the Fairy Harp, or just switch them around.

While I would think a few would have their elements switched around, katanas look incredibly cool.  It's pretty close to what you'd expect from a line of elemental blades.  Was the Chirijiraden nixed for some reason?

I thought you made the Materia Blade a Knight Sword.  I liked that idea

Orichalcum is a legendary metal, an alloy of gold and some other metal.  Atlantis had untold wonders, so it's not inconceivable to imagine that the Floater/Levistone in FF lore was based on it.

Meanwhile, Platina or Platinum is a shiny gray-white metal, often used in the armor of purity worn by the Knights Templar in the game.  Purity, I'd expect, would guard against death.

By these connotations, I would think that it would be better to have the Death Protection on the Platina, and give the Jump +1 to the Orihalcon.

The Main Gauche is down but not out; it should, however, be three-quarters on par with the toughest shield, so it should be raised to 25% or so (unless the shields are brought down).

The Mage Masher used to be fun again, but I suppose it was too easy to rend one's psyche before, and you'd always gain it back, which made for easy casting.  I couldn't imagine a caster without one, in other words.  If it reduced MP by your attack but didn't gain it back, maybe then....

All in all, Daggers are returned to the sidearms they once were, which brings doubt to their viability in a fight.

An End-Game arsenal selection with multiple contenders!

The Oberisk (Obelisk is the proper term) has some defensive power, but it should be higher to contend with its cousins.

The Sacred Lance is always a contender for the crown, while the Dragon Whisker is handy for guarding against the elements.  Very cool.

Gungnir is flat-out awesome.  That's the kind of legendary weapon I'd use.

I recommend you consider making most Lances Forced-Doublegrip, save for lightweight models like the Javelin and Mithril.  They should be light enough for use in one hand.  It also causes you to question the merits of latter pieces and their paltry parrying power, while Javelins and Mithrils have the advantage of an optional Shield.  The Gungnir could also be a contender for one-handed use.

Forced Doubles should have power that emulates a Double-Grip so that Attack Boost puts its power a little above a standard Double-Gripped weapon; this should apply to axes as well.

The Spell Edge, called Spellbinder, lost its principal benefit because it's store-bought.  As a compromise, a tuft of magic power should be granted.

If not, then change it back and give another benefit to the Iga like a boost in Speed, or perhaps some other benefit such as enhancing Air and Earth for use in Punch Art.

The Sasuke is pretty cool and looks like a weapon I'd actually search for.

they lost their Evasion stats.  I would retain the 20% on the initial Rod, because while everything else is ornate and enchanted, you don't care what happens to a simple stick.  Furthermore, it's okay to give a mage a decent parrying tool.

The Elemental Rod sounds like a replacement for the Dragon Rod.  I like the Dragon Rod the way it was, barring the summon-Bahamut effect that took it over the edge.  It should have the half-element gig going for it, but it should also retain the name; like the Dragon Whisker, just not as limited in terms of defense.  Just in striking power.

As for the regular Elemental Rods, I would recommend giving them some half-resistance against their native element and then a weakness in another (like Water for Fire, Earth for Lightning, Fire for Ice).

The White Staff ought to be 1 WP if it's designed to Cancel Doom, because there aren't many ways to stop a countdown once it starts.  It's extraordinarily useful if it also guards against it as well, and has a 100% proc rate.

It seems the formulas are standardized to their originals' Magic Weapon style, suggesting to me that the wackier ASMs and hacks employed in previous weapon design has been rescinded.

I can see it in the Sage Staff, whose protections of Silence and Berserk mirror that of the old Magic Ring.

If you ask me, switch the resistances of the Gold and Rainbow Staves, as I can see Ovelia getting hammered with Gafgarion's Night Sword without it in place (unless, of course, his sword techniques aren't even Darkness elemental).

As with rods, give the expendable Oak Staff an edge in Weapon Guarding over its contemporaries.

Finally, and this is probably for the sake of feasibility: I say nix the Dual-Wield capability.  Staves are bigger than rods and not as long as Sticks, but long and heavy enough to preclude agile strokes with one in each hand.  At least, of course, if you disregard characters like Gandalf and the dude from the old game, "The Immortal", but they often had a sword in their main hand.  There doesn't seem to be a way to make a staff/sword combination without having a ridiculous staff/staff combination.

I like how the Octagon neutralizes EVERYTHING, rather than a few random bad things.

The Ivory Rod with Condemn?  I guess its a bone, true, but to pick that into the sucker's skin, that's just gnarly.

The Battle Bamboo is a little conservative in it's combat ability.  It should be stronger.

Iron Fan sounds like something that should strike hard but be forced double-grip.  Also consider an ASM hack where you can reduce a character's stats with equipment, such as speed in this case.

The Whale Whisker's defense against the elements is interesting too, and it says to me that the Magic Ring has been reconstituted into something else entirely.

The Rune Blade should have a boost in Magic or other effect instead of surpassing the lethal-sounding Diamond Blade as the deadliest non-elemental blade in the End Game.  Give Diamond some power like 14, while the Rune Blade gets to do something else at lowered power.

I noticed the Buster Sword became a Sword again.  This is pretty lousy, unless Cloud has innate Double-Grip or something.  Actually, Forced Double-Grip won't even work since it doesn't multiply.  Cloud's weapon is therefore pretty damn sour, for it it is the only way to enable Limit Break Arts.  That's a major step back.

The power levels seem okay in theory, so long as the Level Cap is brought to something like 50 or something.  I don't see these working out later in the game, at 99.  It looks okay so far, a few minor caveats here and there, but other than that, this looks okay to ship.

Also, I'm moving along with TactText work and I'm almost finished.  Let me know if you have specific naming conventions and which weapons are replaced by what.  Also, shout out about names of abilities and equipment I should incorporate.

I'm almost finished revamping the online help and menu scripts, everything but cinema events.  It's taken a while, but I'm satisfied with how it looks inside the program.  I'll have a save file and read the results in-game and get back to you about it.

Dome

As always, thanks for the extensive feedback Neophyte Ronin :-)

@Axes
All get +1 WP

@Bags
Thanks for pointing out that I screwed up the names. Fixing
FallingStar is AWESOME if someone doesn't need to attack but needs extra stats (Geomancy, for example). Also, remember that EVERYONE can equip them now, not only girls

@Bows
Ultimus -> Artemis, got it

@Clothes
Lol, I screwed up. Cashmere gets 12 WP and Persia gets 30% W.Ev

@Crossbows
Yes, float negates earth damage. That gives a reason to use float in the first place XD
Double-hit was cool, but buggy. I want to avoid buggy stuff. Any idea about what we can give to the crossbows?

@Flails
Yeah, you are right.
Whip gets 20 W.Ev and morning star goes down to 10

@Katanas
I assigned them elements with their Draw Out animation in mind :-)
Chirijiraden was both unnecessary and hard to fit. Also, I'm a Sephirot Fanboy and the masamune should be the greatest katana available XD

@ K.Sword
Buster sword is better as a normal sword rather than a K.Sword, and Cloud has 2-Hands innate anyway, so it doesn't matter

@ Daggers:
Implementing your suggestions.

@Lances:
Again, implementing your suggestions

@Ninja swords
Spell edge gains 25% Silence on hit :-)

@Rods: "Rod" get 15% W.Ev
Elemental Rod->Dragon Rod, 8 WP, 2 Hands only
Elemental rods get some more element interacts, I like that

@Staves
Implementing your suggestions

@Sticks
Battle bamboo will get 20 W.Ev and Whale Whisker will be forced 2 hands
Remember that we must give a sense of progression to the weapons :-)

@Swords:
Platinum sword cancels slow, Diamond up to 12 WP, Rune blade down to 9  WP and gets +1MA

@Other stuff
Nah, the level cap is fine as it is: Remember that there are many ways to boost Damage (Attack Up, Double Hand, Charge, Faith, etc etc...)
Do not worry about weapon formatting: I'll work on that :-)

RavenOfRazgriz

You realize that Earthbreaker is the strongest raw-damage weapon in the game by a noticeable margin, right?  And that Chaos Blade and Defender are both pretty much worthless, right?  Also, from skimming you and Ronin's posts, Float does not negate an Earth Element weapon attack without one of FDC's ASMs. Weapon attacks bypass that check as I recall.

These are just the things I notice from skimming.  I'm not invested enough in FFT+ to do a full look through but I tend to skim most things.

SWFFT

In my humble opinion, I wish there all the Knight Blades didn't have the same WP as they seem much less unique to me. You don't get the Ragnarock until the very end, so I wish it had something more compelling to make you want to use it in the final battle. I guess I also always liked to think of at least 1 Knight Blade as being the most powerful, so I was surprised that the Chaos Blade has no higher WP than the Defender.

Similarly with Katanas. As you progress through the game and get to unlock more Katanas, I'm a little disappointed that they always all have the same WP (I don't understand the legendary Masamune having the same WP as the Asura Knife, for example). Also, could you expand on dropping the Chiri for being unnecessary? I know I never used it for fear of breaking it, but it's such an awesomely destructive Draw Out that I like seeing it being used against me.

Dome

Quote from: RavenOfRazgrizYou realize that Earthbreaker is the strongest raw-damage weapon in the game by a noticeable margin, right?

Yes :-) Axes are Squire-only, and they give the player a reason to use Squires even during late-game

Quote from: RavenOfRazgrizAnd that Chaos Blade and Defender are both pretty much worthless, right?

The defender has the highest W.Ev in the game, I'd say it's far from useless, expecially for a store-bought weapon
I agree with the Chaos Blade: Maybe I can give it some status immunity as well?

Quote from: RavenOfRazgrizAlso, from skimming you and Ronin's posts, Float does not negate an Earth Element weapon attack without one of FDC's ASMs. Weapon attacks bypass that check as I recall

Guess I'll have to test it to see if it works as you said or not

Quote from: RavenOfRazgrizThese are just the things I notice from skimming.  I'm not invested enough in FFT+ to do a full look through but I tend to skim most things.

Thanks for your time, every feedback is helpful

Quote from: SWFFTIn my humble opinion, I wish there all the Knight Blades didn't have the same WP as they seem much less unique to me

Considering that you get only one of each Knight Blade (Except the defender, which you can buy from stores) I think they are already quite unique. 15 is the highest WP in the game, which is good too

Quote from: SWFFTYou don't get the Ragnarock until the very end, so I wish it had something more compelling to make you want to use it in the final battle. I guess I also always liked to think of at least 1 Knight Blade as being the most powerful, so I was surprised that the Chaos Blade has no higher WP than the Defender.

1) This isn't vanilla, this is FFT: Plus. You don't get the Ragnarock before the last battle, you steal it from an enemy
2) FFT+ does not end after you defeat Altima, you just return to the world map (And unlock the DD)
3) WP won't get higher than 15, not even for the Chaos Blade. But you are free to suggest what attributes it might have to be more powerful :-)

Quote from: SWFFTSimilarly with Katanas. As you progress through the game and get to unlock more Katanas, I'm a little disappointed that they always all have the same WP (I don't understand the legendary Masamune having the same WP as the Asura Knife, for example). Also, could you expand on dropping the Chiri for being unnecessary? I know I never used it for fear of breaking it, but it's such an awesomely destructive Draw Out that I like seeing it being used against me.

If I give the Masamune higher WP than the other Katanas, everyone will use it period. If each Katana has the same Stats but different elements, you will have to choose carefully each time, which is good
IMHO, there needs to be a weapon type that has all the elements in it, and Katanas are good candidates IMHO (Since Draw Outs will be all elemental as well)
Last, but not least, unless you grind a lot you won't unlock Samurai until late Ch3, and at that point you have most of the Katanas available to you

P.s: I removed Chirijaden because I'm a Sephirot Fanboy and the Masamune must be the "secret" Katana. (I'm serius, that's the reason)
If you still want to see the animation, I can easily use it for an enemy-only skill :-)