• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Youtube HD Video Tutorial

Started by Archael, December 28, 2008, 08:56:15 pm

Archael

December 28, 2008, 08:56:15 pm Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:00:59 pm by Archael
The first FFT HD video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hHUAOTu8dc&fmt=22

I am writing a guide on how to pull this off for people wanting to show their findings and projects on Youtube.
You hear me BASTARD POETRY? READ THIS! COK PART 2 IN HD!

1) Your Recording Software
Find the settings / options of WHATEVER program it is you use to record and make sure to disable ANY auto-compression codecs it may be using. Try to find a setting called "None" or "No Compression" or "Full Quality".

NOTE: If your Recording / Capture program doesn't have an option for saving videos at their raw, untouched, full quality, find a better Capure Program because that one sucks.

2) Pre-Encoding Phase
This is where most of you edit your videos. Do not make the mistake of thinking every video editing program is any good at encoding at decent quality. Make sure whatever software you use to edit doesn't auto-compress it by mistake when you save your changes. You want to work with the huge, 1-20 GB raw video file. You don't want to compress it yet. Finish your edits.

3) Compression for HD

Decide what program you're going to use to compress the video for the web. You can't upload 10 GB files so we need to shrink it. How you go about the compression stage is crucial.

When you are ready to save your final video, find the compression method MPEG-4 (MP4) and save your video with these settings:

FORMAT:
- MPEG-4 Standard (MP4)
VIDEO:
- H.264 Compression Codec
- Best Quality (I'm not kidding, set the slider or whatever to the MAX)
- Data Rate: 3000-7000 + kbps (3-7 Mbps) Personally, I use 5000.
- Image Size 1280 x 720 HD (Letterbox it if you want to keep FFT's 4:3 Aspect Ratio, very important otherwise it will stretch to the sides)
- Frame Rate: 30
- Key Frame Every: 30 Frames
- Optimized For: Streaming
AUDIO
- Format: AAC-LC(Music)
- Data Rate: 256+ kbps
- Sample Rate: 48.000 kHz
- Encoding Quality: Best

This will produce a wide, HD video. Note that they will be a little bigger than normal encodes by about 100-200 MB depending on size and length. They will also take much longer to upload compared to normal videos.

The specs given are what I use. But mainly the important part is the video's size and frame-rate.
Youtube simply won't even consider it HD unless it's in 1280x720 and with a high datarate.

There's many ways to get HD videos up on the web, this is just the best way I have found to do it for Youtube. Be sure that there are many others besides this one.

Hope you found this helpful.

- Voldemort7

Zephyr

December 28, 2008, 09:02:11 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zephyr
Woot you rock Arch!

Bastard Poetry

January 03, 2009, 03:00:17 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Thanks, son!
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)