• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:03 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Applying asm hacks?

Started by pontifficator, November 21, 2018, 10:17:09 am

pontifficator

I'm trying to figure out how you apply the ASM hacks people have posted in threads on this forum. I'm new to this and don't understand how you use the pre made asm patches.. thanks.
  • Modding version: PSX

Raijinili

Use the program FFTorgASM, part of the FFTPatcher suite. You need to put the XML files you downloaded into the FFTPatcher folder which contains a bunch of XML files. It will apply selected changes to the selected ISO.

There are probably links to guides on using the patching programs to apply mods. If not... maybe there should be a Help subboard or a sticky just for people who want to play others' mods, rather than create their own. Having a dedicated (and, importantly, OBVIOUS) place for mod players, free of the clutter of info for mod-makers, might make things less intimidating, and it's useful for both makers and players.

It doesn't help that the Tutorial Index has ASM hacking as the second section, and puts ISO patching all the way at the bottom. :/
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

QuoteIf not... maybe there should be a Help subboard or a sticky just for people who want to play others' mods, rather than create their own.

I'm... confused at this statement. Because applying ASM hacks is part of the latter, not the former.

And there's a topic near the top of the Tutorials board that says "how to patch an ISO with a ppf file", which as far as I've seen has typically just been the standard way of playing someone's finished mod as is. I guess it could be stickied, but (again) as far as I've seen, "how to PPF" is not a very frequent question around here anyway.

QuoteIt doesn't help that the Tutorial Index has ASM hacking as the second section, and puts ISO patching all the way at the bottom. :/

... Why does this matter? That post takes what, a literal minute to read? Someone who can't manage that much certainly won't be able to get as far as unzipping any files they download anyway.

Raijinili

Quote from: Nyzer on November 22, 2018, 11:56:46 pmI'm... confused at this statement. Because applying ASM hacks is part of the latter, not the former.

Yes. I am suggesting that there should be an obvious resource for the former, and I also say that it will help the latter directly and indirectly.

QuoteAnd there's a topic near the top of the Tutorials board that says "how to patch an ISO with a ppf file", which as far as I've seen has typically just been the standard way of playing someone's finished mod as is. I guess it could be stickied, but (again) as far as I've seen, "how to PPF" is not a very frequent question around here anyway.

Most of the topics are by people who either are repeat posters, or who don't even realize that's the question they have, so that's a given.

I'd either ask for a sticky or ask that it be added near the TOP of the index.

Quote... Why does this matter? That post takes what, a literal minute to read? Someone who can't manage that much certainly won't be able to get as far as unzipping any files they download anyway.

Oh boy. Uh.

Designs need to consider the potential audiences and the need to reach them. The focus has been on modders and modder resources, but it is also important to make the process less painful for end-users so that the mods will be played.

As someone who interacts with less-techy FFT players, I notice a lot of them get intimidated by processes or the idea of those processes (and I feel that intimidation myself, when it's not an area I'm familiar with).

Imagine you're a newbie trying to read a book on programming and Chapter 1 is, "Turing Machines, Lambda Calculus, and the Infinite Oracle Model". You might fling that book as hard as you can and run the other way. (Or you would, if you knew a little about programming already.) First impressions matter. People EXPECT the stuff at the top is the easy part, or the part they need to know before the rest.

They're not going to take a minute to read it, because they're going to stop, close the tab, and try to find the RIGHT topic, because this topic is clearly not for them. Maybe that's not everyone, but that's going to be a lot of people. You call that incapability, and I call it a time-saving judgement which just happened to be wrong this time.

3lric

It's fine where it is.

That was easy
  • Modding version: PSX