• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:58:17 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT Patcher (.497)

Started by formerdeathcorps, May 14, 2011, 03:57:55 am

formerdeathcorps

Glain, 84261 is the disk sector WORLD.BIN starts in.  That would mean WORLD.BIN starts at 0x0BD003F0 = 84261 * 2352 in the ISO, which checks out as correct.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Glain

December 30, 2011, 12:27:37 pm #21 Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:04:09 pm by Glain
I think I fixed it.

There was a variable that determined whether or not any store inventory patches were made... but it didn't update properly, because the "Store Inventory" checkbox on the Patch PSX ISO form didn't have an event handler. I added it in and I'm getting results.

I'm attaching my new version of FFTPatcher. Let me know if it works (i.e. you can edit shop inventories with it).

EDIT - This is in the latest attachment. Removing from this post.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

It works, I just tested it. Wonderful job!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dome

So...we can edit shops with the FFPatcher now?
P.s: For the love of god, please tell me you guys are not using a FFPatcher with WOTL names

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Eternal

No, it had Vanilla names. And yes, the shop function works in this- as does Propositions. I tested Props earlier with FDC.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dome

Epicly awesome
Even better would me combining every tool we have into one...but I think it's not possible >_>

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

formerdeathcorps

I intend to submit this to Site Submissions, but before we do, can we please update the checkboxes and formula descriptions?  478 is in many respects worse than 457.  In other words, integrate the findings of:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=4714.msg105412#msg105412
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6538.0 (Just the formula descriptions)
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=3092.0
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=4554.msg103524#msg103524
into the formal descriptions of checkboxes on FFT Patcher.

I'll also soon give an picture attachment showing what I mean.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

formerdeathcorps

All right, here's the picture.

Glain

December 31, 2011, 09:24:33 pm #30 Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:26:34 am by Glain
All right, I made a few changes, namely:

* Updated flag titles so that they're like the post above, with my own changes in some places (in an effort to make things clearer). In some cases, if I had already renamed a flag and it was similar to what fdc showed in the image, I didn't change it.
* Redid ENTD descriptions. Many events were listed as the wrong ENTD, some were unlisted. Many names were too long and got cut off, so those were shortened.
* Updated formula descriptions to include evasion type.

I'm calling this "0.479" to differentiate from previous versions, even though it doesn't really correspond to an SVN check-in or anything like that. This is basically a candidate for what we could end up using for "0.479".

Anyhow, this should work the same as before. Hopefully this update makes things a bit clearer. I'm attaching it to the bottom of the post.

EDIT: Unattached rar file because it didn't include the needed DLLs; see my post below for the new version.

3lric

I just downloaded this and it looks very nice already, it's very helpful to someone like me, where i have done alot with ENTD but nothing with abilities personally.
Also, I was wondering if you guys could add in the 2 missing flags under immortal in ENTD or the one under Has ??? Stats? I don't even know what these are personally, but I'm sure
they could be useful
  • Modding version: PSX

Glain

January 01, 2012, 01:25:36 am #32 Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:06:13 pm by Glain
Oops, I forgot to include the DLLs that it needs to run, so you might still see the old labels if you just run the program. Try this file instead; I've included the right DLLs in it.

EDIT - These changes are in the latest attachment. Removing from this post.

RavenOfRazgriz

I've been using the .479 you posted to assemble Journey of the Five Chapter 1's battle system, Glain, and I noticed a few things -

1. You have two flags in the box with "Learn with JP (Player)" etc. labeled as "Requires Monster Skill" and "Uses Weapon Range."  Yet, these flags are never used in the entire game, not even on Monster Skill attacks or the Charge command, where they would be applicable.  How do you have any clue they do as you've written they do?

2. In the top box full of flags, you have the topright-most one labeled as "Longbow Attack", but again, it's never used once in the entire game.  How can we be sure it's for "Longbow Attacks", then, when Vanilla can't even natively make a Longbow-only Attack?

Or maybe I'm retarded and these flags are used somewhere I skimmed over, but I couldn't find any instances of any of them being used once.

formerdeathcorps

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on January 10, 2012, 01:34:44 pm
I've been using the .479 you posted to assemble Journey of the Five Chapter 1's battle system, Glain, and I noticed a few things -

1. You have two flags in the box with "Learn with JP (Player)" etc. labeled as "Requires Monster Skill" and "Uses Weapon Range."  Yet, these flags are never used in the entire game, not even on Monster Skill attacks or the Charge command, where they would be applicable.  How do you have any clue they do as you've written they do?

2. In the top box full of flags, you have the topright-most one labeled as "Longbow Attack", but again, it's never used once in the entire game.  How can we be sure it's for "Longbow Attacks", then, when Vanilla can't even natively make a Longbow-only Attack?

Or maybe I'm retarded and these flags are used somewhere I skimmed over, but I couldn't find any instances of any of them being used once.

These are from SA's notes when he debugged part of the AI code.  These flags are unflagged on the skill table (SCUS), but are hard-code set when the skill has the necessary property and translated into the skill RAM table (BATTLE.BIN), which then affect the AI.

RavenOfRazgriz

I see.  Okay then.  Good to know.  Then shouldn't they have like, DO NOT TOUCH labels or something on them, then?

Also, why the hell was Persevere renamed to "Channel"?  I had to open up .457 to see what the fuck that even was, and Persevere is still the better name since it's easier to understand what the skill actually does.  (Aka, I can read the word Persevere and know the effect persists.  I read Channel, and, um, think of a TV, honestly.)  I heartily request that one gets reverted.  The other renames are much better overall, but that one sucks.  Though, speaking of a rename, I'm surprised "Vertical Fixed" wasn't at least attempted at giving a more descriptive name, but I suppose the current one is decent enough once you see how its used.

formerdeathcorps

Well, I could see the use for the "longbow range" flag since someone may want the AI to use a skill only from 3-7 range away (though the AI may try to overreach and hit units beyond its range if it stands at a higher elevation).

RavenOfRazgriz

That last bit was what I thought too, main reason I suggested them having DO NOT TOUCH labels.  If the AI never targets outside its legal range from a higher elevation, though, I could see use for that flag.

RavenOfRazgriz

Another thing I noticed: The "Normal Attack?" flag was renamed to "Counter", but Counter is tied to the Countergrasp flag (which was inaccurately renamed to only be "Blade Grasp").  For example, I can Counter the skill Steal Weapon, but it does not have the "Counter"/"Normal Attack?" flag checked, merely the "Blade Grasp" flag.  Last I recalled, "Normal Attack?" governed Hamedo, but Hamedo triggers on skills such as Weapon Break which do not have "Counter"/"Normal Attack?" flagged - and it should be obvious that I can Counter these skills as well.

So please, rename "Blade Grasp" back to "Countergrasp."  I think that "Normal Attack?" is pretty much the correct name for that flag - the only skills that use it are the two we know govern the Attack command in some way. (Those would be the topmost skill, and bottommost skill that's directly above Potion.)  How this flag affects those skills, I do not know, but my theory would be that it tells the AI that those skills are legal for use within the Attack Command?  I tried to edit the Attack command to contain skills many eons ago and failed because the AI wouldn't use them, but none of the skills had "Normal Attack?" flagged.  Then again, I also couldn't flag it, as I was attempting to do this with the Charge skillset.  But still.

Glain

We may need to think about some of these labels a bit, because in some cases the original names didn't make any sense either.

"Normal Attack?": This is fine, except I'm trying to avoid question marks, but we could use "Normal Attack" or keep "Normal Attack?" if there's really nothing better.

"Countergrasp":
Affected by Blade Grasp as the counter ability?
Having Blade Grasp equipped causes a counter strike?
Counters Blade Grasp with a counter strike?
Can't be affected by Blade Grasp, because the ability counters it?
Who knows!

Any way to make this better? Are Counter and Blade Grasp the only abilities affected? "Counterable" is really vague but we don't have much space. Maybe we need a tooltip or something. Or "Counterable (ALSO BLADE GRASP)" :)

"Persevere":
The only thing this flag name suggests is that you would continue charging the ability even if you get attacked. However... that's how all abilities work (Attacks don't interrupt you; you just take more damage). I tried changing it to "Channel" because at least an ability being flagged as channeled would imply that it uses up your action... however, as you say, that label still isn't necessarily great at describing what it does. I contend that "Persevere" is worse ("I had to persevere through the adversity of having turns in order to keep charging/channeling my ability?" I would never guess that it means that).

Continuous? Perform? Performing? Continue Through Turns? I played around with "Skip Turns" but it's ambiguous whether it skips the caster's turns or the target's, and in what situation. I don't know... we should be able to find something that makes sense here.