• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:25:31 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

The ins and outs of custom job creation.

Started by emccalment, August 15, 2011, 04:44:03 pm

emccalment

ANOTHER NOOB!!!!! RUN!!!!! I've found about a million and one posts on changing sprites in all necessary places, and I've started dabbling, so I'm positive that will go off smoothly. You guys provide very nice tutorials, assuming you don't try the ones listed on the FFH homepage.  :shock: My time for research is somewhat limited by the fact that I'm currently deployed and need to maximize my learning curve, hence asking questions rather than continue to pour over the search function. I promise I've used it!!!

Currently I'm using the PSX version since it provides something I can learn with until I get a PSP. As I understand it, the custom job names and skills are created through a combination of FFTacText and FFTPatcher. My questions will be noob to the fullest, I apologize in advance.

1) Am I right in assuming you would assign a Job and skillset name/description in FFTacText, then when you're satisfied with everything there patch the ISO and move to FFTPatcher, and find your newly assigned job, to assign the skills and edit values for the job?

2) Is there a mega-basic tut for using FFTacText? I looked but couldn't really find anything. I'm running through wine, and when I open the ISO and look at all the descriptions nothing is changeable, all just selectable, unless you go to quickedit, in which case the text line becomes editable, but apparently unsavable? I'm sure I'm overlooking something that should be obvious.

Those are my base questions to get me into the crawl mode where I can start fiddling around and learning as I go. I just kind of need a jumpstart. Thanks in advance! If this type of thing has been asked a million times I greatly apologize.

Eternal

1) If you want to edit what you see in the Patcher, you'll need to edit the resources.zip file. Open that .zip and open the files in the PSX folder. Abilities/items/etc. This will edit what is displayed in the Patcher, making it easier to keep track of edits, but will NOT edit what is displayed in-game. You'll need to use TacText for that.

2) You can save your progress by going to FILE -> SAVE .FFTTEXT. You can save it and re-open it later that way. Alternately, you can just patch the ISO directly and open the ISO to continue later, but that's not recommended.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Glain

Just wanted to say it's quite interesting that you mention running the FFTPatcher suite in wine -- we've had a few people attempting to do that, haven't we, with little success? Was there anything non-straightforward about getting it to work?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Quote from: Glain on August 18, 2011, 02:10:14 pm
Just wanted to say it's quite interesting that you mention running the FFTPatcher suite in wine -- we've had a few people attempting to do that, haven't we, with little success? Was there anything non-straightforward about getting it to work?

Seconded.

emccalment

Nothing like coming back to a topic over a year later. Shortly after I posted this up I got moved to another unit and my workload completely changed, hence my faceplant off the end of the world.

When I was running FFTPatcher in wine I didn't run into any issues. I don't know that I would consider that to be normal though. My version of wine had many changes that I made in order to run Torchlight, RGFHotspot, and some other random games. All of these changes were made with winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks) at the console. If I remember they largely circled around the Microsoft .NET framework and DirectX.