• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:11:54 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Tethical, online FFT clone

Started by Kivutar, February 25, 2011, 04:38:42 am

Kivutar

I like the rock-paper-scissors + support idea.

I was thinking of something like that:
1) An Android knight class, for melee
2) An Esper class with psychic powers, for buffs & magick attacks
3) A Gangster class, mix of thief and gunslinger
4) A Chemist class, with potions, molotovs, adrenaline
The sprite for these would look good, don't you think?

But yeah, thinking the whole thing with a rock-paper-scissors relations smells good.

I made some experiments with glow filters in panda. The map looks too much like a Mako reactor, so we can't use it for the release. But the glow effect can be used somewhere else, even on sprites:

Tethical, an online FFT clone

Kagebunji

Even sprites could glow? That is interesting. Do you have a screen shot at hand or something similiar?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RandMuadDib

I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Kivutar

June 18, 2011, 04:45:14 pm #143 Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:46:35 pm by Kivutar
Quote from: Kagebunji on June 18, 2011, 08:19:03 am
Even sprites could glow? That is interesting. Do you have a screen shot at hand or something similiar?

Here is the base sprite image, the glow map image, and the result in the engine.

+ =

Quote from: RandMuadDib on June 18, 2011, 03:02:11 pm
Great for ghosts and robots!

Yes. I saw it the first time on this technical demo from panda3d:

Kivutar

Baking shadows experiments:

Kagebunji

This is Warjilis map, right? Those shadows look really nice.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Kivutar

Quote from: Kagebunji on June 21, 2011, 10:02:47 am
This is Warjilis map, right? Those shadows look really nice.

This is a custom map made with blender. I reUVmapeed it, because Lijj is trying map texturing. The colored square are here to help him. I remapped it better than it was, and now baking shadows from Blender works well.

The first goal is to replace all the copyrighted content so we'll be out of copyright infrigement. The second goal is to provide a free sample game for newest users of the engine.

Also, this map is textured with 40x40px tiles instead of 20x20.
Lijj will also try double resolution sprites.
If more spriter wants to join the experiments, just apply in this topic. I will give support.

Here is an in game screenshot:

MysticKnightFF5

Is the color limit on sprites higher in tethical? If so, I can see this glow effect getting spammed... which I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

June 21, 2011, 03:32:41 pm #148 Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:36:41 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
That looks so much better with good shadowing.  Don't forget that the character shadows change and flow as they go through their "mark time" animation.  Have you looked into Scale2x?  It's a filter you can run sprites through, to make them look a little better sometimes.  2x resolution doesn't mean much if the sprites aren't improved.

Looking forward to those glowing sprites in our cyberpunk deep dungeon level.

Kivutar

Quote from: MysticKnightFF5 on June 21, 2011, 12:27:23 pm
Is the color limit on sprites higher in tethical? If so, I can see this glow effect getting spammed... which I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Yes it is. What do you mean by spammed?

Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on June 21, 2011, 03:32:41 pm
That looks so much better with good shadowing.  Don't forget that the character shadows change and flow as they go through their "mark time" animation.  Have you looked into Scale2x?  It's a filter you can run sprites through, to make them look a little better sometimes.  2x resolution doesn't mean much if the sprites aren't improved.

Looking forward to those glowing sprites in our cyberpunk deep dungeon level.

What is the "mark time" animation?

I took a look at Scale2x. It would be interesting to implement it directly in the engine as an option to make the official sprites better.
But for now, the sprites of the demo are going to be directly drawn at double resolution, and I hope it will give a very nice result.

MysticKnightFF5

Spammed meaning "used every chance they get"

Kivutar

June 22, 2011, 11:28:56 am #151 Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:29:24 am by Kivutar
I understand what you mean.

It reminds me when we used to play private Ragnarok servers. There was a ton of noobish servers made by people with absolutely no taste, full of winged custom sprites with absolutely no palette respect.

Like this:

It is not the role of an engine to add restrictions to prevent game-makers stupidity :)

So yes, if we success in making Tethical user friendly, there will be such servers. Please AVOID THEM :D

MysticKnightFF5

course not, but I foresee jedi and sith, lots of 'em

RandMuadDib

well as long as the entire server is starwars theme, i don't see a problem with that :D
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Kivutar

Wow, with the help of Panda3d community, I fixed an awfull bug causing people to join parties already full instead of the party they clicked on.

I reported the bug here. https://bugs.launchpad.net/panda3d/+bug/800861

Two days of work lost on this bug :mrgreen:

Lijj

I quiver with disgust at such sprites..
When people have unlimited colors it seems like they tend to pick the worst possible ones.
Texture venturing begins now almost (4pm for me).. limited colors will save us!
  • Modding version: PSX

lirmont

I think a majority of the art direction of FFT (released in 1998) was dictated by space requirements, almost requiring the space-saving technique of assigning a palette (as opposed to storing each pixel as an individual color) and probably influenced in no small part by the fact that Quest's staff (the people that developed Tactics Ogre, released in 1995, and the people who got brought on by Square for this title) had recently finished working with a very similar set of restrictions for a game on a 16-bit system (namely, the SNES). In other words, at least in the case of the SNES game, they made the best use of what space (and ability to address said space) they could. Anyone who's looked at a sprite sheet in terms of size knows none of FFT's original sprites are small (when taken as a whole), but each individual frame is tiny by today's standards. Inasmuch, if you choose not to innovate at all and re-use the same stringent restrictions that Quest originally developed, no big deal, but I bet you would want to use more colors (appropriately) to address the needs of a sprite with larger frames than FFT's sprite sheet as a matter of artistic course (which has nothing to do implicitly with color restrictions and everything to do with color choice and perception).

GeneralStrife

Kivutar, what exactly do you need in terms of art? I'm not the best but I Can try and whip something up

Lijj

June 22, 2011, 11:34:35 pm #159 Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:17:13 am by Lijj
Lijj's progress so far (lunch hour):

I think 16 color sprites are ok for this but 20-21 would be pretty sweet; both could work
  • Modding version: PSX