• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:55:38 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Shintroy

Vs Reks - Hard match up. Unfavorable maps. Didnt design the team well enough. Would've been shocking if I won.

Hero vs Epic - Epic usually doesn't put any decent amount of revival on his teams. One unit reaching critical or KO and its usually over, especially against an aoe mime team.

GGs.

For the last request, I'll make the team all around solid. I focused too much on making the units showcase their main abilities instead of making a competitive team.
Some day my people will be free.

Barren

September 20, 2015, 12:34:40 pm #4361 Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:39:46 pm by Barren
Just a quick heads up I'll be uploading a series of matches featuring 4 of silentkaster's new teams. I dub it "The silentkaster show" :D

It should be uploaded either tomorrow or Wednesday morning pending on the time. Let's just say my college's parking lot is terrible durng the morning
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Barren

Quote from: Shintroy on September 20, 2015, 10:34:00 am

Vs Reks - Hard match up. Unfavorable maps. Didnt design the team well enough. Would've been shocking if I won.

Hero vs Epic - Epic usually doesn't put any decent amount of revival on his teams. One unit reaching critical or KO and its usually over, especially against an aoe mime team.

GGs.

For the last request, I'll make the team all around solid. I focused too much on making the units showcase their main abilities instead of making a competitive team.

Try doing a team that was your favorite during the first four FFT Arena season tournaments

Shintroy

Quote from: Barren on September 20, 2015, 12:40:56 pm
Try doing a team that was your favorite during the first four FFT Arena season tournaments

Couldn't do that since I've only been around for 1.3 seasons 1-3 and late 138. I don't know the meta of anything else and it wouldn't be the type of team I could pull off. I did do a mime version of Lief's S3 team when I first got into mimes way back though. It was the first and second version of MyMe. It didn't stick since my mime couldn't keep the spell gun equipped and it was one of the first videos showing the death sentence bugged items. Not a bad request though, I'd like someone else to pull off a pre 139 team if someone else would take the request.

Barren

If you need any ideas use the ffhacktics tournament channel and check out the old AI tourneys for reference

Shintroy

Quote from: Barren on September 20, 2015, 02:22:30 pm
If you need any ideas use the ffhacktics tournament channel and check out the old AI tourneys for reference

Too much work. It could only be done by someone from that time imo. Definitely don't plan on going back and watching that many videos for a one use only team. It wouldn't be fun or worth it at that point.
-----------
The most I could do is maybe update an outdated team. Preferably one with set ups that aren't possible anymore like 2 hand katar, stalling immortal phoenix blade teams, or something like that.

Epic

Two Hands doesn't boost jump damage? I thought it did in vanilla...
Oh, well. Either way, it didn't work out so well. Seems like slow units need to be extremely tanky.

silentkaster

Quote from: Epic on September 20, 2015, 08:58:12 pm
Two Hands doesn't boost jump damage? I thought it did in vanilla...
Oh, well. Either way, it didn't work out so well. Seems like slow units need to be extremely tanky.

Well, not necessarily. In general, eight speed units (and even nine speed units in many cases) just need to do something big with their turns. CT5Holy mentioned it before but if you're going to have an eight speed unit, they should be doing big damage or other big moves since their turns come relatively infrequently. So Raise 2, Quake, Holy, Flare, Tornado, Odin, max PA southern crosses, stuff like that because the idea is that you do something big with your turn to make the enemy waste their turns undoing what you did.

In fact, a tanky eight speed unit may backfire. This unit will ideally absorb damage while the rest of your team tries to beat down, but the AI doesn't attack the tankiest units first in general. They attack the more powerful offensive units, in general, first since they're usually easier to kill. So evasion tanks may work if you give them low HP and you're facing a team with few non evadable attacks, but that could backfire too for obvious reasons. A tanky set up can work, but it is tricky and requires some thought for a good build.

You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Barren

September 23, 2015, 11:27:48 am #4368 Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:34:52 am by Barren
FFT Arena 1.39c - The Silentkaster Show

I also did notice that heroebal made changes but it was done after I made the video. I will make note of the changes today

silentkaster

September 23, 2015, 01:21:21 pm #4369 Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:52:39 pm by silentkaster
The idea behind Grand Cross with no Blind Protection was that they would cause Blind to some targets and then switch to using gun shots (since the AI is generally pretty good about realizing when they're blind and won't use melee so will then start using the unavoidable shots). Blind is kinda necessary since they will be reaching 100 Brave and will be one shot pretty effectively. In any case, this was one of the joke teams, but it's alright. I might change a few things, but not gonna play around with this one too much. I just want a match where all four units reach 100/100...maybe against a defensive team? Good job Epic!

The biggest problem with a Holy absorb team are Cursed Ring Users. So when I saw two of them, I immediately assumed I'd lose. But Heroebal's team is probably most vulnerable to an absorb team because the damage they cause isn't enough to kill (at least not enough in one or two shots generally), and therefore, an absorb team tends to just heal right back up right away. So, that being said, with half his team being immune to my attacks and my team being able to easily heal each other, I would call it fairly even. I got pretty lucky in Round 3 with the undeads raising with fairly low HP. GG Heroebal, very close.

The two cursed rings were liabilities. It's a good accessory, but the Raise 2 hitting every time coupled with the other two archers being unable to do much while the undeads were down hurt pretty badly. It works better on my thief team since the other two thieves are very tanky and fast. But on this team, it didn't work so well. Probably major changes coming to this team. Good job Barren!

The other joke team. I had seen The Damned make "Chivalry's a virus" which featured four units with Chivalry but don't remember if he had Crosses on each. The Time Magic Paladin not getting Blind Protection was mainly because I didn't want him using the sword but still had to put a Cross on him to keep the theme. Balance would have been a good idea, but I didn't want him to use a Cross (to heal himself) instead of Balance so that's why I left it off. At second glance, I might change him to be one of the Southern Crossers and give him Balance while giving the Grand Crosser a decent Grand Cross set up. The Monk on Holy Rollers worked well so perhaps something similar to that...anyway...good job Reks!

Sorry, forgot to thank Barren for the nice video. I know it took quite a bit of time so definitely appreciated!!
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Heroebal

Barren- I switch my teams around quite frequently so no biggy there. Thanks for putting the work in on the video's.

I really liked the gun + grand cross combo, cool idea. Glad to see Epic have a better showing this time around.

Damn that match was pretty close. I almost won that 2nd round but didn't finish them off in time and my mime got isolated and stuck down in the water put a damper on a comeback. Looks like I'm gonna have to add soft to the chemist I wasn't worried about it originally b/c the mime can cure petrify. This match showed that stone is way more dangerous to this team more so than da/dm, so I'll probably swap bandage for soft.

I think Barren's archer being equal or greater speed(plus raise 2) than Silenkasters is what helped out a lot to neutralize the cursed archers. The remaining units had to be really tanky or disable/heal very well to buy time for the undead to get back up. But against 4 archer's range that's a tough task to accomplish.

I think Rek's slight speed advantage with the thief helped here. Rek's seemed to keep silent's team on the defensive overall and eventually won out with some luck from rng.

Mudvayne

Meh.. the team is better now but still just lacks overall damage potential. Not sure why the mediator loves to poke so damn often instead of using mimic daravon. Also had pretty bad luck with the RNG but I digress. I think I need some more damage output from this team. Maybe add holy or something to the mediator and maybe switch up the equips on the chemist and give her a spellgun or something. Not sure, any input is appreciated! GG Andante.

Thanks for the matches WKW!

Reks

Too much damage for my team to handle, heh.  Cascade's a slow-burner, and is easy to kill if you're right-up-front strong.

Nonetheless, GG Epic
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Corosar

I.... i have no idea what it was but it was almost as though his team was specially designed to take that team out... not sure what to take from this matches result ... not sure how to improve the team based on what i saw... RNG of that death was horrible for me... obviously mime teams are that teams bane... hmmm good game herobal... it was a blowout

Time for a new season!

V 1.4.1 W/L: 3 / 7
V 1.4 W/L: 3 / 14.5
V 1.39 W/L: 13.25 / 22

Shintroy

Damage Reflect vs Undead/Raise 2
Definitely a bad match up since the longer the fight goes the more likely I'll be hit by Raise 2 by my undead units.

R1 - At a disadvantage here due to the paladin making this a 3v4 the entire match. A good example of speed advantage being at a disadvantage here.
R2 - No contest.

GG. I'll definitely have to change the chemist.

Thanks for the matches WKW

Barren

Dat double meatbone slash had me worried. How did I come back from that? I guess my team was healthy enough to withstand and it lasted long enough for higher odds of zombie/raise 2. GG shintroy. That was a good battle

Heroebal

The biebes team is rough against lower hp units especially if they don't have a quick to way to recover hp or have the right reaction abilities (auto potion, damage split, hp restore,etc) to undo the damage coming in from lores/wiz's. Through my own test runs Biebes gets beat against headhunters (they just out tank/heal the dmg then pick off the dancers/mime), sfsf (theives are quick enough to get in and disable plus their scholar can heal back with her lores), and sometimes ammd (due to hp restore on the dancer/monk).

CT5Holy

Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Andrew

Depending on the map, you could have gotten some deadly statuses off on my units with those Elemental squires of yours!  Not only that, but their damage alone was scary, especially without Iron Will running.  Frog procs could have been game-deciding, too.  I just got lucky in the end.  GG!

Your monk and mediator had me sweating buckets at certain points.... Sleep + no Protect = my paladins taking truck-loads of damage.  Your monk was also Hi-Potion bait... pretty annoying stuff... HP Restore for MVP?  If your mediator got a bit more lucky, I think you could have won our second match.  GG!
  • Modding version: PSX