• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:09:28 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Sprite colors

Started by Hyraldelita, March 23, 2015, 05:10:35 pm

Hyraldelita

i'm trying to make my own sprite from another game , into FFT version and it's not a big deal about the sprite but, it looks like i can't find a way make the color match, i mean if for example i extract a bmp of the squire class and modify that, it looks i can only use the squire palette.

SO how do i make a new one? couse when i try to change the option to Rgb and then i revert back to how it was, shishi give me a error and doesn't want to read that file animore.

Jumza

You can add in new colours by editing the Palette of the image. Each character can have up to a certain amount of palettes, and each sheet is split between colours for the sprite, and colours for the portrait. They each get their own corresponding row, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Get a program like GIMP or Graphics Gale and open up the palette and edit away. I suggest using colours from other FFT characters, that way they won't look strange in game.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Hyraldelita

thanks i figured out something like that and i'm using gimp, but i think im just noob with it. i will look for that option, even if i have no idea how is called in italian ... xD

3lric

You could also download Palette Editor from the FFH Wiki, it makes palette edits a breeze.

Jumza

Quote from: Elric on March 24, 2015, 03:58:34 pm
You could also download Palette Editor from the FFH Wiki, it makes palette edits a breeze.

I always forget to mention this tool, but it is really useful.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Hyraldelita

March 25, 2015, 10:12:57 am #5 Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:30:48 am by Hyraldelita
i will right away , thanks guys^^ and then i will post the result of my first job =D

but i still have to understand how to change the portrait colors, , i might be a bit tard

ok i just found out that i can't understand at all how that program work.. if i change palette color nothing change in the image..

3lric

You can change the portrait palette in Palette Editor as well

Hyraldelita

i tried but whatever i do , it doesnt change a thing ;_; it look simple when i opened the program but , maybe is not that much

3lric

It works exactly like it looks... You need to port your sprite here so we can see what the problem is...

Hyraldelita

ok i'll try

i hope it does work.

when i change it to shishi, the hair color become white, i can't find how to change this.

If i work on gimp to use the color i want i have to switch the image to rgb , but if i do, when i switch back as it was before , shishi doesn't read it animore.  I feel a bit stupid couse everyone seems to do it no problem XD

3lric

You haven't followed any of the rules about spriting. You REALLY need to read the tutorials here. Any of them would have easily told you what you were doing wrong. This sprite is so messed up, I can't even get it to open in Graphics Gale :/

You CANNOT have ANY repeating colors in any palette. Meaning those first 16 colors you have in that first line of the palette cannot all be 0,0,0.

I urge you to look at a vanilla spritesheet in Palette Editor. Then you can see how it's done. You do not have the portrait palette in the correct slot and you have no 1st palette for your sprite.

You need to open two of the Palette Editor program, then load a Vanilla sprite into one and your sprite into another and look at how their palette is setup compared to yours. That's about the only way I can think to show you what you are doing wrong. Unless you actually read one of the tutorials or watch Lijj's tutorial video.

The spritework you are doing looks nice. You just need to get the correct process nailed down. Please post if you have any other questions. (but make sure to read the tutorials first, so that you have some idea of how it should work. Also strongly suggest you try what I mentioned above and compare/contrast your sprite with a vanilla one.)

Don't get discouraged man, you're halfway there ;)

Hyraldelita

March 25, 2015, 02:41:15 pm #11 Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:46:35 pm by Hyraldelita
Hahhaha no no i'm not getting discouraged^^ it's just that i'm probably stupid xD i watched all the tutorial, really no kidding , but it doesn't look like i understand well how to do what people write >.<

but look maybe this is a little better i still didn't change way of doing things but i tried another way xD
i've still got a couple of things to fix, then i'll be able to finish and use it!
I'm trying everytime loading the game to see "IF" work well XD i think i'm taking the long long way to do things lol

and thanks a lot for the suggestion, and everything =)

Even the fact that i know someone is here to help, it's a lot of help my itself!

it should be easy to understand who is the sprite i'm doing if someone played Disgaea, i'm planning to do a FFtactics a bit more funny story talking. But still leaving something serious in it

Jumza

Since you're using GIMP and I know my way around it a little, I'll try and help you out directly.

First, open GIMP. Then open up the bmp of the sprite you want to edit. At no point should you be changing the colour setting. Never set it to RGB, CMYK, anything other than what it already is.

Second, go to the Windows tab and click "Dockable Dialogs", then click colourmap. It should open up a box with lots of coloured boxes in it.

Try and adjust your window on that box to match the picture below, then notice the pattern. The first row are the colours for the first palette of the sprite. Then a few lines down is the first row for the portrait colours for the first palette of the sprite. You can go down those lines to edit the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc... palettes for the sprite, just make sure to change the portrait colours as well.

EDIT: I seem to have misplaced an 'O' in that picture. Oh well. hopefully you understand anyway :P

Hyraldelita

i don't know if i have a older version of gimp or what, but i can open that page , the only problem is i can move the colors if i want but i cannot change them.. or i don't know how to do it

Jumza

That's strange. Have you tried double clicking on the little boxes? If it doesn't work, you may have to use a different program.

Hyraldelita

March 25, 2015, 07:52:05 pm #15 Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:18:01 pm by Hyraldelita
i tried nothing happen and if i right click all the other options , like "change color -.-" are grey and can't be clicked =/

humm ok i understood how to use palette editor, that should be enough, but i have to restart the sprite from scrap