• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:17:29 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[UTILITY] Win32 Sprite Animator (1.2.2.4)

Started by lirmont, July 03, 2011, 02:59:36 am

Lijj

Hey No problem if this isn't quite right Lirmont. I am always glad to try a new toy.
I look forward to checking it out. That looks pretty cool at least the rotating effect you've displayed. Thanks a lot-
I really like the sprite Utility you made. Should I make an icon/logo for it? If you want I will.
  • Modding version: PSX

Cheetah

That is a pretty freaking sweet bomb you have there.
Current Projects:

lirmont

I'd be happy to use a custom icon. The current one is a bit suggestive of Windows Movie Maker, which this program definitely is not.

I made that 3d model 5 years ago when I had delusions of being able to do something similar to FF. You can see it rendered into the Tethical style pose for character sprites in some of the screenshots.

lirmont

It's trying to make you feel uncomfortable. Mission accomplished? If you didn't notice the creepy finger wiggle, what has been seen cannot be unseen!

Pickle Girl Fanboy

How does this square with removing copyrighted material?  I mean, it's a bomb, obviously derived from the Final Fantasy creature, although SE doesn't own the right to the idea of sentient suicidal magical ordinance.  Maybe you could turn it into a floating Jack O'lantern that explodes?

lirmont

August 09, 2011, 12:03:31 pm #26 Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:12:26 pm by lirmont
Considering I didn't use any of their designs or work (go look for something that looks like mine, you'll be surprised how different theirs are) and the fact that it's not a main character that represents a particular game or franchise, I doubt there's a copyright claim. In my opinion, what really gets people C&D's doing these types of things are trademarks (and not copyright infringement). Namely, if you're using a trademark ("Final Fantasy Tactics"; "AT&T") or any derivative that could confuse a consumer about the origin of the website or product ("Final Fantasy Hacktics"; "AT&T SUCKS"), then you're (unfortunately) commiting trademark infringment. If you read about the 3D Chrono Trigger fan project, the C&D cited Akira Toriyama's claim to trademarks on the main characters' designs (namely, "Crono") and the use of the "Chrono Trigger" logo (the timepiece). That character and that logo are both indicative of the franchise of "Chrono Trigger". Some random fan-made ball of fire, I think, is not indicative of any game or franchise of Square-Enix's. However, a chocobo probably would have a much stronger claim, considering there are games based around them (PS1) and they have a pretty distinctive design.

The C&D I mentioned: http://www.chillingeffects.org/derivative/notice.cgi?NoticeID=1416

Lijj

August 09, 2011, 06:43:45 pm #27 Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:45:26 pm by Lijj
Hmm Perhaps an exploding Jack o' lantern would be cool.. I think that'd be a piece of cake to make compared to fully animated sprites.. I'll end up making one most-likely hehe.

About that program Icon; I made one for the desktop icon in png-24 at 128x128 and in ico format as well.
Also made a 32x32 favico for the title bar in both formats.
Ico. Files:
____
PNG24 Files:

lirmont

BAM!

But also, the image rotates like woah.

Lijj

August 10, 2011, 04:11:05 am #29 Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:22:44 am by Lijj
Oh that is so cool! Thank you Lirmont.. I've been wanting to do an icon for a program for awhile. I'll be using it a lot too.
I like how you updated the menu icons as well; this is a great program.

lirmont

It can probably be run in Wine if you have all the .NET frameworks installed. The software itself is .NET 4, but the OpenGL tie-in library is .NET 2 (specifically, 2.0.50727).There's no cutting edge technology used in this program.

I have one more feature planned (composite frames) before I attempt anything else (like a linux build). Sorry!

lirmont

August 13, 2011, 09:06:26 pm #33 Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:44:09 am by lirmont
Demo of the start of the feature I was talking about:

The input is just your normal, everyday, Type-1 FFT sprite sheet, and it spits out the combined forms.

And this is what the formatting document looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<format target-rows="5" target-columns="8" base-width="256" base-height="488" frame-width="32" frame-height="39">
 <frames>
   <frame id="999" s="231" t="153" w="1" h="1" />
   <frame id="1" s="1" t="1" w="31" h="39" />
   <frame id="2" s="33" t="1" w="31" h="39" />
   <frame id="65" s="201" t="129" w="23" h="23" />
   <frame id="66" s="225" t="129" w="23" h="23" />
 </frames>
 <composite-frames>
   <composite-frame id="1">
     <frame id="1" offset-x="0" offset-y="0" flip-x="false"/>
   </composite-frame>
   <composite-frame id="9">
     <frame id="40" offset-x="7" offset-y="10" flip-x="false"/>
     <frame id="6" offset-x="0" offset-y="0" flip-x="false"/>
     <frame id="41" offset-x="7" offset-y="12" flip-x="false"/>
   </composite-frame>
 </composite-frames>
</format>

And the reference I needed to make (numbers correspond to the "frames" section of the document):

But I'm not updating the download yet because I'm not done with the format document and I had to break a lot of things to get it to this point. However, in the future, you can expect this tool to handle type-1 sprites.

Kagebunji

You will require Net Framework v4.0 for this to work, in case someone is interested in downloading. I dl'd it yesterday, but need to update my framework, heh.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

lirmont

Quick update. I've got 135 of 363 frames documented. I don't have the composite frames aligned with themselves yet, but the individual frames I've done are aligned correctly (based on ShiShi's tool). Unfortunately, since there are so many frames, it's kind of bulky.

Anyway: Red Ranger, Generic Cavalier Male

Lijj

Wow Lirmont, that is a lot of frames to process.
This is impressive stuff!

lirmont

August 17, 2011, 04:38:40 am #37 Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:50:08 am by lirmont
And now it's time for the release of this update. The download has been updated, so get it from the first post in the thread.

A quick overview of things added in this update:

• Support for composite frames

• Type1 sprite format document (still a work in progress; name your file like so before loading: my-sprite.fft-type1.bmp or my-sprite.fft-type1.png)

• Threaded loading of files (so you can see progress if you have a format that takes a long time to load)

• Automatic reloading of composite frames on format document change

And a quick review of the features available to newcomers:

• Support for loading .bmp/.png files

• Automatic file reloading (you save your changes from a different program, the program loads them up without you doing anything; also applies to format document changes)

• Export frames as a .GIF animation (a couple clicks and you have something to show off; supports 50-1000%; bases dispose time on target animation milliseconds option in the program)

• Frame number overlay support

• Ghosting overlay of previous frame, next frame, or both previous and next frames (see how surrounding frames stack up against current frame)

• Transparency support, including an image background to help with sizing (bitmap files use the first available pixel's color as the color to use for transparency)

• Magnified view (not terribly functional right now, but allows you to see things larger if your frames are smaller than the magnified view area)

• Constructed palette view (shows all non-transparent, non-partially transparent colors used in the image; does not mean your image actually has a palette)

• Image scaling based on application size/resizing (does not affect export as animation)

• LEFT, RIGHT, UP, DOWN navigation of frames (you have to click the loaded picture area first, though)

Examples of type-1 sprite sheets: Red Ranger, Generic Cavalier Male

Examples of animations made using the software:

Some issues I've encountered:

• If you mess up the XML formatting document, the program will close (in other words, I haven't fool-proofed it yet).

• You might get unlucky and coincidentally try to access a file at the same time the program does, causing the program to close (same as above).

Thanks for your interest in this project!

Cheetah

Wow Lirmont this is really excellent. This will save me tons of time when doing quick animated previews, and probably will help with spriting in general to get the animations looking top notch. I will try to test this out soon and tell you what I think.
Current Projects:

Lijj

I just tried the gif previewing feature and it's perfect!  choose the size; 1,2, or 300% and click. :0 ou la! instant gif.
I don't know if this would be difficult to do but if you could make a walking frames previewer  that would be awesome. It would have to move through the first five then back four and repeat. (9 to 13; 12 to 10; repeat). Also, to make that work you'd have to move the frames 10 and 12 down 1 pixel each and frames 9 and 13 down 2 pixels each. to make it bounce right. Just a suggestion so people can make walking gifs in just a couple clicks too.