• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:05:50 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Best Glitch Ever

Started by Celdia, November 14, 2011, 07:46:49 am

Celdia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OYOg3Dftiy0#t=893s

I'd use the YT tag for this but then it wouldn't start the video at the right time.

The double-arrow graphical glitch is amazing fun at the edge of the map. Welcome to Limbo!
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

3lric

That is hilarious, how did that happen?

formerdeathcorps

There was a bugged version of 1.3 that had this too.  CCP has X% knockback on some skills and somehow, that ASM ignores some of the checks FFT puts on map boundaries.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Celdia

Actually I'm not using any special knockback hacks anymore. Its something that happens when using a Weapon Strike/Ranged Weapon skill with a Bow/Crossbow/Gun and it does the double-arrow animation. On a crit where a knockback triggers, it seems to process the knockback as part of the animation with the arrow flying across the screen. Well the glitch of the arrow flying across the screen twice makes it do the knockback twice, but while it changes the target's X/Y coordinates, it doesn't check the borders of the destination panel when the second knockback gets processed (but it looks like it does take direction into consideration it seems as can be seen in some other videos of Dino playing CCP as well as I think Eternal and Scearcely's first AI Battle video where a unit gets hit like this but first moves on the X axis but the second knockback moves them on the Y axis, effectively knocking them back diagonally which is nearly as hilarious.)

Of course this is just speculation from what I've seen out of the patch so far. I can't confirm this is how the game is processing the data. If someone really wants to know I suppose they could give it a thorough testing but since I see it more as an amusement caused an imperfection, I'll leave this feature as it is.

I do have a theory that the second knockback could cause units to get stuck in other normally impassable terrain such as trees or walls, possibly even pushing a unit UP onto a wall that could be otherwise bypassed with Fly or Ignore Height.

3lric

Quote from: Celdia on November 14, 2011, 05:24:30 pm
possibly even pushing a unit UP onto a wall that could be otherwise bypassed with Fly or Ignore Height.

now that would actually be pretty useful in some situations

S_Hawkeye

November 15, 2011, 07:41:50 am #5 Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 07:43:28 am by S_Hawkeye
Quote from: Celdia on November 14, 2011, 05:24:30 pm
I do have a theory that the second knockback could cause units to get stuck in other normally impassable terrain such as trees or walls, possibly even pushing a unit UP onto a wall that could be otherwise bypassed with Fly or Ignore Height.

At least in FF+ that is true, it happened to me, a frog did it (notice the black mage/lancer unit), btw my lancer was unable to move, but my black mage could move perfectly.

Celdia

Interesting, Hawk. I didn't even think about it knocking a unit into another unit.

Neophyte Ronin

Happened to me as well in FFT+; the "Tentacle" attack has a weird glitch that procs its effect twice, but the damage is counted once (not that it matters).  Anyway, if you are knocked back, you are knocked back again, only this time you run the risk of moving to a compatible panel for Knock-Back (namely: any equal or lesser-than Height variance).  Since this modified second Knock-Back does not check to see if there are natural boundaries that would negate the initial Knock-Back, which includes characters, then the unit can get stuck on a panel, and worse, the other character can get stuck as well.  It's a serious bug that isn't so funny if the character must stay mobile or capable of delivering the offensive push in the party if so specialized.  Only recourse is to double-check every ability to make sure an attack formula does not involve Knock-Backs if there is a glitch as pervasive as that.