• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:25:56 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Text mod to take out cussing for younger kids. (FFT for future generations!)

Started by Alxander, January 27, 2019, 07:23:30 pm

Alxander

I am wanting to slightly change the text to exclude the foul language for my younger kids.  I have been reading through the older forums and am having a hard time figuring out what needs to be done exactly.  Also, I am hoping there is something that will allow me to do this easier than FFTacText. 

I humbly await your guidance.

Xifanie

...Where's the foul language? There is no swearing in this game. I'm confused.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Alxander

There are a few small cases of cussing...  mostly damn and bastard... but still not something I would like my 6 year old to read and be repeating. 

Nyzer

Uh.

You are familiar with the plot of the game, yes? I mean, Chapter 1 has one of the main characters watch his sister get shot and killed in a hostage situation. By the "good guys".

Then there's all the familicide (and there is quite a lot of that), the one female party member who (indirectly) reveals her adoptive father figure raped her in the past, the people getting possessed by and/or transforming into demons before slaughtering entire garrisons, and of course the scene the game ends on.

If you want to get your kids into a Final Fantasy Tactics game, I'd really recommend getting a modded version (because the Law system is garbage) of one of the Advance games if they aren't at an age where they can read a word like "damn". FFT is definitely not a particularly young-kid-friendly game.

If your only objection is a few T-rated cuss words (???) you'd have to go do some event editing, not TacText work.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Xifanie

IMO, if a 6yo is smart enough to make it past Dorter, they'll be smart enough to not be affected by those inoffensive words.

You know you can't protect your kid forever from this right? Overprotected kids grow up to fail miserably in society. Watch out.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Angel

Not to totally derail, but when I was 6 years old, I knew what swears were and that I wasn't allowed to use them. That's much better than pretending they don't exist, as it teaches responsibility and respect.

But yeah, this isn't a game for a young child no matter what your stance on language is.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Xifanie

To add to what my wife said, I'd be more concerned about a 6yo seeing Goltana stabbed in the guts with blood gushing everywhere... or Hashmalum literally committing suicide by ripping his insides open.

Alxander

Haha, well my kid can read well at the age of six and does enjoy Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced and that is part of he curiosity towards this game.  Some of my kids who are older also play FFT and he sometimes walks in and reads along because he liked the first one.  I don't agree that just because he can read well for his age he should just be exposed to anything  (I wouldn't take my kid to a strip bar just because they puberty).  I know it has more a mature plot line and wasn't designed for young kids but I am asking if there is an easy was to mod the story text because I am not always there to filter for my little kids of what the older kids are doing and I don't really want limit a game I enjoy along with them because of this... so my thought was to mod a version so I wouldn't have to worry as much about it. 

(I knew my title would get some attention!)

Xifanie

Y'know, I had parents that raised me like shit. I was never able to develop a meaningful connection with them because of it. Please spend time with your kids instead of wasting your time on the most fucking mundane thing in your kid's life...

10 years to fix my parents' indifference.

Nyzer

QuoteI don't agree that just because he can read well for his age he should just be exposed to anything  (I wouldn't take my kid to a strip bar just because they puberty)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

But that's also completely missing the point. Not only is it pointless to try to shield your kid from T-rated swears - it's probably all stuff they've heard in real life and more or less know not to repeat by now anyway - but the actual plot of FFT is considerably worse to expose a kid to than a couple bad words.

Is it really worth bothering to try to protect him from seeing "damn" when he could just walk in to watch a priest get tortured for information while surrounded by corpses, before being murdered when his torturers are done with him? Is... is that better?

Alxander

Xifanie- I am sorry your parents raised you like shit.  I wish you would not assume that I am doing the same.  I do spend time with my kids... hence why my 6 year old can read so well.  Books, board/table top games, archery, hiking, and video games are many ways we hang out. My older kids enjoy FFT and they like talking about it with me.  I just don't mind filtering it some (the main question I asked btw) to have it not be an issue for the little peeps to casually view.

Nyzer- I appreciate your concern but again I wish you would not try and assume too much.
   1.)  I did say I wanted to edit the cuss words but never said that was the only thing I was going to edit.  I can see why you might come to that conclusion but it is not the case.  There are other things I am looking into in the event modding but it seems like it might take a little while so in the mean time I thought a quick text mod would work till I get the other done and that is why I asked.
   2.)  He can read and does it well for his age but not to the point he can understand the whole story or scene.  More like he walks in and sees a word on the screen and then may or may not dwell on it.  Yes, he has heard those words but not often and I don't see the need to expose him to it to the point of normalcy (difference between hearing/knowing and having it on a constant basis). 
   3.)  The story is sad, hard, and gruesome but in some ways it is similar to most Disney movies (sure there no blood in Disney but the equivalences and lasting effects are similar...Lion King, Mulan, Treasure Planet,  etc... ).

Am I giving my 6 year old a controller and saying "play some FFT"... no, I am not.  I am just trying to filter something for my family dynamic and environment which is my own prerogative.
Does everyone write everything they are thinking of doing on a mod when they ask a question?  I don't think so.  Could I have started the question out differently... sure... but where is the fun in that? ;)

Oh, about your link to false equivalencies...
[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma[/url]
[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulty_generalization"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulty_generalization[/url]

I see the merit in some of what has been pointed out but some of it is a stretch.  Death scenes are common in many games.  Story lines are messed up on even older classic games and by some of your examples I could over analyze things to the point of not letting them play anything.  So I feel like it is a bit ironic you are saying "expose your child to cussing" but also "don't expose your child to a 32 bit color scene where people die or a story that is gruesome and he doesn't even understand".

Xifanie

Congrats, you just assumed that I assumed how you spend time with your kids. I was only stating that I think the time modding the game was time way better spent with your kids. If you draw other conclusions from that, that's your own assumption, not mine. While I was writing that post, I was wondering how you treated your kids otherwise, but I don't jump to conclusions like that, so I'd appreciate if you didn't accuse me of making baseless assumptions, thank you very much.

FFT is a very, very dark game, especially for its time. Lots of blood, betrayal, murder, manipulation, suicide... Let's just hope your kid doesn't get terrorized by Izlude getting ferociously and brutally murdered by his own father and seeing him puke blood until he dies then asking questions about it. I know I got terrorized at 5-6yo watching a pretty brutal horror movie (no idea what the name was, it involves tentacles draining the insides from people) with my parents and siblings and it took me a good 3-4 days to recover. That's something I wish I hadn't gone through.

You already had your answer though, Tactext and Event Editing. It's going to take a long time to go through all of that text. But, if that's what really matters to you, you do you, I guess.

Alxander

Got me on the assumptions. :lol:  That scene is no worse than Clayton getting hanged in Disney Tarzan.  Just saying...
Well darn.... I was afraid of that.  I just thought I would ask and hope.... but was all for naught. 
Thanks again!

(PS. Not sure how old you are but would the movie be The Blob, The Strangeness, Boogens, or Without Warning?  I used to hate some of the scenes of The Blob but watched it again in high school and I could stop laughing.) 

Xifanie

It doesn't seem to be any of those. The scene that I remember the most (i.e. traumatized me the most, it's my 2nd earliest memory in life):
A woman is in the bathtub, the tentacle creature crawls in the airways, makes it to the bathroom, reaches for her and consumes all the blood/organs/bones only leaving the skin behind.

I tried to find its title in the past to no avail. Plus it was French dubbed so there's no way I'd know/remember the English title.

Alxander

Ahh, French dubbed... Nope, no luck with that.  My scene was the blob coming out the sink drain and pulling the guy into the pipe.  Good times!

Xifanie

Dubbed meaning not the original English audio, but rather in this case, French with shitty voice acting.

Ansehelm

Hehehe...this topic makes me strangely amused.

My two cents: so I can somewhat sympathize with the OP, as I was raised in a somewhat conservative religious family, and still practice most of the values that come with it. Although frankly, I've come to not mind mind most swear words, especially words like "damn" and "bastard" that have a sort of rustic Old-English type charm to them, and I think are most at home in FFT-like scenarios that are based on gritty medieval wars.  On the other hand, I respect people wanting to exercise a little judgment in how they use their language, and understand the need to be seen as not personally promoting something (such as swearing), even if that thing is prevalent in society.  So I would classify this sort of thing as small change - nice to do if it's easy, but not a huge deal if you don't do it. 

Regarding the graphical and storyline violence in this thread, my perspective is that FFT is a much darker game on paper than the actual game makes apparent due to the how much the cartoonish medium undermines the shock of that violence. Frankly, and oddly, the descriptions people are writing about FFT violence in this thread give me a much more graphic mental picture than the actual game graphics.   Maybe it's the fact that all the characters look like cute chibi-teenagers, or the protagonist's own childlike nature, but I just can't perceive the events as very traumatic.  So despite the "heavier" themes, I don't really see FFT as being "not for children" (within reason). There are a lot of classic fairy tales that have very dark themes, but are portrayed in such a way as to not be "too disturbing for children."
So really, the portrayal is huge - Game of Thrones, for example, while having many of the "dark themes" similar to FFT, portrays them in a much more graphic, believable, and grounded way than FFT, such that I would say GoT may not be for children.  But I digress, and you are free to feel otherwise.

Anyway, to the original point, I actually don't know if there are any swears in Tactext (which is stupid easy to use, BTW, don't look for anything to get easier than that).  Most of them would be in events, as has been mentioned.  The good news is that you don't really have to learn the intricacies of "how to event" - basically, all you have to do is familiarize yourself with the tools, then find the encounters/text in question and change them.  Once you know what you're doing, and if you remember where most of them are, I'm guessing you could knock this project out in half an hour.

Alxander

Glad we could amuse you...*bows*   :lol:

I have used FFTacText for Job editing before but for whatever reason I can not find the file for the event dialog.  I do not see and event file in any of the options listed after I load the ISO and look under Text.  I have been through each file and searched but couldn't find the section.

Nyzer

I left two links in my first message for you.

Quote from: Nyzer on January 27, 2019, 10:04:58 pmyou'd have to go do some event editing, not TacText work.

The Text Helper can also be useful for seeing how well formatted the event script will be once it's put in game.

Alxander

Okay, will dive into that.  Oh Nyzer, thanks for the FFTA mod suggestion.  Should be a more enjoyable play with out Law.