• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:06 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

'Newbie' Question

Started by Lydyn, March 19, 2008, 12:04:05 am

Lydyn

March 19, 2008, 12:04:05 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
So, I'm completely new at this and just downloaded it a few days ago with the thought of reworking the Mime class (original FFT) into perhaps a Dark or Mystic Knight... or something, since I can't afford the remake right now.

Anyways, I didn't see any sort of manual or readme at all. Most of it seems... sort of user friendly, though there's quite a bit I don't understand, like some of the "unknown" check boxes and how to rename skill sets, classes, etc. The spirte, I'm not going to mess with .. but the rest, yeah.

I hate to be so generic, but could someone help? Thanks.

karsten

March 19, 2008, 03:08:48 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
the mime class so far is the only one that can't be reworked.... it'll keep acting as a mime  :?

Lydyn

March 19, 2008, 05:11:34 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Really? Even if you give it a different skill set? Meh ... well, maybe the Samurai or Ninja then ... or bard/dancer? Any of those combination classes would probably do just fine, especially if I add more requirements, hm?

VincentCraven

March 19, 2008, 05:19:01 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Funny how the examples you gave are the ones not supported by FFTPatcher. The unknown check boxes are just that: we haven't figured out what they mean. All of us are waiting for melonhead to release a version with text changing support. Unfortunately, our current method is slow, complicated, and requires a bit of hacking skill.

Alternatively, you could just ignore the names of your class/skills. The problem with Mime is that it cannot equip anything or set any abilities. All other classes should work fine when replaced.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

xanien

March 19, 2008, 05:58:40 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by xanien
so I've noticed as well, the mime class is innately programmed to act immediately in response to the actions of another character on the screen.

Yes, I'm repeating what everyone else is saying to sound smart, I really have no idea.

Actually, that's not true...replacing the mime class' skill set will have essentially no effect because from my experience that mime class does not have a skill set...it just mimics...thus one would have to deprogram the mimic function on the class and go from there.

Lydyn

March 20, 2008, 01:45:00 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Okay, so basically wait for the text editing things and basically try my best to rework one of the other classes than mimes. Thanks, I'll see what I can do. :)

P.S. - How do you apply these 'patches'? I'm using the ePSXe emulator, do I just stuff it into the patches folder?

Lydyn

March 20, 2008, 03:12:59 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
So, I reworked the Bard to be sort of a 'Heavenly Knight' and the Dancer as a alternative (more powerful than the original) Dark Knight, making you need quite the bit of class levels and stuff ... so now, I'm wondering how to apply the patch. :P

Austin

March 20, 2008, 03:49:20 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Applying a patch-
First get cd mage beta-  http://ftp.uevora.pt/pub/Mirrors/CDmage ... 02-1B5.rar

Use it to open your image file and extract the slus and battle.bin files(i forget what, but depending on what you edited you might not need to patch battle.bin but it won't hurt anything if you do) then open up the fft patcher and go up top and find the patch slus and patch battle options. Patch the appropiate files.

Before continuing I strongly suggest making a copy of your original image file just in case something gets messed up. Anyways open cd mage again, open the image file go to the slus file, right click and select import and find the file you patched then select it, do the same for the battle.bin if you need to. And voila it should be done.

Also if you messed with the entd part of the patcher go into it and find the generate entd files option up top. Select it and you should have 4 files pop up, go into cdmage and import the files onto the files of the same name (in the battle folder I think). And if you only edit the story battles you only have to import the 4th entd file. I think that covers it...

BTW to Zodiac, should we make some kind of tutorial somewhere on the forum so new people will have an easier time with this?
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

March 20, 2008, 04:50:43 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Sure, the future site will have a tutorial section anyway.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Lydyn

March 20, 2008, 11:28:31 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
All right, I just started to try it and already ran into a problem ... the CD Mage can't open up my saved patch (unknown image type). So.. I'm assuming there's something to do with this image file? I must seem really new to this, heh.

xanien

March 21, 2008, 12:25:38 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by xanien
two things:  make sure that the ISO that you ripped isn't in raw data.  If it is, then it isn't playable, thus not accessable by CD Mage (because its data files, not the specific ISO type).

secondly, make sure that the ISO isn't mounted on something such as Daemon Tools...if it is, CDMage won't be able to access it.  I don't know what you know about ISO's, but it took me 6 hours to figure that out once...so seriously, don't worry about it.  

I started working on this stuff about 3 weeks ago, and I didn't know anything then, so I guess I'm saying I really understand how you feel.  Give that a shot, and if it doesn't make sense, just post back

Xanien.

Lydyn

March 21, 2008, 12:27:42 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Oh, right ... so you guys are using ISOs to patch, rather than applying it to the CD.. somehow through the emulator. Well, I guess here goes my long painful search for an ISO.

Edit: Or a non-long painful search. :P

xanien

March 21, 2008, 12:29:19 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by xanien
Just search "Isobuster" in google...download the free trial.  If you have the CD, you can rip it from there instead of searching for one.

You can't edit directly to the CD...it's locked out.

Lydyn

March 22, 2008, 01:19:50 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Yay! I did it! Though about everything else is messed up ... but that's probably the image's fault, heh. Or something. Mostly just a bunch of text issues ... like no one having a name in battle, the quote all being empty.. :P

xanien

March 22, 2008, 01:53:57 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by xanien
keep workin it...with my experience the people here will help you as much as they can, but you also need to work on it in order to gain the help and ask educated questions...a lot of people won't spoon feed you ;-)

Latro

Lydyn

March 22, 2008, 03:56:31 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
All the missing stuff doesn't really bother me to be honest. It's mostly I just have to wait until I move ... my cousins have better computers and can probably run the emulator at a decent speed. I suppose if I really felt like it, I'd figure a way to copy FFT and put the patch on it and run it through the PS2 or something.

xanien

March 22, 2008, 05:15:13 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by xanien
if you can figure out how to run a patched ISO on a burnt disc via PS2, let me know.

I'd probably bow down :-p

Lydyn

April 03, 2008, 07:37:14 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
*Ahem!* So, I got it all working seemingly perfect, right? The required classes work fine, the abilities work fine, they even seem to cost the same amount of JP they should ... only problem being is that the ability list in battle is completely different!

Example: I turned the Dancer into a Dark Knight with Dark Sword, Night Sword, Poison, Frog, Death, Slow, Preach, Shock, and Hellcry Punch. I had her learn Blind and Shock (since she only had 170 JP and Shock was 0000 JP) ... but in battle, she suddenly knows Dark Sword, Night Sword, Poison, AND Frog.

Help?  :?

Edit: My 'Dark Knight' also seems to be... immune to regen or cure spells. I put innate status of Wall, immunity to Blood Suck, Slow, and Death Sentence, and she's weak vs. Holy and absorbs Dark. Cure spells aren't holy elemental though ... and it's just says it has a 00% of success, no animation even occurs on her.

Edit-Edit: She's also immune to being attacked - period. O.o Um, the closest to anything I did with the Dancer class was put innate ability of Maintenance.

Lydyn

April 03, 2008, 09:11:19 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Here's some screenshots!

LastingDawn

April 03, 2008, 09:17:39 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm... this is just a hunch. but it might somehow be related to Wall, also, what level do you recieve this Dark Knight at?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!