• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:42:29 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Add a new action list as a support ability?

Started by Darkholme, November 26, 2014, 03:08:25 pm

Darkholme

So, I was chipping away at this (see attached file) a while back trying to make the more boring skillsets into equippable support abilities, such that I might give them more interesting base skillsets.

I don't recall what I started with, but I know I didn't come up with it from scratch looking for offsets or anything like that.

Jump works great as a support ability by the way.

I have not had luck with doing the same for Item, Throw, and Charge, however.

Has anyone else toyed with this idea? Is it a quick fix to make the proper menus pop up and to have them show up in your actions menu in combat?

Choto

You can do this for 1 or 2 skillsets, but if you have too many other parts of VRAM will show up instead of the skillset name. I think there's also a hard cap of like 5 based on the infrastructure of the code.

As to why throw and charge aren't working, are you trying these one at a time? If you duplicate the same hack it won't cause additional skillsets to show up.

Darkholme

I made sure they're going into different places (3 separate "Blank") abilities at the bottom with the other support abilities, plus maintenance.

They all show up in the class lists, they just don't show up in ENTDs.

Choto

If you look at all of the offset attributes in the xml, you'll see they all write to the same locations in Battle.Bin. So effectively, your patching one hack. Then overwriting it  with the next hack, then overwriting it again, etc.

It would be simple to concatenate all the hacks successively. So in the routine it does something like "check if unit has X status, if so add skillset." If you put each of those sections into one routine in series and patch that it will add all the skillsets. It's really a pretty simple ASM endeavor and would be a good exercise.

Darkholme

Oh. I see what you mean. I hadn't realized that it was doing that.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.