• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:06:17 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Suggestions after playing Aftermath Demo

Started by Archael, August 09, 2009, 01:34:50 pm

Archael

August 09, 2009, 01:34:50 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
1) Ensure all Esperblade spells have a Sword Strike animation when cast (I remember Midgar Swarm still doesn't have it). This goes a long way in keeping the skillset uniform and true to the theme of the job.

2) Rebalance all EsperBlade skills for lower effectiveness but instant cast. Their original purpose was to be a mage-warrior, like a sword skillser, but using high MP costs and magical damage.

3) Fix the Elemental text displays on some skills and weapons. The Esperblades, for example, have "Fire Elemental", "Earth Elemental" listed on them, but the text is screwy. It looks white and glitchy.

4) Higher risk / reward for the basic Gambler skills.

5) Clear description of what the Hymns do, and more smart targeting.

6) Reduction in redundancy of skills. Some skills within some skillsets (Abraxas, Dark Wave, Shadow Gauntlet) are all damage skills with different targeting, but problems arise when the ease-of-use of one overpowers the rest completely.

7) Put back the major Arbalist skills to what they are supposed to do  :evil:

otherwise, everything is amazing , just needs polish

LastingDawn

August 09, 2009, 07:09:19 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "Voldemort"1) Ensure all Esperblade spells have a Sword Strike animation when cast (I remember Midgar Swarm still doesn't have it). This goes a long way in keeping the skillset uniform and true to the theme of the job.

2) Rebalance all EsperBlade skills for lower effectiveness but instant cast. Their original purpose was to be a mage-warrior, like a sword skillser, but using high MP costs and magical damage.

3) Fix the Elemental text displays on some skills and weapons. The Esperblades, for example, have "Fire Elemental", "Earth Elemental" listed on them, but the text is screwy. It looks white and glitchy.

4) Higher risk / reward for the basic Gambler skills.

5) Clear description of what the Hymns do, and more smart targeting.

6) Reduction in redundancy of skills. Some skills within some skillsets (Abraxas, Dark Wave, Shadow Gauntlet) are all damage skills with different targeting, but problems arise when the ease-of-use of one overpowers the rest completely.

7) Put back the major Arbalist skills to what they are supposed to do  :evil:

otherwise, everything is amazing , just needs polish

1) I should have replaced Carbuncle with Midgar Swarm (so I could show the Serpent's Spite attack name rather then Midgar Swarm) but it passed through my mind, just one more thing to put on the list.

2) Issue spoken of in the main thread of the EsperBlade.

3) I chose that text, it's the only thing that looks even remotely usable, and I wanted the Element of the weapons to stand out, in a unique way, that... was basically my "solution".

4)I would definitely need some input for that.

5)The ability descriptions were pushed back for the ability to get something done, unless I wanted to spend another month on nothing but descriptions once more.

6)The whole deal with that, is that it's the Dark part of the Knight's skillset. Abraxas and Somber Drive are those two moves, but maybe giving them to Gafgarion wasn't the best thought... his skillset might be a step too far on the damage path, I should take that to note.

7) Put back? You mean they aren't in the file I sent you, and aren't working properly?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Archael

August 09, 2009, 07:12:51 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
6) You can do some very creative things with Gafgarion's skillset... Night Sword is enough for single target ranged damage if you ask me, and perhaps 1 blood ritual type move where he loses HP like you already have with Dark Gauntlet, hm? what do you think

7) the Arbalist skills are in the file you sent me, and are working - but their names and art and stats are different from the original!

LastingDawn

August 09, 2009, 07:17:42 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
6)It is definitely a fun thought, I'll need to ask the community for thoughts on Gafgarion's abilities down the line.

7)Is that so? I might have just forgot the animations chosen, the names and skills themselves are different though? I should probably take a closer look to see where I had trouble with that.

Art of War

Archael

August 09, 2009, 07:19:58 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
7) yeah

I can link the videos I did on the Arbalists skills so you can make sure they match the original content

of course you are free to alter it, but I thought the originals worked perfect

LastingDawn

August 09, 2009, 07:20:52 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well they d0, that was the reason they were so widely publicized as far as the project goes, heh.

Art of War

Archael

August 09, 2009, 07:24:35 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
1) Poised Shot (Charge Time, Grants 100% accuracy to the normal attack): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTbQaPMX ... 48&index=3

2) Explosive Shot (Charge Time, Grants Bonus Damage and Fire Element to the attack): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iogEl9qz ... 48&index=4

3) Disruptive Shot (Instant, Adds Charge Time Interrupt to the attack): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTGh-02K ... 48&index=5

4) Riskbreaker (Instant, very high MP cost, adds a 50% chance to execute an extra attack. Recurring 50% proc): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkbYsnHj ... 48&index=7

these were the 4 I came up with, the rest were all yours

they are all rather simple to implement in the patcher, just mind the Ranged Weapon flag

LastingDawn

August 09, 2009, 07:59:17 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
1) Poised Shot (it looks right from from my side, let's see what art we originally had chosen... Ah, I believe that's the Stab Up, effect, if I'm not mistaken?)

2) Explosive Shot (I had it set to PA + Y / 2 * PA, for whatever reason, it's set back to PA * WP + Y. Hmm, I'm honestly not sure what effect that is?)

3) Disruptive Shot (Hah, another one I have to ask which effect you chose, that one was Perfect!)

4) Riskbreaker (Hmm... I guess it really doesn't need any effect to it, alright, that should fix the Arbalist moves.)

Art of War

Archael

August 09, 2009, 08:17:05 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
1) Poised Shot is Stab Up

2) Explosive Shot is the Worker 8's Explosion thing... Compress, was it? I forget

3) Disruptive Shot is also one of Worker 8's... I think it's Crush, just try all 4 and you'll see it

4) Riskbreaker is Chocobo's Attack effect

MiKeMiTchi

August 09, 2009, 10:58:10 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
8.) Implement the new title screen, perhaps?

9.) Implement and test the Male Reliquian sprite. :)
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

LastingDawn

August 09, 2009, 11:16:18 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Oh don't worry. The version I sent him was days before you even arrived on the scene, hehe. The Reliquian Sprite is in the game currently, he's only lacking a proper portrait... which we now have a lot of. (even in the Aftermath Demo) Though next for the Reliquian sprite is having his sprite match his new palettes, that should be enjoyable to see!

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

August 09, 2009, 11:23:57 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
That's so good to hear.

I agree w/ the EsperBlade.
Also, I noticed that the class for it is "Esper Blade"
with space. Text bug?

I like the videos by Sir Voldemort.
But is it overpowered?

Archael

August 09, 2009, 11:27:01 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
you can re-balance my idea very easily

you just gotta change the numbers around, perhaps even make them M-Evadeable

boomkick

August 10, 2009, 11:23:05 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
2) But the logic is, if you can imagine, that the Esperblade must transfer "esper" energy into the blade, which can take time. Then they swing the blade when it is fully "charged." I hope that makes sense for charge times.

MiKeMiTchi

August 10, 2009, 11:34:52 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Is it possible to make the esper spells not area type?
Sorry if you can't get what I mean.

LastingDawn

August 10, 2009, 12:04:42 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well in essense the EsperBlade was never meant to have a Charge Time, that was just a mistake when the data was reset, as a Sword Swing doesn't take much time, the large MP costs and power should make up for it.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

August 11, 2009, 02:07:38 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
10.) slightly change Rad's hair?
For me, he looks like he is just a generic Squire-Knight.

LastingDawn

August 11, 2009, 12:56:21 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Haha, well he's supposed to be. He's not meant to look anything special, his look is decidedly 100% unremarkable.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

August 26, 2009, 04:47:45 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Okay, the next demo should show the Male Reliquian and the Male Gambler. :)

Quote6) Reduction in redundancy of skills. Some skills within some skillsets (Abraxas, Dark Wave, Shadow Gauntlet) are all damage skills with different targeting, but problems arise when the ease-of-use of one overpowers the rest completely.

Agreed, in the fixed downloadable demo, Knights had decent amount of damage skills (and range), Maybe make the other damage skill's range to melee (close-combat).. Abraxas would be better then, imo.

LastingDawn

August 27, 2009, 05:05:01 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Abraxas is already too good... mainly because the Formula it's using doesn't support evasion, which is something we hope to fix.

Art of War