• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:05 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Persona 2: Custom Sprites

Started by Miroshi Beshima, August 28, 2011, 03:02:04 am

Miroshi Beshima

Well, I have been playing Persona 2: Innocent Sin recently, but, I have also been using RPG Maker VX.
So, I thought, "Oh, I like Persona 2 Sprites, so maybe I should put them into RPG Maker VX!
So, I'm trying to make custom sprites from Persona 2 sprite bases, which I feel very confident on,
but I would like some criticism, because there are a few things I can't seem to do right; Like the shading.
I thought you guys would be a great group of people to ask since a lot of you are good spriters.
Can somebody point me in the right direction, tell me what I need to fix?

Tyler

I'm no expert, but I'll still comment to say I think those look pretty dang good in my opinion. =]
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: tylerf#3233

Lijj

Kagebunji

My only issue would be kinda flat shading on arms and legs. Legs miss highlights on side views, and arms are kinda edgy in shape. Just make it softer. I am certain Smash's Dancer will give you many ideas, even though it is different styles, look at it for a ref.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Miroshi Beshima

Actually, that's what I'm currently working on now. I thought the same thing. But, the style of Persona sprites are quite flat looking, or at least to me. Some of the sprites use as much as only two colors for shading arms or legs. But, since I'm using them for RPG Maker, they can have as many colors as I want so I adding some more colors to add a little more depth to them.
Actually, right now I'm working on creating bases that will help me design my characters a lot easier. I have the views for the female base right now. The first four views are actually completely custom, so im kinda proud of that. But, the back diagonal view is not, I couldnt seem to get that one right myself.

Twinees

yeah miroshi you are right, Persona 2 sprites, particularly the arms, are quite flat looking.
I made some quick edits on your first sprite, which I hope matches the style still. Shortened the neck, made the hair slightly higher, moved the body position slightly and palette and slight edits on the skirt/dress.
Remember that the shading on the base doesnt particularly matter, just the measurements, as you will most likely be covering it up with clothing.

Hope this helps somewhat, and good luck with the rest of your stuff.

Miroshi Beshima

Oh, wow, yeah, that definitely looks a lot better. Thanks :D
And yeah, I know that shading doesnt matter, Idk why i worried about it so much haha