• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:43:54 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFTA: Archiving data & Nightmare modules [Editor package available]

Started by bcrobert, March 11, 2013, 11:19:08 pm

bcrobert

Project goal A-Nightmare Modules
This is a dual-purpose topic. The first part of this project is a series of Nightmare modules that I am developing independently. They can be used to edit much of the game's known data. Nightmare 1, which I prefer, does not support binary data. That's why some of the more advanced modules have to be on the less user-friendly Nightmare 2. Also, I will not release modules that edit data if better options (like AIO) already exist. My Nightmare modules will never support ASM, for reasons that should be obvious once you look at the program.

Read about Nightmare:
Nightmare is a program available on  url=http://www.romhacking.net]www.romhacking.net[/url] that can be used as a temporary solution for editing tables full of data.  It'll be easiest to understand just by downloading it, loading the rom, then loading a few modules yourself.  Nightmare modules don't have the quality or complexity of other tools, like Darthatron's AIO, but they get the job done when other tools aren't available.

Using these modules:
Just open Nightmare (2 for the enemy editors), choose your ROM, then choose the module (any .nmm file). I've got dropdown menus for most of the things you wouldn't want to memorize in hex. It'll be much easier than some newcomers might expect. The only complications arise if you're editing a ROM that you've already hacked to some degree...at which point I'd prefer for you to have some idea of how the structures of the ROM function anyway.

Project goal B-Archiving data

The second project is a CALL FOR HELP. I would like to gather as much of the data for FFTA in one place as possible. It's scattered across DataCrystal, insanely derpy, Final Fantasy Hacktics, and assorted other locations (like the hard drives of other hackers). Please help me to archive this data! Interested parties can post their notes anywhere in the topic or, preferably, PM those notes to me so that I can add them to the OP. The pieces of data that we can gather over time will be lumped together in the main archive for convenience.  If you don't have time to organize your notes or to check if I already have the data, I can do it myself.

If you send me a veritable mound of not yet archived data, like a detailed list of ASM routines or a guide to graphics hacking, then I will probably create a separate "user name's notes vX.rar."

If you want to contribute but have any technical/personal issues to consider please contact me here or via PM.

CREDITS:

Darthatron for numerous contributions to FFTA hacking.
Edea for numerous contributions to FFTA hacking.
Eternal for numerous contributions to FFTA hacking.
Looper for the only attempted text editing tool for FFTA.
Pickle Girl Fanboy for the ability spreadsheet.
Various members of Final Fantasy Hacktics and insanely derpy.
Myself for being drop-dead gorgeous.

SITES AND ORGANIZATION CREDITS:

RomHacking.net & DataCrystal.
Final Fantasy Hacktics & Mibbit.
insanely derpy.
Pokecommunity (Strangely...)
Gamefaqs.
Nintendo.
SquareEnix.

If I forget to credit anyone or credit someone falsely, please correct me immediately.

Requested activities
-Submit any data you might have for archiving purposes.
-Test/feedback on any or all of the Nightmare modules.
-Report inaccuracies in the OP or files.
-Show your support for the project by posting.

Activities that will be ignored
-Posts with evidence that you didn't read the OP.
-Complaints that are already covered by the README files.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

Eternal

Well color me very, very impressed. This is a very good tool and I'll definitely be using it! Great find, and I look forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

bcrobert

And I'm pleased to announce that thanks to Darthatron I'll also add a law editor. Because while some laws need to be erased forever (Dmg2Animal), I don't like erasing all of them personally.

EDIT. And I got the data for it literally right after your post, lol.

Eternal

March 12, 2013, 02:26:43 am #3 Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:46:56 am by Eternal
I'm playing with Nightmare now, and it seems like it can't be used on FFTA: Grim Grimoire. I attempt to open the .nmm file, but nothing happens. Is there any way to fix that?

EDIT: I assume it has to do with the ASM used in it or something.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, it seems to work fine. Just didn't load for whatever reason the first two times.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

bcrobert

March 15, 2013, 07:36:09 pm #4 Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:07:39 pm by bcrobert
Minor update. (Although I'm not sure how many people've even seen this topic yet.)

I had to correct the recruitment file name, and you can preview what I'm working on right now a little bit.  The module available for preview only works with Nightmare 2...so make sure you have that version.  I don't recommend using it as a real tool yet, though.  It's both untested and completely incomplete in every way.

The preview file, tucked away in other stuff, is HUMAN EDITOR-main plot.nmm.

EDIT. And the archive has been slightly updated, particularly the "minor hacks" file.

Darthatron

Might I ask why you're thanking PokeCommunity?

Also awesome work!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Darthatron

bcrobert

March 16, 2013, 01:58:31 am #6 Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:53:25 pm by bcrobert
Lol. You don't remember but that's actually where I met you and subsequently got into FFTA hacking.   :P

Also, another minor update.  I forgot the reward sets actually have an 8th set pertaining only to random battles (the mythril items).  It's been added to the random reward editor.

EDIT. The human editors are now complete. Anyone who wants to edit a few humans (like in Clan Dip or something) is more than welcome to try it out. What you see in the human editor is more or less what you can expect from the other editors. Remember that their abilities will only be read correctly if their post-edited class corresponds to the human race.

bcrobert

March 16, 2013, 11:35:16 pm #7 Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:32:52 pm by bcrobert
I now have a double-post-worthy update.  :)

The revised main race editors are finished. It should now be possible to edit the abilities on every enemy human, bangaa, nu mou, viera, and moogle in the game. The format is clumsy, but you can only do so much with 1's and 0's.

The monster editors shouldn't be too far behind. The bad news is that because of the race-divided ability lists there will have to be editors for EVERY MONSTER RACE. Lovely. Maybe I'll think of something more convenient.  :(

EDIT. The special character and totema editors are up too. So is a mission rewards editor. Not quite triple-post worthy though...

Darthatron

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Darthatron

bcrobert

March 18, 2013, 07:36:04 pm #9 Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:37:32 pm by bcrobert
Time for a sexy update!

The Nightmare 2 enemy editors are done. It's now possible to edit every ability in every skillset on every enemy in every battle in the entire game. This was, by a very wide margin, the most tedious set of editors to actually make.

Download v9 and enjoy the benefits of full custom enemies.

Jumza

Quote from: bcrobert on March 18, 2013, 07:36:04 pm
The Nightmare 2 editors are done. It's now possible to edit every ability in every skillset on every enemy in every battle in the entire game.

• Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

bcrobert

March 19, 2013, 01:56:00 am #11 Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:28:01 pm by bcrobert
Darth and I are looking into the bit properties of abilities and some more mission data stuff right now. The findings are enlightening.

Next time I have a day off, the community might see some more updates. And the new ability editor will use Nightmare 2, for better or for worse.

This isn't ready to be archived but read it anyway:

R = Reflectable [confirmed]
I = Ignore Reaction [untested but very likely]
O = Offensive? [not tested yet]

# = Able to target self [confirmed]

& = Triggers return magic [confirmed]
S = Stealable [not tested yet]
X = Blocked by Cover [confirmed]

L = Triggers Learning [confirmed]
B = Beastmaster can activate it [confirmed]
M = Not silencable [confirmed]
C = Can be double-cast [reported]

@ = Can Morpher use it? [untested]
P = Is physical [untested but likely]
A = Triggers absorb MP [matched to TFergusson's Mechanics FAQ]
T = Throw/Hurl [triggers Catch?-only on throw/hurl]

U = unusued [all confirmed as unused]

Byte  10| Byte  11| Byte  12| Byte  13
RIOU UUU# &S-X LBMC UUU- @PAT
1000 0001 0110 0001 0001 0000  Protect
0000 0001 0110 0001 0001 0000  Dispel
0010 0001 1111 0001 0001 0010  Holy
0010 0000 1110 0001 0001 0000  Judge
0010 0000 1011 0010 0001 0110  U. Blow
1010 0001 1111 0101 0001 1010  Fire
0110 0000 0111 0010 0001 0100  Greas. B.
0010 0000 0011 1111 0001 1110  Goblin P.
0010 0000 0011 0111 0001 1010  Limit Glove
0010 0000 0010 1110 0001 1000  Matra M.
0000 0000 0110 0000 0000 0000  Parley
0010 0000 0100 0010 0000 0000  Drop Weapon

Anyone who has a good hunch about the unknown properties in this structure should contact either me or Darthatron.

Even if I don't get every property, I'll release the unfinished ability editor soonish so more people can run play-tests if they're willing to.

bcrobert

Got another update. This one's relatively minor, but it adds a partial formation editor. All it edits right now is the number of units you can bring into each mission, but that's what I was actually looking for so I'm probably not gonna prioritize this module.

To clarify, this means you can change the number of allied units allowed in a battle. Adding too many will probably have adverse effects, so it's best used for rebalancing purposes. (Like if you want the showdown with Raven to be 2 on 2.) Guests are included in the limit.

bcrobert

March 30, 2013, 07:15:56 pm #13 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:50:03 am by bcrobert
'Nother update. No new modules this time, but there is a new routine by Darthatron in the archive's minor hacks document. The routine modifies Damage>MP to work like the FFTA2 version, where excess damage rolls over into normal HP damage. I might be biased, but I felt it was worth updating the archive version again.

Progress on the archives and nightmare modules will be slower from now on. Basically it's a combination between "not that much left to do" and "fresh new project impending."

EDIT.The new Damage>MP routine does not currently activate KO events such as JP and Reraise. The theory is that "legitimate" KOs are registered by something related to a select few pre-existing routines. It can be treated as a prototype for now.

bcrobert

April 13, 2013, 09:17:24 pm #14 Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:22:02 am by bcrobert
QUADRUPLE POST!!!

An ability effects editor is now available. This allows you to go even DEEPER into the A-abilities and edit the 4 effects you can put onto an ability directly. By editing the abilities at their core you gain ridiculous new possibilities such as MP stealing, 100% accurate 4 x damage abilities, and forcing status effects to use different accuracy formulas. Like Last Breath with 1/4 the hit rate of a normal attack.

This, used in tandem with the ability editor, rips abilities wide open for anyone that can handle the juggling. Anything is possible.

EDIT. Eternal contributed a list of labels for the ability effects so that the new module would be easier to navigate. Instructions for switching between "Eternal's list.txt" and "barebones list.txt" are in README>Overview.

EDIT2. And now there's a law editor. Not the law cycles, like in the other editor, but the actual laws. Rank, forbidden, recommended, and penalties. YOU NEVER HAVE TO PUT UP WITH A PERMANENT STAT DECREASE EVER AGAIN.

bcrobert

April 22, 2013, 01:13:44 am #15 Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:24:03 am by bcrobert
Quintuple post. My updating speed is that unparalleled.

There's an all new structure by Darthatron that allows laws to be forcibly added or set on a mission by mission basis. The tactical applications are endless. Both the new structure and an editor for it are complete.

It's also possible to rebalance combo abilities, using a formula hack in the "minor hacks" and another editor that affects the hit% of C-abilities in a chain.

Lastly, the addresses for various strings [names, dialogue] have been added to the "basic ROM map." They were already available to the community, but the archive felt incomplete without their addresses.

bcrobert

'Nother update. Yep.

The newest editor updates the inventory in Ezel's shop. It can be used to make certain cards unavailable (Dmg2 hint hint) and make other cards readily available (like Allmighty). That's all it does, but it's still a cute little toy. :P

bcrobert

This update is more about the archive than the modules. I don't think I've actually added any new modules, though I could have added a minor one or two and forgot.

More importantly, there have been some updates to the archive again. Another little ASM hack by Darthatron has been archived (for creating more spear & bow exclusive abilities) and the structure for treasure hunt rewards is now archived.

Ethereal Embrace

Regarding the minor hacks notes:
QuoteRevival nerf:
The standard for revival is 50% of max HP. To change this to 25% simply change:
0x08131a6a: 80 08
This automatically changes the 50% of max HP formula to 25% (every skill with that value will be affected).

I'd really like this to be implemented in my game. However my hex editor keeps telling me that the address is invalid?
All of the other minor hacks seem to work just fine except the Spear/Bow and Damage>Mp ones...
Unless those are pointers...?

bcrobert

Did you remember to remove "08" from the address? The "actual" address is0x131a6a. Your hex editor's goto function might not read it properly if you leave the 08 at the beginning.