• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:41:36 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Revised

Started by advfox, November 20, 2014, 04:02:38 pm

advfox

November 20, 2014, 04:02:38 pm Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:28:57 am by Blue
**This patch is not yet in a playable state; testing will be available in the future**

As of the latest update of this post (01/28/2015), I am focusing on Job Stats/Equipment/Abilities.

The primary point of this patch is to make Final Fantasy Tactics A2 much more of a challenge than it was before. I'll be looking over pretty much every aspect of the game, and changing what needs to be changed. This will definitely take a while with all that I have to do, so if anyone is interested, feel free to give me any ideas or suggestions for improvement that you may have. I'll consider anything.

If you don't like the pace at which this patch is progressing, remember that one person can only do so much in his/her spare time.

To-do

- Examine all jobs, abilities, items, and equipment; make changes if necessary. This also applies to monsters and bosses.

- Fix/remove anything game-breaking. This applies to the aforementioned.

- Balance out all stat growths for every job. This is one of the tougher things to do.

- Remove all laws.

- Give enemies increased levels, more abilities to choose from, and better equipment.

- Make all hidden jobs available from the start of the game.

- Create new "Challenge" missions. These will replace Clan Trials.

Changes Made

General

- Most base job stats have been halved, and every job has very similar base stats.
- Most jobs now have a speed growth rate of 50% per level. Jobs with advanced speed no longer have anything higher than a rate of 85%.
- All characters start with max MP, but it no longer regenerates per turn.
- More abilities cost MP than before, and MP costs have been raised.
- Top-tier magick and abilities (e.g Scathe, Meteor, Holy) can no longer be evaded.
- No one can enter water without Winged Boots. All jobs have been given +1 Jump to compensate.
- All races are now recruited during the Skyfrost/Blackfrost months.
- All special units join at level one.

Jobs

- Beastmaster has been changed to "Mediator," with a new skillset. All monster control skills have been consolidated into one single ability.
- Thief has a redone skillset. 
- Fusilier has been renamed to "Gunner."
- Moogle Knight has been changed to "Knight." Redone skillset to revolve around tanking.
- Ravager has been changed to "Breaker." New skillset to revolve around stat-decreasing magick.

Equipment

Hume
Soldier

Weapons: Swords, Greatswords
Armor: Shields, Hats, Helms, Heavy Armors, Light Armors

Thief

Weapons: Knives
Armor: Light Armors, Hats

White Mage

Weapons: Staves
Armor: Robes, Light Armor, Hats

Black Mage

Weapons: Rods
Armor: Robes, Light Armor Hats

Archer

Weapons: Bows, Greatbows

Paladin

Fighter

Parivir

Weapons: Katana

Ninja

Weapons: Knives, Katana

Illusionist

Weapons: Rods, Staves, Maces
Armor: Robes, Light Armors, Hats

Blue Mage

Hunter

Weapons: Greatbows

Seer

Bangaa
Warrior

Weapons: Swords, Broadswords
Armor: Shields, Hats, Helms, Heavy Armors, Light Armors

White Monk

Dragoon

Weapons: Spears, Swords
Armor: Helms, Heavy Armors

Defender

Gladiator

Master Monk

Bishop

Templar

Cannoneer

Trickster

Nu Mou
White Mage

Black Mage

Mediator

Time Mage

Illusionist

Weapons: Staves, Rods, Maces

Alchemist

Arcanist

Sage

Scholar

Viera
Dancer

Fencer

Weapons: Rapiers

White Mage

Green Mage

Archer

Weapons: Bows, Greatbows

Elementalist

Red Mage

Spellblade

Summoner

Weapons: Staves, Rods

Assassin

Sniper

Moogle
Animist

Thief

Weapons: Knives

Black Mage

Knight

Weapons: Swords, Knightswords, Greatswords
Armor: Shields, Helms, Heavy Armors, Robes

Gunner

Juggler

Tinker

Time Mage

Chocobo Knight

Flintlock

Seeq
Berserker

Ranger

Lanista

Viking

Gria
Hunter

Raptor

Breaker

Weapons: Axes, Katana

Geomancer

Stat Growths
*Format: Move/Jump/Evasion/Base HP/HP Growth/Base MP/MP Growth/Base Attack/Attack Growth/Base Defense/Defense Growth/Base Magick/Magick Growth/Base Resistance/Resistance Growth/Base Speed/Speed Growth

Hume
Sky Pirate

Heritor

Soldier

4/3/0%/52/8/15/2/85/9/80/8/65/6/72/7/5/50%

Thief

4/4/18%/38/6/16/2/76/8/74/7/76/7/70/6/8/78%

White Mage

Black Mage

Archer

Paladin

Fighter

Parivir

Ninja

Illusionist

Blue Mage

Hunter

Seer

Bangaa
Warrior

4/3/0%/60/9/15/2/89/9/86/8/60/6/65/7/5/50%

White Monk

Dragoon

Defender

Gladiator

Master Monk

Bishop

Templar

Cannoneer

Trickster

Nu Mou
White Mage

Black Mage

Mediator

Time Mage

Illusionist

Alchemist

Arcanist

Sage

Scholar

Viera
Dancer

Fencer

White Mage

Green Mage

Archer

Elementalist

Red Mage

Spellblade

Summoner

Assassin

Sniper

Moogle
Animist

Thief

4/4/16%/38/6/16/2/76/8/74/7/76/7/70/6/8/80%

Black Mage

Knight

4/3/0%/51/8/20/2/87/9/92/10/60/5/85/9/5/50%

Gunner

Juggler

Tinker

Time Mage

Chocobo Knight

Flintlock

Seeq
Berserker

Ranger

Lanista

Viking

Gria
Hunter

Raptor

Breaker

Geomancer

Equipment
Coming later.

Abilities

Arts of War

- First Aid is slightly more effective, and now additionally recovers some debuffs, like the way it did in FFTA.
- All "Rend" skills now additionally deal normal attack damage.
- Rend Power/Magick/MP cost 10MP to use.
- Rend Speed costs 20MP to use.
- Provoke now has a range of 3.
- Mug Gil has been removed.

Thievery

- Steal Items and all Loot LVX abilities have been removed.
- New ability, Steal, which steals either Loot, Gil, or Items. Normal attack accuracy.
- Steal Gil steals more gil than before. Normal attack accuracy.
- New ability, Mug, which deals normal attack damage and has a small chance to steal either Loot, Gil, or Items. Normal attack accuracy.
- New ability, Steal Armor, which can steal either head or body equipment from an enemy.   
- New ability, Master Thief, which steals LV4 Loot at normal attack accuracy.

White Magick

- Cure costs 10MP to use.
- Cura costs 30MP to use.
- Curaga costs 58MP to use.
- Esuna costs 15MP to use.
- Raise costs 30MP to use.
- Arise costs 80MP to use.
- Reraise costs 75MP to use.
- Refresh -> Renew, which fully restores one target's HP and removes all debuffs. Has a heavy cost of 120MP to use.

Black Magick

- All Tier 1 spells cost 10MP to use.
- All Tier 2 spells cost 25MP to use.
- All Tier 3 spells cost 50MP to use.

Precision

- Focus is unchanged.
- Blackout deals normal weapon damage along with a chance to inflict Blind. Costs 8MP to use.
- Leg Shot costs 8MP to use.
- Arm Shot costs 12MP to use.
- Cupid costs 12MP to use.
- Burial deals Holy damage to the Undead, and removes KO'd Undead from the field. Costs 30MP to use.
- Take Aim hits with a 100% accuracy along with normal weapon damage. Costs 30 MP to use.
- Lightning Strike costs 12MP to use.

Flair

- Wind Slash costs 8MP to use.
- Iai Blow now deals normal weapon damage, and has a small chance to inflict K.O. Costs 50MP to use.
- Blade Bash now deals normal weapon damage and costs 12MP to use.
- Shimmering Blade's power has been reduced, and can now hit up to two targets in a line. Chance to inflict Confuse has been reduced. Costs 18MP to use.
- Skyfury Blade's power has been reduced, and now hits at double accuracy. Chance to inflict Berserk has been reduced. Costs 18MP to use.
- Hoarfrost Blade's power has been reduced, and now ignores reaction abilities. Has a chance to delay turn rather than inflict Slow, and that chance has been reduced. Costs 18MP to use.
- Lifethread Blade's power has been reduced, and costs 18MP to use.
- Unburden Soul now revives up to four allies with 10% HP, and has a range of 4.

Ninjutsu

- Throw is unchanged.
- All Veils cost 8MP to use, and have an AoE of 1.
- Unspell is unchanged.
- Oblivion is unchanged.

Illusion

- All Illusion magick has been slightly reduced in power, and have MP costs of 40.

Blue Magick

- Magick Hammer has been given a noticeable boost in power, and costs 12MP to use.
- White Wind now costs 40MP to use.
- Angel Whisper no longer recovers HP, and costs 40MP to use.
- Night now costs 35MP to use.
- Screech has been given a boost in power, and costs 30MP to use.
- War Dance now costs 30MP to use, and only hits units adjacent to the user.
- Roar now costs 12MP to use.
- Sandstorm now costs 30MP to use.
- Cornered is unchanged.
- Matra Magick now has normal debuff accuracy, and costs 40MP to use.
- Bad Breath now costs 30MP to use.
- Eerie Sound Wave is unchanged.
- Unction is unchanged.
- Self-destruct is unchanged.
- Doom now costs 20MP to use.
- Roulette now costs 30MP to use.
- Quake now hits in a Summon-sized AoE, and costs 70MP to use. Cannot be evaded.
- Expose Weakness, Mighty Guard, and Dragon Force now target a small AoE, and their range has been reduced to 3. They cost 35MP to use.

Trapping

- Sonic Boom now costs 28MP to use.
- Oust -> Hawkeye. Grants Accuracy↑ to self with an MP Cost of 30.
- Advice -> Precision. Grants Critical↑ to self with an MP Cost of 22.
- Vitals Shot now deals damage to monsters. 22 MP Cost.
- Hunting now only targets monsters, but deals more damage. Costs 10 MP to use.
- Counter Force now only targets months, but deals damage at the same time. Costs 28 MP to use.
- Sidewinder now only targets monsters, and it's power has been reduced. Costs 45MP to use.

Chivalry

- Nurse now recovers slightly more HP, and only targets allies.
- Defend is unchanged.
- Cover is unchanged.
- Parley has been removed.
- Saint Cross -> Light Break. Damages targets in a straight line, dealing holy damage damage with a small chance to inflict     Stop. Costs 40MP to use, and has a range of 4.
- Holy Blade now costs 68MP to use. It deals twice the damage of a normal attack, but the user is left with the Addle status after using it. Cannot be evaded.
- Sanctify now additionally deals moderate damage to Undead that have not yet been KO'd, and costs 20MP to use.
- War Cry now costs 10MP to use.

Puglism

- Rush is unchanged.
- Wild Swing has greater damage potential, and has an MP Cost of 15.
- Beat Down hits now hits at normal accuracy, and bypasses Defense instead of dealing double damage. Costs 15MP to use.
- Blitz now delays a target's turn instead of hitting at double accuracy. Costs 15MP to use.
- Air Render's power has been slightly reduced, and costs 10MP to use. It now has the Air element.
- Aurablast power has been reduced, and costs 15MP to use.
- Air Blast now costs 20MP to use.
- Back Draft is now non-elemental, and costs 40MP to use.

High Magick

- Recharge now restores 30MP, and has no MP Cost.
- Magick Frenzy is now limited to low level spells. It costs 30MP to use.

High Magick

- Recharge now restores 30MP, and has no MP Cost.
- Magick Frenzy is now limited to low level spells. It costs 30MP to use.

• Modding version: PSX

ArcticPrism

How did you make units start with full MP?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

advfox

Quote from: ArcticPrism on November 20, 2014, 07:39:17 pm
How did you make units start with full MP?

It was Darthatron's discovery - modify all of the bytes at these addresses in a hex editor.

BD180: B8 03 C4 E1
BD18C: 00 10 A0 E3
BEC44: BA 03 D5 E1

ArcticPrism

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

advfox

Anyone have any ideas of what abilities could be used in the Mediator's skillset? I'm not exactly sure what direction to go with that job.

FrozenDragon150

Good job, i have a few questions though:

How can you do the following?
"- Remove all laws.

- Give enemies increased levels, more abilities to choose from, and better equipment.

- Make all hidden jobs available from the start of the game. "

Also, how can you change Job's names? Do you know how to change job descriptions? What about skillset names and descriptions?

As for Mediator... Well, i don't really remember many skills right now, but what about making them a 'dialogue' based status effect job? With things like Provoke, Advice and the like?

advfox

November 26, 2014, 02:12:00 pm #6 Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:28:43 pm by Blue
Quote from: FrozenDragon150 on November 26, 2014, 01:28:15 pm
Good job, i have a few questions though:

How can you do the following?
"- Remove all laws.

- Make all hidden jobs available from the start of the game. "

Also, how can you change Job's names? Do you know how to change job descriptions? What about skillset names and descriptions?

As for Mediator... Well, i don't really remember many skills right now, but what about making them a 'dialogue' based status effect job? With things like Provoke, Advice and the like?

Well, I already know that the Mediator is a speech-oriented job. I'm just not sure of which statuses they should inflict, ability range, etc.

To answer your first two questions, look at Lennart's "Enemy Data" spreadsheet. You can find out where to mess with enemy data there, along with laws. Setting the Law byte to 00 removes laws for that specific battle, but if you want to remove laws completely, you'll have to do this for every battle in the game.

I don't know how to make hidden classes available yet - I'm not even sure if this can be changed on hex level. I'm still looking into it.

If you want to change game text, Lennart's spreadsheets include what bytes correspond to which characters. I did make a table file from all of it, which you can use in WindHex, or any other hex editor that can load table files. I find editing text this way to be much easier. If you're using WindHex: File > Open Table File > Table #1.

bcrobert

If you're making Mediator, I would start by moving Advice and Parley onto them. The range of the skills could be anything from 1-4 and be perfectly reasonable since it's all talk. I would just balance the range and MP costs based on how powerful/important the skill is. The problem with Mediator is that they were originally useful for manipulating Brave/Faith scores which only exist in FFT.

Other possible skills:
Invite = Inflict Charm, single target
Encourage = Heal and add Regen, single target
Insult = Inflict Berserk, single target
Accuse = Inflict Slow, single target
Negotiate = Steal Gil, single target
Warning = Inflict Doom, single target
Threat = Inflict Def- and Res-, single target
Mislead = Inflict Confuse, small AoE
Pray = Inflict Reraise, single target
Mediate = Inflict Stop, large AoE
Mimic Montblanc = Inflict Berserk, all units
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

FrozenDragon150

Mimic Montblanc = Berserk

That made me fall of my bed laughing

...And hit myself in the face, curse you bcrobert...!

advfox

All of those skill ideas are great. I'll be sure to take note of them.

If Montblanc is anywhere on the field after Mimic Montblanc is used, all Berserked units, allies and foes alike, specifically target him.

FrozenDragon150

Hey, i just had an idea, if i can edit text, does that mean i can create unique classes for characters by replacing the dummy ones?

I'd love to make one for frimelda, kinda like a female Orlandeau, called "Blademaster" with "Blade Skills" as Command, and having Holy Blade, Blade Dance, Parivir elemental blades and possibly other Sword-based skill. Oh, and being able to equip Swords, Blades, Greatswords, Knightswords and Katanas.

Maybe that's just a dream though

advfox

It's definitely possible, but I don't think it's simple.

Also, text editing has its limits right now. No one has found where the pointers are yet AFAIK, so any new text you add in can't be longer than what it was originally.

bcrobert

Quote from: Blue on November 26, 2014, 08:41:16 pm
If Montblanc is anywhere on the field after Mimic Montblanc is used, all Berserked units, allies and foes alike, specifically target him.

OMG YES.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

FrozenDragon150

Well, i already changed a "Gimmick Unit" (The one in the 93 slot, right after Nightshade) to "Blademaster"

I did that 'cause as far as i know, Gimmick Units are not used by the game anywhere, but the Commands are a bit more complicated since i think the game uses all of those

advfox

Gimmick units are things like pots and chairs. They're all used in the game at some point, I believe.

FrozenDragon150

Really? Oh, well, back to the drawing board there.

But, if all classes on the editor are used at least once in the game, that would make it even harder to create unique classes...

That's really my main concern right now, some characters really need these, namely, Luso, Cid, Frimelda and Montblanc (this one less so than the others)

After all, it's not fair that everyone else has their super-sweet-and-awesome special classes and these ones are left out.

In fact, i already have some ideas for Cid and Frimelda, Cid should be a "Protector" an upgraded version of the Defender, but with more skill variety, Cover, higher defensive stats and attack, able to equip Knuckles, Broadswords, Greatswords and Spears.

Frimelda, like i said before, should be a "Blademaster" with "Blade Skill" or "Swordsmanship" as command, having high Attack, Defense, Speed and Resilence (status defense) as well as Blade-based skills.

Btw, i noticed that Gifted one and Nightfall, as well as a few other classes are absent from the Editor

advfox

I was just doing some memory editing - and I believe I have discovered some text pointers. I'll dig into this further.

There are two unused slots, if you don't plan on creating more than two classes.

"Gifted One" and "Nightfall" aren't actual classes. They're just the normal Hunter and Ninja jobs with specially assigned job names for specific battles. That's why they're not present in the editor.

FrozenDragon150

2 slots? Oh, great news then, Cid and Frimelda may have new classes, Luso might as well work as a normal hume since he's got all that "wants to see everything about ivalice" theme

...Which slots, by the way?

Text pointers... Does that mean that it should be possible to edit descriptions and names?! Awesome!

Also, have you found a way to do level scaling? I think a crude version of it is present in some battles, i've noticed level differences in enemies during multiple playthroughs, i once fought against Ewen at the Rupie Mountains, he was level 25, then i made a low level run and he was level 19

advfox

I'm not sure how to make the enemies scale with the highest leveled unit in the clan, but you can change the maximum level of every enemy in each battle, up to 99.

You can already edit all text, but you can't go beyond a certain number of characters, depending on what you're editing. For example, you can't change "Parivir" to anything longer than seven characters without the text overflowing. 

Job slots 8C and 9A are free.

FrozenDragon150

Awesomesauce!

Well, i suppose just making them have better abilities and higher levels should make up for the lack of scaling, i guess they could be given some of the best combos, like giving Ewen a High Magick secundary with Magick Frenzy for him to combo with his Ninjutsu, and maybe Dual Wield