• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:05:41 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Free Spaces?

Started by plandr, September 18, 2011, 04:29:24 am

plandr

September 18, 2011, 04:29:24 am Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:31:49 am by plandr
Long story short I'd like to add Barret/Seph/Aeris/Tifa etc. from here http://ffhacktics.com/sprites.php?spritesperpage=20&show=all into the game.

Using ShiShi I've been able to do a sprite replacement but what I really want to do is add these characters without replacing an existing sprite.

If that isn't possible does anyone have any recommendations on characters that are good replacements (i.e. I can replace the sprite with say, Tifa, and I will only see that person once/not at all in the game?)

I got a response to this question in another topic. They said:

[/quote]

Quote from: GeneralStrife on September 18, 2011, 04:06:47 am
you have to change what sprite the character uses in the patcher. there are some free slots in shishi like the ??? spriters. This isn't for this topic either. You should have asked in help.

Chastened, I've come here to ask what the other free spaces there are/what additional tips you have.

Also, could someone link me to the most up to data FF Patcher? Want to make sure I got the right one (Have .478) since I picked the other one up from a google search. ^_^

Thanks. :)

Eternal

There's an unused Celia and Lede sprite in Shishi, as well as three glitched spritesheets that you can replace.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

plandr

September 18, 2011, 04:47:18 am #2 Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:48:17 am by plandr
Quote from: Eternal248 on September 18, 2011, 04:32:24 am
There's an unused Celia and Lede sprite in Shishi, as well as three glitched spritesheets that you can replace.

Thank you. Question about the patcher coming up :)

plandr

Quote from: Eternal248 on September 18, 2011, 04:32:24 am

How do I use the patcher to re-assign the default sprites of certain characters? (I.E. how do I make Delita look like someone else).

Eternal

In the ENTD tab, go to the event/battle with the character you want to change and change their SPRITE SET with the dropdown.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

plandr

Quote from: Eternal248 on September 18, 2011, 05:27:17 am
In the ENTD tab, go to the event/battle with the character you want to change and change their SPRITE SET with the dropdown.

Thanks SO much. :)

Last question (I think):

I tried importing some custom sprites (Rena and Vincent Valentine from this site) into the game using the ShiShi editor. I loaded the ISO and imported the sprites over Celia and Lede.

Then I loaded a save game and replaced the character set and class of one of my generics with the Lede character set/class. On the intro battle screen though I'm getting the changed name but a glitchy character sprite.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Eternal

As in... the actual battle or the formation screen?

plandr

Quote from: Eternal248 on September 18, 2011, 05:58:29 am

Issues with both. In the formation screen nothing looks right. Rena is a big glitch and Link looks like Ramza.

In the actual game Rena's sprite shows up but Link just looks like a normal squire.

plandr

Quote from: Eternal248 on September 18, 2011, 05:58:29 am

Pictures are worth a 1000 words or so I guess.

Here are the images showing what I've done:

Changes I made to the saves, changes I made to the characters and what I'm actually getting. 

Eternal

Read this tutorial on how to change formation screen sprites: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6702.0

plandr

Quote from: Eternal248 on September 18, 2011, 06:34:00 am
Read this tutorial on how to change formation screen sprites: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6702.0

Thanks. :)

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong to get a squire as opposed to my actual character in the battle itself?

Eternal

Did you replace the sprite over a character that has a unit.bin/wldface.bin sprite?

plandr

Quote from: Eternal248 on September 18, 2011, 06:49:13 am
Did you replace the sprite over a character that has a unit.bin/wldface.bin sprite?

I replaced the five free space characters (39, 3A and the three ???'s)

Of the characters I tried to replace only the 1st ??? mark slot shows up on the screen with portrait and all.

You've been a great help though. I'm a bit sleepy now and have been reading tutorials/tinkering for too many hrs tonight. Going to go to sleep and try again tomorrow fresh. :)

plandr

Quote from: Eternal248 on September 18, 2011, 06:49:13 am

I have all of the characters showing up in battle as they are supposed to now. I was applying the wrong labels to the characters in the save editor is all.

That said, I still need to find a way to fix battle and formation portraits given the way shishi is packing my save files. If you have any ideas there (although I've posted requested help in the topic already) I'd appreciate it. :)

Zozma

October 06, 2011, 08:42:21 pm #14 Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:21:04 pm by Zozma
the information you need for assigning a unit.bin sprite to a job that normally doesn't show up properly is here, start around page 3 or 4 of this topic

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=1495.100

I know exactly what you are referring to so if you have any questions let me know...

In this example you can see Celia having the dancer sprite in the menu INSTEAD of looking like a garbled mess as it would be by default.
unfortunately she is using ramza's color palette as well, I am not certain where the assigned palettes are, but if you are using a unique sprite slot to assign to your secondary celia/lede slots, for example, the unused priest. then it has its own palette anyway.
(note that you can see i also assigned the dancer sprite to Lede, right next to her, which is using ramza's second palette, again i dont know how to change that)

In the second picture you will see that i did this to ramza as a test as well, indicating that you can do this with any character slot :)
(you can also see that exact same copy of Celia and Lede who look like ramza in the menu before hex editing, this is probably why the palettes are that of ramza as well even when you change the assigned sprite)

I haven't messed with this in a while but i do have knowlege of what to do, its really not that difficult as long as your messing with uniques

Again, i highly recommend you do not use generic jobs to assign to special characters here, but there are free slots that CAN be edited with EVGRP and then assigned wherever you want:
3 Unused priest sprites (similar to simon)
pigtailed girl with blue skirt

thats already 4 right there...
In addition to that there is Simon, Balmafula and Olan who are never used by default, these can be edited in EVGRP and reassigned elsewhere

Another side note between these two screenshots, youll see one of the two versions of dark knight in my menu, and then youll see that in the next screenshot instead it looks like Rad. BOTH versions of dark knight are assigned to the exact same unit.bin sprite, and so i assigned one of them to the unused priest unit.bin sprite and then used EVGRP to change it to look like rad. now both dark knight jobs have their own seperate unit.bin sprite :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!