• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:34 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

[UTILITY] Win32 Unicode Font Tool (1.0.0.2)

Started by lirmont, August 01, 2013, 08:10:59 am

lirmont

August 01, 2013, 08:10:59 am Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:51:08 am by lirmont
Download here: Unicode Font Tool.

--

Usage: organize and manipulate related series of images that represent font objects.

--

Use Simple Per-Character Base Images

Use Base Images From Other Fonts

Support Lots of Languages Quickly (1)

Support Lots of Languages Quickly (2)

Support Lots of Languages Quickly (3)

Support Lots of Symbol-Based Languages

Export It All Out Automatically

--

So, anyway, this initial release captures the base functionality required to replace the old way of making good-looking pixel fonts (of which games like FFT use extensively). There are more features I have planned. Most notably, a similar feature to FontForge's proofing tool (so you can type and see how things look together in your font), but that will require making a virtual keyboard (which will take a while). Also, the permanently disabled combo-box is for colors, which seamlessly add a whole new layer to the process (but I didn't write the color replacement effect yet, so it's useless at the moment). Additionally, I have plans to provide an import-export feature for zipped fonts (pursuant to the contribution's browser that will make its way into this program later, allowing you to download user-contributed fonts in one click). There are also other effects (like borders) that I'll need to write.

That's about it for now. If you don't have a contributor's license but you are willing to help me test this (and it will need lots of testing considering I'm only familiar with English and won't recognize missing stuff in other languages), send me a PM, and I'll send you login details. Thanks for your continued interest in the Tethical project.

Mobius

*Grabs*

Lovely.
Don't think I got the time to test now, but I'll have it here just in case.
Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

Kivutar

Great tool!!!

Panda tools to export pixel fonts are broken since 1.8.0. With this, we are not stuck anymore.
Tethical, an online FFT clone

lirmont

August 03, 2013, 03:44:37 am #3 Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:46:01 am by lirmont
They're not broken in Windows. :P But, those tools also don't really solve the problem, since needing to change something non-trivial means needing to do at least half the work over again. This takes it a step farther and even does lots of the standard art stuff you might do (like shadows) and allows you to automate it (since it should be automated because it's predictable). At any rate, no more manually copying over the image maps egg-mkfont made!

--

Proofing Tool

Proofing Tool (Zoomed In)

--

Proofing Tool (Long Text)

Proofing Tool (Zoomed In Text)

Proofing Tool (Overlap Detection)

Color Effect Stack Support

Proofing Tool (same base images, different variant, color, and output)

Character Viewer (Zooming)

Lijj

August 24, 2013, 04:20:50 am #4 Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:29:18 am by Lijj
Thanks to the awesome editing capabilities you've included, I made some changes to the alignments of a lot of letters; including the comma, the T, the V's;v's and W's and w's among others... There is one problem with my actual font I need to address tomorrow as well (since I'm getting too sleepy as of now). The p's and q's also need some fixing cause they look shorter than the other characters. I didn't foresee them looking as awkward when I made the font earlier.

There's definitely more room for changes as it's hard to test all the letter combos in one session. I'll keep testing over the next few days.. In time it will be fine.
Here's the latest update:
  • Modding version: PSX

Lijj

So.. may I have these added as replacements for the letters p and q? I couldn't figure out how to replace the symbols myself:

lirmont

August 25, 2013, 05:53:23 pm #6 Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:53:59 pm by lirmont
Done. Also, right-click -> "Browse" on the character block in the main window is what you want.

Lijj

August 30, 2013, 05:47:06 pm #7 Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:54:13 pm by Lijj
Here's a full update with new symbols (&,@,#, etc.) included. I also changed the y and some letter placements:

lirmont

February 18, 2014, 07:10:50 pm #8 Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:21:03 pm by lirmont
A Linguistic Goal & Tools to Achieve It

As a test, I wanted to show coverage for an important script (namely Han). First, a real word in a different language: google translate for comparison. Then I jokingly tried to transliterate my handle name to show I could pick the appropriate characters. I ended up with something like this: Liù rú mán tiāo. Hear google translate say it out loud: here. The faux-lation is just the meaning of each individual character strung together.

Type Anything. Copy Anything. Paste Anything.

Same Great Base Font. Brand New Skin. No New Work.

Type in Egyptian Heiroglyphs, Because It's the 21st Century

Check Coverage of Scripts (Languages Later)

Those were some pictures of how this program looks now. I don't have a stable release yet, though. Unicode is a beast.