• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:48:30 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Gender Byte

Started by cadence, May 21, 2019, 12:36:14 pm

cadence

http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/World_Stats

I see that a Gender Byte shows up at 0x04 in the Stats List, and then again at 0x70 with different flags but some overlap. Does anyone know what's going on there?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: cadence#6190

Xifanie

You're looking at the graphical section. I'm not even sure why there's a graphical section; it should be its own page.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

cadence

The graphical section meaning that's where the data shown in the UI is stored in RAM? So I'm guessing that's not per-unit, and that's why there are a bunch of duplicate fields?

I did notice the graphical section header but hadn't quite put together what that meant, since yeah it's weird that they share the same page. I could split that section off if you'd like but I'm not sure which pages should link to it and so on. >_>

Reading through this, I wonder why they decided to store things like Move as halfwords and not single bytes...

Glain

Those are two different arrays of unit data.  The first is the main party data, and the second is the unit data used in the formation screen.  I actually have a more detailed definition of that data structure in the Data/Table Locations page.  (Search for "801c8638 (WORLD.BIN)")

In the case of formation screen unit data offset 0x70, it's copied from party data offset 0x04, so those should have the same value. (This routine is the one that copies the data.)

As for why they sometimes used 2-byte fields when 1-byte fields would suffice, it probably wasn't a conscious decision.  They probably used a short data type instead of a char data type in their C source code, or something along those lines.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

cadence

OK, thanks for the links!