• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:08:42 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

More newbie Questions...

Started by xanien, March 05, 2008, 11:41:59 pm

xanien

March 05, 2008, 11:41:59 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by xanien
So basically, I'm at a point where I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm doing still...

I've made all the codes I wanted to work functional on the Gameshark (awesome), so thus far I'm doing good, but I had a few questions.

1.  What is the function of CD Mage?  Does it rip ISO's or is it used to replace/update files?
2.  I noticed that the Hokuten have two palettes on the Knight sprite list...is it possible to change one of them, thus creating my own custom generic? (This question pertains mostly to ally units v. enemy units, and my insatiable desire to have a unique generic palette for my guys only...)
3.  Is it possible to rip an ISO, patch it, burn it to a CDR, and play it on a PS2?
4.  Due to the actions in cut scenes not listed by the complete sprite sheets, if I wanted to edit Ramza's sprite within the cutscenes as well, what is required for that to work exactly?

Once again, I know these are probably really simplistic and stupid questions, but I'm really trying to understand what I'm doing ;-p.

I'm also avoiding asking anything about palettes/custom sprites because of the wealth of information in the actual forum...I'm still sorting through that.  Once again, whatever help anyone wants to give is very much so appreciated.

Thank you for your time:

Xanien.

Kheldarn

March 06, 2008, 12:17:40 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kheldarn
Quote from: "xanien"1.  What is the function of CD Mage?  Does it rip ISO's or is it used to replace/update files?
It lets you extract files from the ISO, allowing you to modify them, and then it will re-insert the modified files, so that they will work.

Quote from: "xanien"3.  Is it possible to rip an ISO, patch it, burn it to a CDR, and play it on a PS2?
As long as your PS2 is modded and can play CD-R burned from ISOs, then I'd have to say yes, it is possible.

Those are all I can answer. Sorry I can't help with 2 or 4...

Xifanie

March 06, 2008, 09:02:41 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "xanien"2.  I noticed that the Hokuten have two palettes on the Knight sprite list...is it possible to change one of them, thus creating my own custom generic? (This question pertains mostly to ally units v. enemy units, and my insatiable desire to have a unique generic palette for my guys only...)
If you want only YOU to have access to the first palette, that's going to be trouble. You'd have to change every generic palette entry and make sure itt's not 0x00 and if it is change it to something else (hell, even copy the palette colors to another palette and just switch) Then you can change the palette to your desires. Do it if you want, but you'll probably have to edit/check about 50 ENTD, Plus the palette editing for every generic job; male & female.

Quote from: "xanien"4.  Due to the actions in cut scenes not listed by the complete sprite sheets, if I wanted to edit Ramza's sprite within the cutscenes as well, what is required for that to work exactly?
We don't have an editor for that now... Only the modified sprite would be needed (as it loads the palette from the current unit) so all we'd have to do is insert it back. But you'll have to wait.

And my teacher always told us that even if you get called stupid in the end, at least now you know.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

xanien

March 18, 2008, 08:31:19 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by xanien
I figure this is the appropriate place for this, so I'd notate some basic things that I ran into causing me personal difficulty, and how I solved them on my system so that people have the information in one tidy post!

1.  For those who still don't know (which I doubt, I feel out of my element in this place :p) CDMage is used to insert your RAW data adjustments made through the FFT patcher or Sprite edits into the playable ISO that can be used with an emulator.  I found that if the image is mounted on Daemon Tools that you cannot insert anything into it, which is probably a misunderstanding on my part.

2.  Zodiac clearly answered this one.

3.  I tried this using the program IMGBURN, and it distinctly and brutally failed.  In fact, I was curious if it was necessary to hack your PS2 in order to make this a possible fact?  Also, I ran into major difficulties with the burn, mostly comprising of errors in terms of the gameplay, which led me to believe that the disc was incapable of operating the same way...but the FFT disc is just a regular CD to my knowledge.

4.  Again, Zodiac...

Xanien.

Xifanie

March 18, 2008, 09:36:04 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Watch out with CDMage & Daemon, if the image is mounted and you try to open it with CDMage, you're gonna get an error. Worse thing is that it will remove the iamge from the latest opened image, which you have to go find all over again (a pain).

I always check if FFT is mounted before doing anything now. :/

---

You NEED some device in order to play FFT burnt on a disc.

- Gameshark
- Gameshark CD
- Swap Magic CD
- Memory Card boot hack (you need a DexDrive or some similar tool, then get the hack from the intarwebz)
- Modchip (pay to install unless you know what you're doing)

I don't know if there are any hard drive alternatives; I'm pretty sure those are all that exists.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

xanien

March 18, 2008, 09:39:35 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by xanien
hah, now you tell me :p  A week ago I couldn't get on the forums (were they down?) and I was flying solo...it took me 6 hours to figure that out because I thought that the sprite editing guide mentioned something about daemon and CDMage

Most likely that you can't mount it.

Anyway, off we go.

Kheldarn

March 19, 2008, 12:51:38 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kheldarn
Quote from: "Zodiac"You NEED some device in order to play FFT burnt on a disc.

- Gameshark
If you have the Original Model PSX, with the serial port in the back, then you can "mod" your PSX with a GameSharkPro. It's how I did it, before my PSX was stolen. :(

xanien

March 19, 2008, 04:52:17 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by xanien
sorry to hear that man...I've been trying to use a burnt copy on the PS2 for portability to amaze my friends with...I don't feel like dragging my laptop everywhere...mostly just convience.  I also wanted to have a gamepad controller on it, but I just converted my 360 controller last night, and all is well.  Now I'm just trying to keep my laptop from blowing up everytime I run the game (sad, I know) due to overheating...whoever makes these damned computers needs to STOP PUTTING THE FAN ON THE BOTTOM!!!

anyway.

I use CDcases for the time being, but I'm thinking about how I can do one better...any practical (by that I mean easy and cheap) ways to figure that out?