• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:54 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Instructor Darlavon

Started by Cheetah, August 06, 2011, 03:17:25 pm

Cheetah

August 06, 2011, 03:17:25 pm Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:19:23 pm by Cheetah
Well here is a quick concept for a pretty easy sprite for Darlavon. He is a minor character, but we have a great portrait for him so we might as well give him a sprite as well. I'm sure there are some patches that could incorporate him. I have no intention of being able to finish this on my own, especially since I finish hardly any sprites, so all help is welcome. I have already talked to Nojgaard about helping. Right now he is a combination of:

Knight Body
Weigraf Hair
Dycedarg Beard.

What do people think of the basic design and palette? I'm really happy with his head and hair color. The black gloves and boots are working decently well. In his portrait it appears he has a brown cape. It kind of looks like he has Weigraf's scarf as well, but I'm not sure how to incorporate that into a design.
Current Projects:

GeneralStrife

I really like this. I know its knight basically, but these colors are working wonders. I'm sure we can change the portrait a little to look more like the outfit if worst comes to wear.

Eternal

I'll just say this. If you finish this sprite, I will gladly put him in DD. :D
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

mav

Oh man, I love this palette. The zoomed in version looks exquisite, but the boots and pants blend in the zoomed out version. As for the sprite itself, I think it looks good; it resembles him well. Except for the eyes. McSleepy over here does not need angry eyes. I also pictured the character as less of a warrior and more of a scholar, but the execution here is great, so I don't care.

GeneralStrife

August 06, 2011, 04:29:12 pm #4 Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:53:31 pm by GeneralStrife
I thought he was a retired soldier, myself.

EDIT: Whaddaya know: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Darlavon
soldier!

Joseph Strife

I think this is pretty good, the only thing that needs some work is the eyes, maybe giving him a soft look in the eyes and not the angry one of the knight could make him even better.

Quote from: Eternal248 on August 06, 2011, 03:32:32 pm
I'll just say this. If you finish this sprite, I will gladly put him in DD. :D

That battle sounds like realy cool, but he'll need a skillset, let's see what you come up with Et, i bet it will be good.
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

Eternal

Psh, he just needs "Be Oneself" to put enemies to sleep. :P
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Cheetah

August 06, 2011, 05:37:28 pm #7 Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 05:38:44 pm by Cheetah
Thanks everyone for the comments and compliments.

@Mav: The gray above his boots is a little odd, though that is just the original Knight which has some odd color sharing choices. It should be pretty easy to just turn to a different brown shade to make it work better. Do you think the gray/white on his chest works and the navy blue?

Great advice about the eyes, I will change them. Maybe I can make his beard a bit thicker too. If this is all this guy needs, he could be done really quick. I wonder if a belt could make him look a bit thicker/fatter, and then switch out his chest plate.
Current Projects:

mav

The gray/white and navy blue combo definitely works, so keep that as is. You can experiment with changing the boot colors, but I really think you can get away with the current palette. Thickening the beard would also be a great idea.

Kagebunji

August 07, 2011, 06:37:01 am #9 Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:49:11 am by Kagebunji
Eyes, shouldn't be nice, most older sprites in FFT have this kind of eyes. Those look similiar to Orlandu, but a straight copy of Orlandu's should fix it. For the scarf, I don't advise using Wiegraf, sprite already uses the hair, so scarf would make two things. My vote is for Scholar's scarf that Jimmy made, it would look great on him. Colors on the chest and the like blend quite a bit like pointed earlier, but I am sure you can think of something here.

Oh, and other thing, his eyes currently have too much grey as evebrowse used, it should have more dark shades. Perhaps if you want to have eyebrowse visible, use Draclau.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

mav

Keep in mind that those "older sprites" also have portraits with more stern-looking eyes, like Orlandu, Gafgarion, and Goltana. Sad-eyed Simon has eyes that match his portrait.

GeneralStrife

Which I really like, cause they actually match the character. Simon knows about the church etc. It really comes together. It's the little things that Impress me.

Kagebunji

Quote from: mav on August 07, 2011, 05:06:17 pm
Keep in mind that those "older sprites" also have portraits with more stern-looking eyes, like Orlandu, Gafgarion, and Goltana. Sad-eyed Simon has eyes that match his portrait.

Yes, but giving him normal or nice eyes like mentioned earlier will make him look too generic. Just look at 40yo man or woman, those two already have other eye style.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Cheetah

I have tried a couple different eyes so far but they aren't turning out too well so far. Anyone else willing to try out some new eyes on the front diagonal frame to see what some could eye and eyebrow options would be.
Current Projects:

Lijj

Really good palette choice. I only dislike the grey inner part of the cape on the 3/4 view but that's just a little easy fix.
  • Modding version: PSX

Cheetah

August 08, 2011, 01:32:34 am #15 Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:41:50 am by Cheetah
Okay here are two new eye options. I tried regular Knight and some others, but they were too bad to even who. What I have below from left to right is:

1) Rudvich
2) 60 year old man
3) 60 year old man + Mustache
4) Dycedarg (eye from first post)

I have a few more to try, but not too many options are even kind of working.
Current Projects:

Tea

I think this one, with a less highlighted beard, looks nice. without mustache is a good second, though.

Eternal

I'm stuck between 3 and 4. The problem with 3, I think, is that the eyes are -too- solemn.

Tigerspike

I prefer 4, 3 looks a bit sad.  I know it's his mustache, but it looks kinda like a frown, so when I look at 3 I feel like he's about to cry.  I'd like to see 1 with a forward view, though.
Oh come now. That doesn't even make sense. How can flimsy paper possibly beat the raw density of stone?

Joseph Strife

i liked 3, the one with the mustache.
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...