• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Boco's Spriting Misadventure

Started by Boco, December 04, 2014, 07:05:43 pm

Boco

December 04, 2014, 07:05:43 pm Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:56:40 pm by Boco
Hey, I tried out spriting. Feel free to use whatever I post. Will update periodically with new or updated sprites.

Choto

honestly I think number 1 would make a good Dark Knight for TLW. Cept the green is a little out of place now. They look pretty good

3lric

Indeed, always a fan of frankensprites.

These are a lot better than many of them we see, and Choto is right about that first one. I can edit the palette a bit to make it more Dark Knight like, though it would still need a portrait.
  • Modding version: PSX

Choto

Also forgot to mention... I'm not sure if spr files show up when you attach them, and apparently bmp's are very big. Try to save it as a png file.

Boco

Thanks for the advice. I'll remove those attachments and repost the pngs when I get home. And Elric I would be honored if you used it, but if you want anything done to it or if you have a more specific request please let me know! I'd love to contribute and I may not be a great artist, but I had more fun doing this than anything else. I had different pallets 1 Normal, 1 Hokuten, 1 Nanten, 1 Deathcorps, 1 Lionel but I dont know if that data gets preserved in a bmp.

kyozo22

Boco, I absolutely adore these! I'm curious to see how "Jedi-Merc" Ramza would look, though, using his Ch2/3 sprite. :P

I would love, love, LOVE to use those helmeted knights if they had a portrait. They're pretty damn sweet!
  • Modding version: WotL

Boco

Okay, portraits are next on my list, and I'll see what I can do for Ramza. I'm planning on redoing it all, wasnt satisfied with some of the animations for that one.

kyozo22

Quote from: kyozo22 on December 05, 2014, 09:09:43 am
Boco, I absolutely adore these! I'm curious to see how "Jedi-Merc" Ramza would look, though, using his Ch2/3 sprite. :P

I would love, love, LOVE to use those helmeted knights if they had a portrait. They're pretty damn sweet!

Holy crap, I've totally just realised that those sounded like requests! Really wasn't meant to be, you just got my mind firing on all cylinders (for once. That's rare. :P )

3lric

Did a repalette of the first one for the DK form of Rad for TLW.

Thanks for the Frankensprite Boco, saves us quite a bit of time.

Boco

December 05, 2014, 04:40:03 pm #9 Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:28:09 pm by Boco
If you want to wait a while, I think I'll be done with the rework of that one tonight with a complete portrait, working on it now, probably 50% done. And I like doing this, so if you want anything else let me know.

I have a modified monster concept I think would be kind of cool, going to unveil it over the weekend maybe.

EDIT: Have to head to work, Male Knight is done except for portrait, working on the female version too...

Choto

Quote from: Boco on December 04, 2014, 07:05:43 pm
Hey, I have no idea what I'm doing, or why I'm doing it. I'm going to post what I did anyway.

For what it's worth, I had no prior artistic talent or experience when I started. But the longer you do it the better you get, especially with others' critiques. It's pretty enjoyable too although frustrating sometimes. Looks like you're having fun with it

Boco

I replaced all the knights. There's now a male and female helmeted knight sprite in the first post, complete with portrait, a real hackjob of one anyway. It has palettes for Unaligned, Hokuten Pride, Nanten Black Knight, Death Corps Desperado, and Lionel Guard. The animation on the female one has something strange going on in only a few frames, it might be something I will fix later.

My next project is going to work on that cloaked Ramza, and after that I would like to try and create an armored chocobo sprite.

kyozo22

Dude, that Knight looks fucking. Amazeballs!! I LOVE it!

Looking forward to more of your stuff!

3lric

These are lookin pretty awesome.

Though one thing you might want to remove is the hair poking out the left side of the females helmet (bottom left, next to the neck) since im assuming that was just missed when the helmet was moved over, but still, awesome stuff.

What happened to the Ramza ones though?

EDIT: Looking at it again, i realize this hair may not be a mistake, based on how you setup the sprite, my bad. Good work.

Boco

Quote from: Elric on December 06, 2014, 07:50:33 pm
What happened to the Ramza ones though?

I had uploaded those as .bmp and those are bigger than .png, but I had planned a rework on the cloaked Ramza anyway. I didn't really like the purple armored one haha. I'm going to get around to the cloaked/caped Ramzas over the next couple of days. I'm set to work over 50 hours this week, and it never seems like I get enough sleep lol.

Boco

December 11, 2014, 03:48:57 pm #15 Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:56:53 pm by Boco
Well, I updated the knight again. I've been ironing out all the small details, especially on the helmet. I switched up the visor to make it look less like Gafgarion's helmet and more like a medieval knight helmet, so it might look a little rough since those are details I added myself...I also redid the portrait, and while it's pretty rough too, it is (in my opinion) a lot better than the previous botched portrait. I used the lancer's helmet as a base to work off of for that.

On a different note, I was messing around trying to work on a new mime sprite as I never really understood the vanilla ones. I used the female ninja sprite as a base to work from. Yeah, I put my other ideas on hold for a while, but anyway here it is. It's meant to resemble classic mimes.

Kagebunji

Classic look in FFT is bound to stand out, heh. Nice attempt. You might wanna lighten the dark colors more, the way it is now, it will stand out in-game too much. Use some existing palettes always.

For the helm, try erasing those little horns too, will make it less Gaff, and more medieval Knight for sure.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Boco

Quote from: Kagebunji on December 11, 2014, 05:09:05 pm
Classic look in FFT is bound to stand out, heh. Nice attempt. You might wanna lighten the dark colors more, the way it is now, it will stand out in-game too much. Use some existing palettes always.

For the helm, try erasing those little horns too, will make it less Gaff, and more medieval Knight for sure.

Thanks for the advice. For palettes, do you mean complete palettes or can I pick and choose colors from various FFT sprites? Can't remember where I got all those darks from but it had to have been from various FFT sprites.

I'm doing this in GraphicsGale, just started basically. I don't know even what a Type 1 or Type 2 means. I just finished reading the spriting tutorial that was linked in a sticky thread, it was really eye-opening as far as technique goes. Hopefully I'll get better as time goes on.

Kagebunji

Yeah, practice makes perfect, that's for sure. You should see every old spriter first try, it's a mess, haha.

As for the palettes, you can pick various colors from various sprites, sure. Just make sure once you pick let's say, blues from Black mage, make sure you take all shades of blue(from brightest to darkest), not one or two. As long as you keep this rule on, it will be fine. That's why the darks on your Mime got weird most likely, since you mixed various shades from various sprites, stick to just one sprite next time.

Graphics Gale is my favorite tool, tried Photoshop once, but it ain;t just my drill. Using GG all these years and I still love it :P
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Boco

Here's a concept I have been working on for making Ladd a unique character. It's pretty much just a transplant of the Knight's head onto the Squire's body with a palette swap and a portrait. There was a remnant of the hat the old squire used to wear when looking at his back, so I tried making it look a bit more like the collar in the portrait, I'm not sure I succeeded. Feel free to use anyway you want to.