• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:24:45 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Ramza base class change

Started by Krakistophales, November 04, 2015, 07:56:45 pm

Krakistophales

Is it possible to change Ramza's squire mettle set to be named something else as well as have different abilities?

Jumza

Yes! The FFTPatcher Suite is where it's at for that!

In there you'll want to use the programs FFTPatcher and FFTacText.

Using FFTP, open up a new PSP patch file and go to the Skillsets tab. You'll notice (after looking around in it a bit) that there are 4 different Mettle skillsets. The first is Ramza ch1, the second Ramza ch2/3, the third Ramza ch4, and the last Delita ch1. Edit the skills in the first three so that Ramza has the skills you want (while keeping in mind their position on the list, otherwise it'll get messed up between chapters)!

Then, go into FFTacText, make a new patch file same as above, go to Skillset Names in the dropdown bar, there are 4 Mettle's again, same order as above. Edit to your hearts desire!

Apply the above patches and voila!
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Krakistophales

Will the PSP patch work on ppsspp? And if so, how do I do that? Sorry if this has been hashed over many times, I've been googling and searching forums for a while now and haven't seen any successful guides on how to do this.

Nyzer

Patcher and Tactext can modify your ISO directly on their own. PPSSPP has no problem running patched ISOs.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Krakistophales

And how do I modify the ISO with patcher and tactext?

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do in patcher. I'm trying to find a way to modify characters but there's no list of characters in patcher.

Nyzer

By using the drop down menus at the top of the window. Each of them has Open/Save functions; pretty standard for any program ever.

As for the edits themselves? Jumza wrote down everything you need to know about that for the Patcher. For Tactext, you can find the skillset names subsection within the Quick Edit section.

Krakistophales

I get how to start up a new patch and all that, but once the patch is done, how do I patch it onto the ISO i have for ppsspp?

Also, for tactext, do you load the ISO to edit it or something else? It seems to be asking for a .fftext or something? Where do I find that?

Nyzer

QuoteBy using the drop down menus at the top of the window.

Krakistophales

Quote from: Jumza on November 04, 2015, 08:21:20 pm
Yes! The FFTPatcher Suite is where it's at for that!

In there you'll want to use the programs FFTPatcher and FFTacText.

Using FFTP, open up a new PSP patch file and go to the Skillsets tab. You'll notice (after looking around in it a bit) that there are 4 different Mettle skillsets. The first is Ramza ch1, the second Ramza ch2/3, the third Ramza ch4, and the last Delita ch1. Edit the skills in the first three so that Ramza has the skills you want (while keeping in mind their position on the list, otherwise it'll get messed up between chapters)!

Then, go into FFTacText, make a new patch file same as above, go to Skillset Names in the dropdown bar, there are 4 Mettle's again, same order as above. Edit to your hearts desire!

Apply the above patches and voila!

Why won't it let me change the name from squire to something else?

Jumza

It's the right column's, the left column's are a reference to the original names.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Krakistophales

November 06, 2015, 03:14:56 pm #10 Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:13:56 pm by Krakistophales
It seems that you can't exceed the character length of the squire name for the battle selection menu. Is there any way around this?

Nyzer

Probably not. WotL support is an afterthought; the mods to the PSX game for the creation of the PSP version make modding the game any further exceptionally difficult.

Krakistophales

Damn. I don't understand why such a stupid little thing is such a big deal. You can modify the text of anything anywhere else but the battle screen has a width limit? Nonsense.

Is there a blank class or something I can use instead that has a really long name and therefore a nice character width?

Nyzer

November 07, 2015, 11:25:35 am #13 Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:30:38 am by nyzer
You can't just slap a Job onto a character. The character IS the Job, and this is only 100 times more true for Ramza, who changes his base Job twice times over the course of the game.

Character sprites are also tied to their Jobs, and, again - it's Ramza, so that just gets 100 times worse. In every single event in which Ramza does something that isn't a battle animation, it's actually a custom animation pasted over his sprite, so changing his sprite would cause tons of graphical glitches throughout the game unless the modder diligently tracked down every single unique animation and put in their own version.

Jobs are ALSO tied to Formation sprites, which are separate from the battle sprites (don't ask me why; in Journey of the Five, it can be used to give them unique poses for the formation, but this feature was completely unused for regular FFT), AND have severely limited space and slots compared to battle sprites.

For example: there are duplicate Celia/Lettie sprites in the game that are never used, but if you tried to take their Jobs and set them up to be party members, you'd run into the issue that there's no Formation slot tied to those Jobs.

So, short answer? You'd be far better off just picking a shorter class name. 

Edit: another option is that you can try changing the class name of "Witch of the Coven" to "Enchantress" or something, hoping that shortening the space taken by a different Job will allow you those few extra letters in Ramza's Squire Jobs. There are plenty of Jobs out there that don't really appear in the game (she only appears on the battlefield in multiplayer stuff IIRC).
Or just change Jobs like "Assassin" to synonyms with fewer letters: "Killer".

Krakistophales

November 07, 2015, 01:16:45 pm #14 Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:20:09 pm by Krakistophales
Thanks so much, nyzer, your suggestion is what did it. Seems that it's not the squire text itself that can't be exceeded, but rather an overall total of character width.

The only problem I have now is that my ppsspp stops working when an enemy crystallizes. Any known fixes for that?

Argy

Hiya mate, 

Open up your your .fftext. On the TEXT tab, scroll down to BOOT.BIN[28E5EC], then go change the top bar to 4: Battle Messeges, then scroll down to No 61 it should read 
{0xE1} disappeared, leaving{Newline}  behind a crystal. Change disappeared, leaving to .... 
and that my friend should end youor woes on the above subject. I too had the same problem like yours and this has remedies the situation.

Cheers Argy
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

theultrawolf

What he said, you have to change the text in the BOOT.bin to anything shorter than a specific length. Also, something to note - when using FFTacText to patch a WoTL iso, you may run into problems saying that the patcher can NOT patch what you were trying to patch. This is due to memory allocation errors - the best solution is to delete unused text (like the various sound book texts scattered across the ISO in Kanji) You may also want to get rid of unused names and dismiss quotes that are "......". Finally, when using a WoTL iso, only patch text after every other edit you want to implement has been patched into the ISO already, and repatch several times after the first patch is successful (I would recommend about 3 times). If you follow all these steps correctly, the only glitches that should appear are shortened "Item Found" text and Trap activation texts.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Krakistophales

November 19, 2015, 01:35:35 am #17 Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:57:56 pm by Krakistophales
Thank you all for your help and input, I finally got it to work the way I wanted it to.

Now, for another question: Is there any way to change abilities into swordskills without affecting how they operate for classes that use them? Say, you wanted to make a swordskill called "Thunder Blade" and it uses the thundaja animation with an added weapon strike feature and some whatever damage formula. Does this mean that any other class who uses it, like black mages, some bosses, etc. will have that skill screwed up with the new metrics and effects? If so, is there a way around this?

Kaijyuu

Well if you just modify bolt 3, then yes anyone who uses it will use the changed ability. If you make a new ability/modify one you're not using, then everything will be fine and won't interfere.

theultrawolf

^This. I would recommend just using one of the unused abilities (above Frog Attack) or modifying another ability if you're in WoTL. Unless your intention is to convert the Wizard into something else, that is.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL