• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:46:30 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Gambler Job Discussion Thread (Update on First Post!)

Started by LastingDawn, November 18, 2008, 11:10:37 pm

NKKCLOUD

March 16, 2009, 05:07:27 pm #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NKKCLOUD
Hey guys a little announcement I only give the ideas, I don't know if you had noticed it

LastingDawn

March 17, 2009, 02:26:42 pm #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well, the Gambler's moves have been finished for some time (see first post of the thread) I do appreciate the effort, but this job is complete and no loinger has room for new abilities. Lest they be reaction and support, but that in itself is much easier said then done.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

MiKeMiTchi

August 05, 2009, 11:33:55 am #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
First, I didn't read all other posts except the first one.
And, I also used the Mercenaries Skill quotes for my basis. Credits go to everyone.

[Suggestions and comments]
Gamblers should have:

+weak to ave. HP, average PA, MA, weak SP
+normal Move, normal Jump

Pros
+if luck is on your side, gamblers are destructive and death bringers!
+status inflictor
+GAIN MONEY

Cons
-no defensive and support skill (Roulette will be an exception)
-skills might backfire if you're unlucky!
-LOSE MONEY

Sprite Look:
~hat, preferably with dark colors, black or brown.
~black vest (buttoned), maybe same with a cowboy's, with red scarf\ribbon\tie.
~white shirt w/ sleeve
~few facial hairs? :P
// msg: Lady Luck favors the bold! Jackpot!

Tantalize
// I like the skill. Not useful at times, but interesting.
// msg: You cannot withstand my charming silhouette! Get ready to be seduced. Tantalize!

Darts
// maybe change skill name similar to Demise Darts, because of the effect. Darts would also be fine, though.
// keep this: These I kept just in case of cheaters, and my aim is just as good as my luck! Darts! :P

Roulette
// I'm not sure about the status effects, but those will do.
// msg: Spin the wheel of fate! Fast to slow, slow to fast, Round and round it goes. Roulette!

Shady Deal
// pretty unique and nifty. Great.

---
Yup. Sorry if I'm missing something I should know.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

LastingDawn

August 05, 2009, 12:09:19 pm #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "MiKeMiTchi"First, I didn't read all other posts except the first one.
And, I also used the Mercenaries Skill quotes for my basis. Credits go to everyone.

[Suggestions and comments]
Gamblers should have:

+weak to ave. HP, average PA, MA, weak SP
+normal Move, normal Jump

Currently Gambler's have a little bit better then average HP, a very shot down MP though. They have better then average speed, slightly better PA (as it is a PA based class for the most part) They have a rather poor MA multiplier, but they have 4 move and 4 jump.

QuotePros
+if luck is on your side, gamblers are destructive and death bringers!
+status inflictor
+GAIN MONEY

There is only one formula in the game to "gain money" and that's being used on the Traveler (Mage-Thief Hybrid). They are a decent status inflictor, but of course it's all left up to the RNG which of the five statuses are called. Roulette can either be devestating for you or the enemy, or both.

[/quote]Cons
-no defensive and support skill (Roulette will be an exception)
-skills might backfire if you're unlucky!
-LOSE MONEY[/quote]

The same case applies, there's no formula in the game which takes money from the player upon use. The only skills that can backfire, so to speak, is Roulette an Jackpot, Jackpot has a chance to cast Lagomorph on the enemy.

QuoteSprite Look:
~hat, preferably with dark colors, black or brown.
~black vest (buttoned), maybe same with a cowboy's, with red scarf\ribbon\tie.
~white shirt w/ sleeve
~few facial hairs? :P
// msg: Lady Luck favors the bold! Jackpot!

It does have a CT, it has 3 CT, also 2 Effect Area might be more then you think it is, currently it's Draw Out range, weapon strike, for 15 MP.

QuoteTantalize
// I like the skill. Not useful at times, but interesting.
// msg: You cannot withstand my charming silhouette! Get ready to be seduced. Tantalize!

Well the game hardly ever uses this formula, Mercenaries does make a better use of it, but not extensively. (really only... 2 moves use it, one is a Weapon Ability)

QuoteDarts
// maybe change skill name similar to Demise Darts, because of the effect. Darts would also be fine, though.
// keep this: These I kept just in case of cheaters, and my aim is just as good as my luck! Darts! :P

Yes, I prefer the simple title of Darts for this.

QuoteRoulette
// I'm not sure about the status effects, but those will do.
// msg: Spin the wheel of fate! Fast to slow, slow to fast, Round and round it goes. Roulette!

Shady Deal
// pretty unique and nifty. Great.

---
Yup. Sorry if I'm missing something I should know.

No trouble, different view points are alway looked to. If your suggestions were possible, then certainly.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

August 05, 2009, 12:34:33 pm #44 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Yes. I learned a lot from your post Sir LD!

Okay, I agree with the stats now:
QuoteCurrently Gambler's have a little bit better then average HP, a very shot down MP though. They have better then average speed, slightly better PA (as it is a PA based class for the most part) They have a rather poor MA multiplier, but they have 4 move and 4 jump.

Regarding Straight..
Opps, sorry, I thought Addle was different from silence.

hhmm.. what about changing the skill to "Four of a Kind", then removing the poison from the status effects list?
Since, four of a kind can relate to the status effects.

They are all negative effects, while 4 different effects are dealt.
Same as in cards. They are all the same number x, from 4 different suites (heart, spade,..).
What do you think about this?

--
..The Tantalize really is a unique one.
Anyway.. thanks for considering Dice Blow!

EDIT:

And..
can we make Roulette's area same\bigger as the jackpots area, instead of having it global? That way it'll be more balanced, for me, at least.

btw, I made my own concept sprites of a gambler:
(16 colors limit)

Justification:
Since gamblers use cards, darts, and a roulette,
their outfit should have a connection with them.

Suites (cards: heart and diamond, flower and spade),
darts, and roulettes are usually red and black. :)

~

LastingDawn

August 06, 2009, 12:48:51 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
A very handsome fellow, basically a 20 year old male SPR with a more carefree look upon his face. That sprite look pretty good, but those arms are not going to be fun to make... That seems the most difficult part of all of this. A global Roulette really can't be "unbalanced" It's either, Slow, Haste, or Nothing, PA +50% if a status is to hit at all. You might be confusing something... It's not Slow to Everyone, it's not Haste to everyone. It's Slow, Haste, or nothing to each individual character.

Very nice sprite start off though, a lot of symbolism thrown into this one.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

August 06, 2009, 12:53:01 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Haha. I'm just used to the Blue Mage having the Roulette skill in FFTA, but here, with a Gadgeteer twist.
Arms takes time yes, but impossible no. :)

Sir LD, any comments about my 'Straight' skill suggestion?

SilvasRuin

August 06, 2009, 01:54:46 pm #47 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Awesome sprite.  Finish it and it would be perfect for the job, in my opinion.

LastingDawn

August 06, 2009, 02:04:23 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "MiKeMiTchi"Haha. I'm just used to the Blue Mage having the Roulette skill in FFTA, but here, with a Gadgeteer twist.
Arms takes time yes, but impossible no. :)

Sir LD, any comments about my 'Straight' skill suggestion?

I recall there was a reason we originally chose for it to have five statuses.... I can't recall what the reason was, can anyone else here recall why we chose five statuses instead of four?

Art of War

Dormin Jake

August 06, 2009, 02:48:26 pm #49 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
A straight uses five cards.  One status per card.  One status per suite seems a bit more abstract.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

LastingDawn

August 07, 2009, 12:08:07 am #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "Voldemort"AWESOME male gambler sprite, I love progress so far

Gambler's skills are nice to use, but I suggest increasing the possible benefit of RNG based skills

Dart is very balanced and useful

Roulette could also use some tweaking

good class

As you are the only one to have really used the class thus far (thank you for taking your time and going back to play that save, after you made the video), you would be best to give suggestions to it. What do you have in mind for the RNG Based skills? Also what are your thoughts for Roulette?

Quote from: "MiKeMiTchi"Thanks for editing the portrait mav!
It looks better. :)

QuoteGambler's skills are nice to use, but I suggest increasing the possible benefit of RNG based skills

Do the weapons (decks?) equipped by the gambler,.. range types?

Very nice! Glad to see you've made some progress on the sprite! Also that's not a poor job at all, the eyebrows are perfect, and the shifty smile just cements him as a guy you wouldn't trust. Darts, as it stands would be too powerful with Poison. They can hit up to 10 times, for low amounts of damage each time, no doubt the Poison would hit every single time .

Not sure.... what do you mean by range types?

Art of War

Skip Sandwich

August 07, 2009, 12:23:41 am #51 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
I think he's asking if the decks are ranged weapons, which they are not, they are 2-panel melee weapons, like spears, since they're based on the old dancer's silks
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

LastingDawn

August 07, 2009, 01:19:18 am #52 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Problem is that would clash with the "you or me!" mentality of Coin Toss and Dice Blow, it would make the move unweildy and probably not too usable in its final execution.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

August 07, 2009, 01:25:25 am #53 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Sure. Agreed. It'll make the Gambler job more risky.

Question here!
When you get a "5 or 6" if Dice Blow was used,
Is it powerful than Coin Toss?

LastingDawn

August 07, 2009, 01:28:54 am #54 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Oh, very. Coin Toss, is a relatively "play it safe" move, but it has higher vertical then Dice Blow, so it's a bit more usable in all situations while Dice Blow is a risky move, even if you kill the enemy with it, there's a chance the remaining blows may fall on you.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

August 07, 2009, 01:37:41 am #55 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
I see! Now I understand!
Nicely done.

MADE the female gambler sprite concept:

LastingDawn

August 09, 2009, 10:54:23 am #56 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm, that is definitely interesting, it looks Very old fashioned, that's definitely a point of interest... She looks pretty good, it'll probably be her portrait which gives her most of her character as it stands.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

August 09, 2009, 11:03:01 am #57 Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:47:40 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Yeah. The portrait! That's where I'll fall apart. hehe..

-
Btw, can we also hack the Support and Reaction abilities? and using the given Formulas?

mav

August 09, 2009, 01:09:33 pm #58 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Wow, that's a really cute sprite. I fucking love the color scheme. Though, in retrospect, I think we'll need to dull down the shade of red in the portrait (of the male Gambler)--since that's what we usually saw in the original game.

Archael

August 09, 2009, 01:15:10 pm #59 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
im so glad to see ppl finally interested in sprites for these jobs