• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:41:58 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Made a Real-Time FFT with online multiplayer - Battle is Key!

Started by CenobiumSoftware, February 21, 2017, 11:08:25 am

CenobiumSoftware

February 21, 2017, 11:08:25 am Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:31:41 am by CenobiumSoftware

Email us  at : cenobiumsoftware@gmail.com

We've been GreenLit!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=808104405

https://www.patreon.com/Cenobium

Battle is Key is an SRPG in the same vein as TAO, Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics with
a real time element. It comes with 2 modes Online versus(currently available) and story mode(wip). There is no random-chance in BiK - attacks don't miss... Unless you dodge! Games that would normally take hours can be finished in a matter of minutes!
The story mode will have similar gameplay with the additional skill tree and traditional RPG exploration. There will be no random battles as the enemies will appear on the map and engage you exactly where you were. At that point, the movement will become similar to the online battle component of the game. Online mode is finished , minus the assets , so we are running the Betas via Steam right now. Send us an email for the chance to join or you can become a patron an get a Key immediately. Don't wait... Battle is Key.

Video of a match in Beta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV9N32bv29I

The 18 units so far:

Red(Mime) and Blue(Trapper) will be replaced with real models later and are just for beta testing purposes.

Current art direction(replacing all beta footage):

/*02-25-17
The Mime and Trapper models have been replaced.
2 more units!20 Units total! Bear in mind that these classes are for the Online versus mode only:

Ogre (200 hp)- High Poison Damage and can Auto-Track enemies and chase them down.
Can find Enemies in Grass. Eats grass for HP. Has a Gore attack that pushes. Extremely weak to fire. Both of his abilities allow diagonal movement.

BomberMan(100) - A unit that slowly loses hp over time and then explodes for massive damage upon death.
*/
/*02-11-17
Explanation for Crystal Mode:

Crystal Mode adds the Extra Objective of Protecting a Special Unit 'Crystal'
from being Destroyed. The Crystal regens HP over time so if you escape being destroyed there is a chance to come back! The Crystal is also invisible in Grass. It can move Diagonally and Juking allows it to move 2 tiles at once.
It has no attacks. In Timed Mode with Crystal, Points are only rewarded for hitting the Crystal.

To spawn a Crystal in Crystal Mode, Hold the '/' key and press any letter like you would a normal unit.
*/
/* 02-09-17
WIP - Lightning and Barrier Wards.
Spearman Model.
*/
/* 02-08-17
Hammer Knight - High damage while HP is near max.
MoveSet
Smash - 50 damage that causes quakes that push Units away.
Stir-left & Stir-Right - The 3 tile in front recieve damage that also 'drags' units hit and gives Confused ailment.
Spin2Win - Spins and attack all surrounding units. Then You become Confused.

Spearman - High Crit rate but poor damage if the tip of the spear doesn't hit the opponent.
Flurry - Attack 4 times in a row for high scaling Damage.
Poke - Just pokes once.... yup
Swipe - Cut 3x2 in front for poison damage. Then unit takes a step back.
Slam- Hit in front for Paralyze damage. Then unit takes a step back.

Trapper - This unit sets Traps on the map that disrupt formations.Traps are invisible until triggered
MoveSet
ChopnPush - Hits a Unit and pushes it. Paralyzes if it hits a Unit from Behind.
NeedleTrap - Sets a D.O.T. needle trap.
Cutter - A spinning blade that pushes away and damages nearby units.
Bomb - An explosion that also lingers Burn Damage.

Mime - Like Final Fantasy Tactics, this unit will copy any Other allied units action on the map for free. It comes with 4 filters.
All - He will copy any unit anywhere.
3x3 - He will copy units around him.
3x2F - he will copy units in front
2x1 - He will copy 2 units behind him.
*/
No subscriptions.
All units are available to anyone.
Ranked matches , Online mode and etc already built.
Over 3 different Game modes.
AI vs on the way. Tutorials 1/3 way finished.
Polls for new units and map for frequent Updates.

And most importantly - The game , though grid-based , is REAL-TIME!

You can turn , walk , push , and attack multiple Units/Classes at any given time!

I hope this didn't come off as spam - FFT and Tactics Arena Online were my first SRPG's and I've always wanted to make one of my one and see a meta develop.
If anyone is interested, I will show videos of the units and their move-sets.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

HowDoGameDev

I would scale your images down quite a bit as they're gigantic and do not display well.
[img width=640]blahblah.png[/img]

How's the AI skill wise? What methods did you use for it?

CenobiumSoftware

I don't see an option to edit posts - mind instructing me how?
EDIT - the option got pushed to the far right by the images. It's fixed now, Thanks.

The AI is for training mode and story mode only and uses quite a few neural network implementations. It can learn and get harder
naturally based on the user. It's very advanced so any specifics, will probably have to be run by the AI programmer.

Right now the AI can:
Dodge, Swarm, Sub-Team Creation,Pushing, Healing, Fleeing, In-Fighting, Pushing, Set Traps, Combo, Lure/Kiting, Stealth/Invisibility flags,etc.
I can ask him for a list.

The online versus mode is currently operational with 18 playable units. 2 More will be released by the end of the week.
BomberMan - a unit that detonates for massive damage when his 'fuse' goes out or his hp drops below 1.
Golem - can spawn mini hands that auto attacks nearby enemies. It can also spawn blocks and punch through them.(think sand man from Megaman Battle Network) .
That's essentially what Battle is Key is: Final Fantasy Tactics meets Megaman Battle Network. A real-Time SRPG.

The entire engine is done so all that's left is graphical updates and polish.
I can even make the engine do Turn-Based SRPG's and JRPG's too. It's all complete with a custom editor I've made in Unity3d.

CenobiumSoftware

Golem will be in this Sunday(5th)! Also the VectoreMage will be in the next build. Golem gets a Punch the causes chain damage if it hit adjacent units.
Vector mage can set arrow sigils that redirect unit positions.

The pictures above will be updated. There are now 22 Units.

CenobiumSoftware

Golem and Vector Mage are in for a total of 22 Units. We are working on a new Camera system right now and have a tournament in the works. Anyone with a build should receive an update shortly.