• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Chess?

Started by Mograine_D, February 18, 2016, 06:02:43 am

Mograine_D

It might be a terrible idea because FFT is already a form of advanced chess.. but was just thinking the other day.. maybe a chess version could be cool.. squires for pawns.. idk haven't put a TON of thought into it but I thought it could be cool, just thinking out loud here
  • Modding version: PSX
Chuuuuurrrrge!!

Angel

Erm... I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but you're putting this in New Project Ideas, which means you think we need to use FFT as a base. "How come Samus never made it into Mario Kart? I know! Let's make a hack of Super Metroid that adds her to Mario Kart!" You need to be modifying a different game entirely, here. FFT is not the game you need to start with for this to work.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Xifanie

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Mograine_D

@ toshiko
Well you could use FFT, if you think about it.. you could use the tutorial map as the board for example.. put squires for pawns give everyone 1hp and 1 move depending on the piece.. I know knights move L shaped.. and bishops are diagonal and thatd be just a total bitch to workout so u could just make them ranged or something with 1 - 3 attack square range.. that sort of thing... you could even make it your own way.. add a couple spells like a light vs dark thing.. kings could get haste and protection buff for units within X amount of range.. make it more interesting or just make it totally generic and basic, 1 hp per unit and diff movement things based on the orig pieces for chess.. was just throwing an idea out there

its like I said in my orig post, was just thinking out loud is all.. unless that sort of thing isn't encouraged here
Chuuuuurrrrge!!

Tornado Jack

I think its a great idea!

Except FFT istn exactlychess. it's about as close to chess as monopoly is.

chess: 32 units
FFT: 16 units MAX
Houston we have a problem

FFT uses clocktiks while chess uses player turn, and only one unit at a time.
FFT does have a 10x10 flat map at least (even though 8x8 would be required).
Chess has unit that can only attack diagonally; tat targeting system does not exist at all in FFT.
pawns can only move forwrd... i think I made my point.

You can feel free to think out loud, but that doesnt mean you had a good idea, or that we should be like "OMG, Mograine_D had an idea! EVERYONE PRAISE MOGRAINE_D!!!".

Angel

There's nothing wrong with thinking out loud, and neither innovation nor ambition is discouraged (if anything, please dear god innovate), but if your idea is either unfeasible or absurd, we will tell you so.

It's utterly absurd to make a chess mod of FFT. That would be like looking at an office building and thinking you can turn it into an amphibious supersonic jet. At some point you really need to ask yourself, "can I start with better materials than these?" Because right now, you have VRAM working against you, RAM allocation working against you, the very base battle system working against you, movement restrictions to be created and assigned per job... This is one of those ideas that isn't bad as its own thing, but as an idea for modding FFT is terrible. Just make a new game from scratch and save yourself a lifetime of logistics issues and stress.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Mograine_D

Yes I see your point on a lot of it.. generally speaking it didt need to be an EXACT copy of chess.. it could be done a thousand different ways, don't need to take everything so literal.. I'm sorry you don't like the idea.. I was thinking of the WoW chess game you play in this one dugeon or raid cant remember which one it was.. anyway it was a lot of fun the way that they put that together.. yes I realize that its TOTALLY different, just brought it up cause I thought it could be cool to have a FFT chess variation.. ill bounce some more ideas about something else later I guess thanks for the feedback..
Chuuuuurrrrge!!

3lric

You actually did literally want say chess, and tried to give examples of what sprites would work, she only took it literally because chess is literal. You'd do better by just modding a chess game to have FFT sprites...

Xifanie

Quote from: Elric on February 24, 2016, 12:45:44 pm
You actually did literally want say chess, and tried to give examples of what sprites would work, she only took it literally because chess is literal. You'd do better by just modding a chess game to have FFT sprites...

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

KingUrameshi

I want those cards, I'm going to look for them on Amazon right now. I don't care what I have to spend just take my money please.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.