• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:32:41 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFT: A Stone's Ripple *DEMO RELEASED*

Started by Jumza, March 17, 2015, 11:30:53 pm

Jumza

March 17, 2015, 11:30:53 pm Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:32:49 pm by Jumza
A Stone's Ripple

The name, like this project, is a work in progress.
Final Fantasy Tactics: A Stone's Ripple is a project made by myself that will change just about everything from the original. Story, Jobs, World Map, Items, it's all getting redone!

Story Synopsis:
In this re-imagining of Ivalice, the Holy Stone's existence is common knowledge. They are powerful magic items that are used by the church to keep many towns and cities across the country safe from monsters and disease. The "Church" as it will be referred to for the entirety of the game rules the land. There is no king, just a Pope who leads Ivalice along it's religious path.

Zoom in on Zarghidas, where the story begins. Ten years before the main events of the game take place, the Elder of Zarghidas is strong-armed into giving the stone back to the Church for unknown reasons. The city falls into a state of disrepair and dilapidation, it is constantly swarmed by monsters and the once thriving city becomes a large slum. Fast forward to present time, a young man (the main character) is on patrol when he runs into a newly appointed Church Surveyor. Unaware until recently that the stone had been taken, she goes to investigate. The game kicks off from this point.

The World Map:

An entirely new, custom World Map! See Zarghidas? That's not where it normally is! *Gasp*
That's the new World Map as you see it coming out of the beginning series of events / battles. It will expand as the story continues! Just like in vanilla.

The Main Character:

Yeah, I'm forcing the user to input their own name. The Main Character has no default name (and a blank name does not bug the game out!). He is yours to name as you please!
Here's a quick look at the chapter 1 sprite:

It's recoloured Ramza! (For now!)

First look at Adria Wite (ay ey-dree-ah why-t, is how I imagined it to be pronounced); The Church Surveyor.

Name: Adria Wite
Birthday: October 31st (Scorpio)
Relations: Cardinal Augustine (whom she works under in the church), The Main Character (with whom she has a chance meeting with in the slums of his home), Other (this is only a summary).
Job Name: Surveyor
Skillset Summary:

First Aid: A short range, weak, fast healing spell with a low mp cost.
Clear: A short range esuna-like skill with a low mp cost.
Saber: A mid range attacking spell with a low mp cost. Lightning elemental.
Charge: A short range MP restoring ability with a lowish mp cost. She cannot target herself.

(R/S/M undecided as of yet)

Overall Summary:

Adria joins at the beginning of the game as a priest with a very small bag of tricks. Her jobs has slightly less than ok HP, MP, speed, PA and MA, but this is only due to her multipliers. She has normal growths that allow her to master her job's abilities then switch without damaging her future stats.

While it may seem that she is not the best unit due to her small ability pool and low stats, events will transpire in game causing her to undergo major changes in these departments. She starts as a weaker guest, but will eventually become a strong ally.

New Jobs:
This is still being worked on!
This will be updated as it get's worked on and discussed in this topic.

The first look at: The Freelancer

Requirements: None, 0, zip, nadda. It's the base job.

Skillset Summary:

Throw Stone: Like vanilla Throw Stone, but with a spell quote and 100% knockback (perfect for knocking people off of cliffs!).
Heal: 1 range 2 vertical, 100% to revive a dead unit with 2% of targets max HP.
Treat: 1 range 3 vertical, can only be used on units in critical, heals 33% of targets max HP.
Focus: Self range, heals users MP based on their MA. No MP or CT to worry about.

Reactions: None as of now, counter tackle is gone!

Support: Gained EXP-Up, Defend, Equip Change

Movement: Move +1

Chemist has been renamed to Apothecary, though their jobs will remain largely the same. A few items will have slightly changed effects, their stats will be slightly tweaked, but I doubt they will have any major changes.

New Items:
Also still being worked on!
This will be updated as it get's worked on and discussed in this topic.

New Sidequests and Secret Characters:
I am using 'The Lion War' 's method for increasing the games event space which opens up the possibility for a buttload of sidequests. I plan on making use of a lot of it. There will certainly be a lot more than there were in vanilla!

Other Information~
This patch is being worked on only by yours truly, and I mostly intend for it to stay that way. I am not the best at working with other people and trying to work around schedules and sudden life events. I intend to recruit people for random ASM hacks that I'd like / need and for sprites in the future, but for now I'll be flying solo.

At the beginning of this project, I will be using the sprites that I have access to. Sprites off the site, recolours and frankensprites will feature. Hopefully I can enlist someone in the future to get some cool new sprites for the project.

Of course I couldn't have started this or done any work on it at all without everyone's hard work getting stuff done on the forums. For all the tools, spreadsheets, guides and people that I've helped (and people that have helped me) which reminded of so many things that I would have otherwise forgotten; I'd like to thank every member of FFH.

Special Thanks:
To Xifanie, Elric and Angel (Toshiko). You guys are awesome and all deserve happy carefree lives (Congratulations to Xifanie and Angel (Toshiko) as well!)
So many more people deserve thanks, but this is only the start of the project! I'll get around to properly doling out thanks once more stuff has been said and done.

DEMO?
Not yet! Screw that! It's here! Woohoo! Check below for the download link!

The Demo:
Contains 20 events, spread between just events and pre / mid / post battle events.
The jobs Freelancer, Apothecary, Fencer, Priest and Wizard. (For generics)
The jobs Vagrant and Surveyor. (For unique characters)
New items! Featuring such items as Bronze Sword, Feathered Cap and Basic Harp!
2 Possible random battles! ( :P)
A mini-boss battle!

Updates:
I'm going to try to update as much as I can! Stay tuned!

01/11/2015: The Beta / Demo download link has been released! A Stone's Ripple v0.05 released!

08/11/2015: Released v0.06, text and some item fixes.

This = Something Fantastic.

(Let's hope and pray to Ajora that this ppf was made and uploaded properly)
(YOU NEED TO BE LOGGED INTO THE SITE TO SEE THE DOWNLOAD! (Apparently!))
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

skiploom188

Wow this is like the second patch I've seen where your starting point will be different. You're changing the locations of the cities/castles? Hmmm, that's a change you don't see very often. Wait you can leave your main character's name blank? LOL imagine how that would affect the lines people say when they mention you. I'm curious with all the new stuff this patch has to offer.

Hoping for the demo soon, Keep it up!

Congrats on your post count milestone Btw :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
======================================================================
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542

Elric

March 18, 2015, 05:25:38 am #2 Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:41:34 am by Elric
You've got my support Jumza, whatever that is worth.

Also, you might be better off posting a couple event videos. I know you've got some hidden there somewhere. I can give you some critic on them and such as well. And if you are really nice, I might make 1 or 2 for you as well ;)

kyozo22

Yeah man, this sounds awesome! Best of luck! Sounds like one hell of an undertaking. Looking forward to seeing it come to fruition. :D
  • Modding version: WotL

Argy

Jumza, good  luck with your project. The premise looks great and the fact the you have the knowledge to change the World Map and the ability to Event Edit, holds you in good steam. I look forward to this project evolving
All the best
Argy
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

Angel

While I feel confused about moving existing locations on the world map, I feel enthused about everything else. And all that event space, yowza! :O

Gimme more~
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Jumza

March 18, 2015, 04:46:40 pm #6 Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:01:27 pm by Jumza
Thanks for the comments and support everyone!

Quote from: Elric on March 18, 2015, 05:25:38 am
Also, you might be better off posting a couple event videos. I know you've got some hidden there somewhere.

I do, and here is one of them!

(That priest sprite is a placeholder. Before the demo is released she'll look different)
I welcome any and all critiques.

Some noted by myself that have been fixed since I took the video:
The priest should turn around more quickly at the start (when facing the monster),
The priest should rotate then get up. Otherwise it looks kind of weird.

As you can see, you start the game with only 3 generics. The Soldiers Office is still available (hopefully with Xifanie's Soldier Office hack) if you wanted 2 female generics instead of 2 males, or you can just hire more to switch around while going through the game. Eventually you will be allowed to include more units in battle, but like in Vanilla chapter 1, it will be slightly restricted at the beginning.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Pride

Ohhhh... Good luck sir! Hope to see some more events and game play detail soonish ^_^
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Elric

I like the event. The wind sound is really spot on with the map and it feels right.

My only real issue is that the sound changing/music starting seems off. I'm not sure why, but it just seems a bit forced or rushed. Though I don't really know a good way to combat that.

I also really like the jump back. And (what I'm assuming is meant to be) the Minotaur laughing afterward, though you may wanna cut the laughing down a few seconds, it did seem a bit long. (Maybe put the animation in a block and give it a Wait(00040) and then go back to the idle animation.)

Also, I don't really think {Ramza} needs to do the charging animation when speaking to the priest, however that's just personal preference.

There isn't much else to comment on since it's a shorter event, but good job so far. Glad to see you putting out work of this quality.

Jumza

Quote from: Elric on March 19, 2015, 08:50:33 pm
My only real issue is that the sound changing/music starting seems off. I'm not sure why, but it just seems a bit forced or rushed. Though I don't really know a good way to combat that.

I'm with you on that. BGSounds are interesting :P Hard to know when to stop it and make the music start.

I also really like the jump back. And (what I'm assuming is meant to be) the Minotaur laughing afterward, though you may wanna cut the laughing down a few seconds, it did seem a bit long. (Maybe put the animation in a block and give it a Wait(00040) and then go back to the idle animation.)

I thought you would, haha. If you want to get technical I think that's actually the 'getting healed' animation, though I thought it worked for that spot (laughs, roars, growls, whatever the player interprets it to be).

Also, I don't really think {Ramza} needs to do the charging animation when speaking to the priest, however that's just personal preference.

I agree. It's been cut.

Thanks guys! More progress soon!

Hyraldelita

looks cool^^ i really wish i get some free time as soon as possible so i can start doing something about this, i'm gonna be a crazy mad Thackics person =O

Good luck man i know it takes a lot of time to make it^^

Jumza

March 20, 2015, 10:04:51 pm #11 Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:21:48 pm by Jumza
Quote from: Hyraldelita on March 20, 2015, 07:55:48 pm
i'm gonna be a crazy mad Thackics person =O

Good luck man i know it takes a lot of time to make it^^

Thanks! I hope that you will be, we could use more crazy hacking people around here.

Quote from: Pride on March 19, 2015, 03:29:29 pm
Hope to see some more events and game play detail soonish ^_^

Speaking of game play details, I have a few to share that I might as well do right now :P

1. Xifanie's amazing Soldier Office Upgrade Hack will be included! *Fanfare*

2. Xifanie's amazing Synthesis Shop Hack will be included! *Fanfare* It will be more in the style of a secret shop that I'm thinking will be available in only 2 locations (this has yet to be set in stone. Though the presence of this hack is for sure). Opening it will require you to do some sort of sidequest and it will house not only cool synth / fur shop features, but also many secret items within the game.

3. Random battles! Using Xifanie's amazing Random Battle editing spreadsheet I can change quite a few things about Random battles! Green dots will now have different maps than they had in vanilla! Maps that came and went quickly in vanilla may feature in some new random battle spots in FFT: A Stone's Ripple. This means that every random battle will be changed from vanilla (If not a new map, then new enemy formations and such)!

All 3 of these new game features are all thanks to Xifanie and her lovely work. Go thank her, worship her, etc.

skiploom188

WOW! The soldier office hack and synthesis shop? YESSS!

So, do you have a music planned for the synthesis shop? Since it's a new place, it has to have its own tune right? I have some songs that maybe you could try if you would allow me :))))
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542

Jumza

Quote from: skiploom188 on March 20, 2015, 10:50:26 pm
So, do you have a music planned for the synthesis shop? Since it's a new place, it has to have its own tune right? I have some songs that maybe you could try if you would allow me :))))

Since Pokeytax has made it so we can import our own music, I'd love to have some new stuff! Absolutely!

skiploom188

Thanks for the consideration!  :mrgreen:

It's an OST from Element Hunters, an anime series. There was one particular soundtrack there that kinda sounded like FFT. Let me know what you think.

Here it is...

Jumza

Cool song :o
Though I have been (rather quickly) informed that using Pokeytax' spreadsheet is not as easy as anyone would like it to be, so doing songs right now might be still a little out of my reach.

skiploom188

Yeah I heard that modding songs to FFT is a tough job. And right now the main focus should be events/items/jobs/a lot! I guess it can be worked on when mostly everything's patched up. At least I got to share it with someone.

Jumza

March 21, 2015, 05:54:42 pm #17 Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:02:15 pm by Jumza
A new video has appeared! Again, crits are welcome!

Boyle is a member of a gang of thieves you will run into repeatedly throughout the game. Go and kick his butt!
This is also the first assassination mission of the game.
Also the BONUS bin has not been edited yet. Hence the 'Defeat Algus'

The two female villagers seem to go up slightly when they walk off the map. I don't know why and I can't seem to fix it.
I might change the music.

I'm going to start updating the OP along with my other update posts as well now. Try and keep things organized :P

Hyraldelita

i loved it XD specially when Test said "if you think you can handle more then 2 girls" ahhahahaha LOL poor guy  owned before the fight start.
don't pay attention to the 2 girl running, it's very a minor detail , i didn't even noticed even if i knew it.

IF it's possible to add it in the event it would be cool if the priestess actually used resurrection on the girl on the ground and then they flee , i think it would be even more cool! but that is just my opinion

Jumza

Quote from: Hyraldelita on March 21, 2015, 07:44:30 pm
don't pay attention to the 2 girl running, it's very a minor detail , i didn't even noticed even if i knew it.

I have to pay attention to minor details like that otherwise it wouldn't end up as good as I'd like it to be :) (Also it's kind of hard to see in the video. My video's always turn out poor quality -_-)

Quote from: Hyraldelita on March 21, 2015, 07:44:30 pm
IF it's possible to add it in the event it would be cool if the priestess actually used resurrection on the girl on the ground and then they flee , i think it would be even more cool! but that is just my opinion

While it is definitely possible, I wanted it to seem like she had been knocked out rather than killed. That's why a) The wizard stealing things next to her backs up in surprise when she wakes up and b) she can get up just from her friend helping her.

Thanks for the feedback!