• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:57 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Idea : Side-Stories

Started by Lyans, September 22, 2014, 07:58:55 pm

Lyans

Hello All,

I'm new here, but been aware of this community since a few years.
I have some experience in coding/hacking and I'm looking forward to discover FFT codes.

So here the idea :

To create side-stories of the current FFT (PSX) occuring before, during and after the game timeline.

The Master Plan :

#1 Setup a basic game image : same stuff as original except new game starts right on world map.
#2 Need to block portion of the world map and set position.
#3 Need to declare a event upon moving on world map.
#4 Need to edit caracters on event/fight.
#5 Need to edit dialogue and positions in the event/fight.
#6 Change winning condition to the fight.
#7 Will like to add like 3-4 events/fights (orange dot-like) than original credits after the last fight.

Note : Battle Mechanics remains the original's. :(

I've started reading guides/tutorials here, but can someone pinpoint or give insight to help me start things here.

:) Thank you very much!

3lric

September 25, 2014, 10:11:58 pm #1 Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:46:28 pm by Elric
Im not sure I understand, are you wanting to make a iso with just 3 or 4 battles and then
it ends?
  • Modding version: PSX

Lyans

September 29, 2014, 04:16:56 pm #2 Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:19:29 pm by Lyans
Exactly!

Just a couple of fights/scenes and end of the side story.
A different image for a different story.

Lyans

Adding up. Anyone knows about removing the intro (all the way to the world map) from the "New Game" command?

3lric

different ways, I dunno bout the intro/name selection, I'm sure that would require ASM
but the events themselves you would need to edit the events and attack.out. Set a dummy event with no script,
just the offset and a EventEnd() and set the attack.out for that event to jump to worldmap. There you can either
edit the worldmap spreadsheet to open dots and lines as you get to the map. Or if you want, you can set these via
event and have them already opened by the time you get there (can set them in the dummy event even)

Lyans

Woah! Thanks a lot really helping.

Anyway, I can live with the Intro + Name Selection.
Do you consider the video/cutscene (chocobo riders) part of the event I could edit?

I've got some free time in the next days.
So I will try some more.

3lric

October 12, 2014, 05:37:57 pm #6 Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:51:10 pm by Elric
Well, the videos are not event related (minus the end game video, which triggers after the final cutscene, though
that's not really event related as much as it is something that is triggered when that specific event slot is the last
slot used in a sequence of events, sequence being setup + event or setup + battle + victory)

However, Xifanie did make a .ppf to remove the videos for Jot5, but i cannot say what else may be in that PPF,
or if it was literally only to remove the videos, as it was made during the middle of Ch1 production so I can't
actually recall.

I'll see what I can find out.

Xifanie

Pretty sure that would be it.
I don't know what does what, so you'd have to experiment.

This will prevent other videos from playing after the intro video, replace the main video with the jobs showoff video, disable the new game video, and maybe other things.

<Patch name="Video Hack">
<Location file="OPEN_OPEN_BIN" offset="3084">00000000</Location>
<Location file="OPEN_OPEN_BIN" offset="3CAC">00000234</Location>
<Location file="OPEN_OPEN_BIN" offset="2E74">0200</Location>
<Location file="OPEN_OPEN_BIN" offset="2E80">C06E</Location>
<Location file="OPEN_OPEN_BIN" offset="2E84">9186</Location>
<Location file="OPEN_OPEN_BIN" offset="2E90">0000</Location>
</Patch>
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Lyans

Once again, thank you very much for your kind help.
I will check this out for sure.

I will be in touch!

Lyans

October 17, 2014, 09:54:31 pm #9 Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 04:49:57 pm by Lyans
I do understand I need to do XML file with it. But have not yet found the place to import it.
Do I just swamp it with CDMage?

EDIT : Blank event work just fine. :)

Angel

You need FFTOrgASM. Drop it in an appropriately named XML file in the OrgASM directory, and it'll show up in the list of hacks you can add.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Lyans

October 17, 2014, 10:39:19 pm #11 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:29:29 pm by Lyans
Ok! Finally found it with the patcher folder.
Thanks for you kind help.

I think I have settle something good for a first scenario.

Great community guys, I enjoy this! :)

PS: Blank event work just fine! :)

Angel

* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Lyans

So, up to now the video hacks works great. Thank you very much!
First script is going well too.

But I've not been able to bypass Arazlam intro...
Thinking of it, will it be easier to edit the intro with my own script or skip that part with some other process?

I've stumble across an old post using photoshop to modify pictures behing this king of animation.
Is this the process I'm looking for??

3lric

Yes, the Alazlam dialogue is actually several images, rather than any kind of typed in dialogue

Lyans

As a beginner, is it easier to edit the intro or find another way to bypass it?

3lric

Well, since a way to bypass it does not yet exist, I'm gonna say that it would be easier to just edit it.

Use the tutorial that Mucus made. "what to do about Alazlams speech" or something like that.

Lyans

Fine, I'm going on for this!
Thanks for thinking this out with me!

Xifanie

I'm not quite sure how necessary that is... you can just skip Alazlam's text by pressing start.

Now skipping naming Ramza and his bday sounds quite more tedious... and then again it's just a few buttons, I mean: start, circle, circle, circle... I'm not quite sure what warrants a hack here.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Lyans

Not THAT necessary, indeed.
But I was looking for a way to present context at the beginning of the story anyway.
I was open to many possibilities, but know that could be 2 birds, 1 stone.

I was thinking, as a player in a first playtrought, I'm carefully reading and viewing everything.
So, I saw this as an interesting option.

Is your point ; the result not worth the time, because most of the players, this will skip the intro?

Thanks for reading by the way.