• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 10:24:03 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT: Fill the gap

Started by Dome, July 15, 2012, 12:17:53 pm

Dome

What would you guys think about a small patch that shows what happens between chapter 1-2?
What happens after Ramza survives the explosion and how he meets Rad & Gaffy?
No big edits to the jobs/Skills, just some pre-set fight and some event
Maybe it could be played from another character's perspective, like Gaffy or Rad...

Would you like to see/play it?
Y/N

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Joseph Strife

Mercenaries were supposed to be something similar to this no?
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

Dome

July 15, 2012, 05:34:25 pm #2 Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:53:49 pm by Dome
Yes, but also wanted to change a lot of stuff (Jobs, skills, story)
What I'm proposing here is just something that...fills the gap between Ch1 and 2
A very simple, small patch

Joseph Strife

Oh, i see, well, might be fun if just balance the game and come up with a good story, i would play.
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

Neophyte Ronin

You mean retool the Plus release to accommodate a soiree that takes place between Chapters 1 and 2?  I'm game.  I'm guessing you'll either have Ramza and Rad, led by a playable Gafgarion, or Delita first associating with both Zeltennia's leaders and the Church's?

Dome

Aww, you busted me...guess I can't hide my ideas too well after all xD
Yes, since there are many free slots to make new events, my idea was to add some custom event that "explored" the blurry parts of the story (Like what happens between ch1 and 2, implement the fights with Delita from the PSP version, the rematch with Algus maybe, etc etc...)

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Dome on July 16, 2012, 03:48:00 amYes, since there are many free slots to make new events

There's SOME space, but you won't get a Chapter's worth of events (which is basically what you'd need to make this idea not suck) unless you maul the Tutorial and a number of other things.  Luckily, the "other things" are unimportant and will mostly just lead to your TEST.EVT looking kinda derpy, but it'll squeeze a small handful of events out.

Dome

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on July 16, 2012, 03:50:07 am
...unless you maul the Tutorial...

Pretty much what I wanted to do XD

skiploom188

I'd like to have a go in this patch. Just make sure PSXfin reads it well. hehe
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
======================================================================
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542

Dome

ePSXe > Every other emulator

skiploom188

ePSXe = Always laggy to me
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542

Dome

Quote from: skiploom188 on July 16, 2012, 10:58:24 am
ePSXe = Always laggy to me

Why? Too much Ram required to run it?

Cheetah

This is basically Mercenaries, but that patch was so popular because it was a great idea and it is dead so it is fine to base a new patch off the same idea. But this would not be a "small patch". Anything with new story, events, and such gets very very big very quickly.
Current Projects:

Dome

Big projects almost never see the light of the day, better think small, sadly :-(

skiploom188

Quote from: Dome on July 16, 2012, 11:01:49 am
Why? Too much Ram required to run it?

Pentium 4. So yeah, sorry. It's more of my problem. Maybe I won't be able to play it when it's done. (I said maybe)

RavenOfRazgriz

ePSXe also sucks because it doesn't accurately emulate a PSX.  The reasons some patches ONLY work on ePSXe is because its "better" than a PS1.  If your patch ONLY runs on ePSXe, it was probably put together with shoddy and buggy ASM you're better off fixing or not using anyway.

The Damned

(*notes this about ePSXe*)

As for the patch itself, a mini-Mercenaries would be most welcome, especially since it would be a lot more feasible than most patches currently in the works, including my own.

Of course, after that obvious fact is dealt with, there are still questions that would arise that your initial post doesn't hint at one way or the other:

1. Would this game otherwise be based on vanilla mechanics & classes? Plus mechanics & classes? Mechanics & classes made up solely for Chapter 1.5?

2. Given the three party nature of Mercenaries, which it has already been compared to a couple of times, how are you planning on handling the party system and generics? Will there be any generics (despite the fact that Gafgarion canonically had other men and possibly women)?

3. Similarly, how are you planning on handling the job wheel, especially given Gafgarion is a special class (Dark Knight)? If Rod Rad & Ramza are "technically" a special characters themselves even if Ramza's a glorified Squire and Rad isn't even a glorified version of that? If you only have those three characters?

Aside from that, I'll throw my weighty--ha!--support behind this, but I must admit, I'd rather you stay away from how Delita survived even if you have events left over for it after cannibalizing poor Darlavon's ignored tutorials. (Monster.)

I like the "mystery" of how Delita survived and it's obvious enough (especially in hindsight) that he's (probably) lying when he talks to Goltana about being or ever having been part of the wiped out Black Sheep squadron. That might just be me though. Shrug.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

RavenOfRazgriz

It sounds like he just wants to shove this in as bonus content for FFT:Plus, The Damned.  He kinda already said that rather specifically after Neophyte Ronin called his obvious ruse.

The Damned

(Ugh, my ear. So annoying....)

Yes, I am aware. I just want clarification one way or the other, especially since technically it would be "less" work to leave vanilla mechanics--within "reason"--and just focus on the story reorganization.

So, yeah, basically I want an explicit confession than an implicit one, including whether this would be separate from Plus and its own patch (even if still related to Plus) or within Plus itself.

Still, even if it's as bonus material for Plus only, it's a good idea.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dome

July 17, 2012, 02:28:31 am #19 Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:42:06 am by Dome
1)I think that a small patch that shows what happens between ch1 and 2 would be a good idea.
No story change at the beginning of Ch2, no Ramza that follows the Dark side, no altered jobs/abilities. Simply what happens between Ch1 and 2, even if it's just 2 events and 1 battle
- Zalbag reports to Dycedarg what happened at fort Zeakden
- Dycedarg says to Gaffy: "He is my half-brother, save him, he might come in handy in the future
- Gaffy & Rad "save" Ramza from a fake ambush. 3 (Ramza Rad Gaff) Vs 5 preset battle
- Ramza reveals himself as a Beoulve to Gaffy, who says: "You shouldn't throw that name around like it's no one business. Follow me, your swordmanship might be helpful and in exchange I'll help you hide from your brothers)

2) Yes, I'd like to put this in plus as a bonus content.
BUT, I don't know if the people will like the idea AND how much space it would take to be a nice extra. That's why I opened this topic
If the idea is too big to be put in plus, it could become a nice patch on it's own

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you guys like the idea A LOT, since there are many little "gaps" in the story (How Delita becomes a holy knight? How Elmdor becomes a lucavi? What about Wiegraf? Etc etc..) a "story-focused" patch that shows what happens to those characters as well would be nice

What I'm thinking about is a patch with pre-set battles that explores the dark points of the plot, each time focusing on a different character (And come on, you know that you WANT to play as a bad guy and roflstomp some stupid NPC, at least once)

Guess how I'd call a patch that does this? FFT: Fill the gap :-)