• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:10:54 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Pokemon: Tactics version

Started by Pride, June 12, 2012, 02:54:18 am

Pride

June 12, 2012, 02:54:18 am Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:01:15 pm by Pride
Pokemon: Tactics version overview
In an alternate universe, Pokemon have been set in Ivalice and White sets off to become the Champion of Ivalice after receiving his first Pokemon by the brilliant Professor Cedar. He must defeat the eight leaders of Ivalice, battle past his rival, and thwart the plans of an evil crime syndicate.

Battle System
Currently, the main character, along with other fellow and rival trainers, will act as a minor support unit with a new modified Item command (which will feature Poke Ball). They will lead a team of Pokemon into battle that level up and can evolve once they reach a specific level and visit the Pokemon "Breeder" located at Nelveska Temple. Each Pokemon will learn up to four moves, which vary between species of course.

Videos and Images

Development Status: Active
Currently working on event layouts, events, and the ASM aspect of the game. If you have ideas for potential attacks for the Pokemon, feel free to post your opinions. Don't be afraid to suggest mechanics that do not exist, they can be made.

Current Team
Pride [asm, story, events, other misc.] and Elric42 [events, maps, converting sprites into FFT sheets]
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

skiploom188

If I don't see a Skiploom, I won't try this patch.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
======================================================================
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542

Dome

Quote from: skiploom188 on June 12, 2012, 10:36:55 am
If I don't see a Skiploom, I won't try this patch.

Skiploom sucks
Only Ledyba is worse

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

MiKeMiTchi

Sunkern is the worst.

suggestions:
-throw pokeball invite (prolly already done)
-evolution in-battle!
-unique trainer innate skill
-allow trainer movement (for throwing pokeballs\items)
-withdraw from encounter?
-Bar: Trade center; Act as day care center as well
-Have Exploud
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Jumza

Will you only be using pokemon from the generation the 3 starters you chose are from? Or will there be a mix? Also are you mixing the legendaries or are you using the ones from this gen? (Which I belive would be Ho-oh and Lugia right?) and one more q,
will there be 2 different versions of the game for dif end-game legendaries?                             
Great work so far btw. (The only pokemon I really want is happiny... or chansey... OR BLISSEY :D)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Elric

So far most Pokemon are from Gen 1 & 2, Pride and I worked out a possible list of Pokemon to have in the mod, maybe as we get further along he will show you all :P

On a side note, glad you finally made this topic Pride, now everyone can enjoy that event (or rather 10 events) that we worked so hard on :P

Elric

Quote from: MiKeMiTchi on June 12, 2012, 02:00:08 pm
-evolution in-battle!

Evolution is going to be done thru Nelveska Temple at the Breeder. Evolution in battle would not only require most likely alot of ASM work, it would also liekly require every single battle to be a scripted event and have preplaced allies/enemies, and even then it would be very complicated, tho I wouldn't say impossible, tho Pride has already setup the evolution to work out very well the way it is currently setup.

Quote-unique trainer innate skill

What do you mean?

Quote-allow trainer movement (for throwing pokeballs\items)

This is AFAIK still up for discussion, the original idea was to have them the trainers not move, and make it so that Pokeballs could be used from any distance,
I'm not sure what Pride has ultimately decided on as of yet tho.

Quote-withdraw from encounter?

Now THIS is a very interesting idea, I've always liked the thought of being able to escape from battle in FFT. Dunno if it's possible tho,
so I'll leave that one for Pride to answer

Quote-Bar: Trade center; Act as day care center as well

Can you elaborate more on your idea with this?

Quote-Have Exploud

??

Jumza

To escape from a random battle you could have an ability that was like kill-everything-but-the-trainer type deal, either hitting everyone or no one... but then you would have to make it not be able to be used in story battles >.< (or give exp if that matters at all for the trainer)

Exploud is a pokemon.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Elric

Thank you for clearing that up for me lol. I only know Gen up to Gen 2 Pokemon (I'll be even more embarrassed if that is from Gen 2)

And the issue with doing an escape from battle that way is not really possible do what what you mentioned, Story battles. This also seems like
a easy way out and might look a bit off to actually make it kill everyone lol.

Jumza

nah ur good man, exploud is gen 3.
Yeah didnt think it would work like that, just tossing out some ideas. It would also be wierd cuz then you'd get a congratulations after that...

MiKeMiTchi

Unique trainer innate skill
Every trainer has a skill, like in Advance wars. For example, a Ninja trainer will have his own skill that hits all his pokemon and give them haste status. Once per battle only.

Bar propositions
Propositions could work as trade requests and day care requests. Since there are number of days completion, our pokemon could be sent to a day care center for a number of days. As for the trade center, there could be a follow-up event. Other possibilities: tournaments and contests.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Elric

Quote from: MiKeMiTchi on June 12, 2012, 08:37:09 pm
Unique trainer innate skill
Every trainer has a skill, like in Advance wars. For example, a Ninja trainer will have his own skill that hits all his pokemon and give them haste status. Once per battle only.

This is a interesting thought, tho it really wouldn't be much different then things like Accuracy X or other items like that, tho I'm not sur eif those will be used or not,
so this might be something to look into. Just remember tho, there is a limited amount of Job classes to work with and most of those will be dedicated to Pokemon :P
Bar propositions
Propositions could work as trade requests and day care requests. Since there are number of days completion, our pokemon could be sent to a day care center for a number of days. As for the trade center, there could be a follow-up event. Other possibilities: tournaments and contests.

I dunno how Trades would work with it, but the Daycare is actually kinda a sound idea, being that when you go onto props you gain EXP and whatnot, much like you would in daycare

Pride

Quote from: Jumza on June 12, 2012, 05:12:40 pm
Will you only be using pokemon from the generation the 3 starters you chose are from? Or will there be a mix? Also are you mixing the legendaries or are you using the ones from this gen? (Which I belive would be Ho-oh and Lugia right?) and one more q,
will there be 2 different versions of the game for dif end-game legendaries?                             
Great work so far btw. (The only pokemon I really want is happiny... or chansey... OR BLISSEY :D)

1. Right now we're only doing the initial starters of generation 2, Cyndaquil, Totodile, and Chikorita, but we're considering making the final evolutions of generation 1 available towards the end of the game.

2. I believe we only have sprite concepts for the generation 2 trio: Entei, Suicune, and Raikou. I'd have to check to see if there's another trio available that could be transferred over easily. In terms of the game legendary, Elric and I haven't talked too much about it but its definitely something in the back of my mind.

3. Right now, we're only planning on a single version =p

Quote from: MiKeMiTchi
Bar propositions

I'm not sure if I could do trading through a proposition but I believe I could make it work through a rumor. I'd have to do some testing though.

Desocupado

Here some ideas:

1 - Will there be in battle items? (potion/etc)

2 - Will the trainer unit go into the battle field? He could have a "flee"/"restart" command to use if he's out of pokemon (this ability costing some Gil).

3 - Will he use items? If so, then it should be somewhat limited per battle.
Since un-evolved pokemons learn attacks faster, they could have innate "Gain jp up".

4 - Can you use an alternative evolution system involving non returnable class change? i.e. Charizard requires Charmander job level 8, but Charmander requires Charizard and Charmleon job level < 2.

5 - Can you edit ability type slots? I.e. you can use what's equipped on support, reaction and movement slots as a single single skill slot.

6 - Can unit damage be kept trough battles? i.e. My pokemon lost half it's health at Sweegy Woods, then it starts at Dorter battle with half health.

7 - Will there be guest battles (2x2 trainers)

8 - Is it possible to implement some sort of "change active pokemon"?

Eternal

In regards to 3, here are some ideas:

Potion- 20 HP
Super Potion- 50 HP
Hyper Potion- 200 HP
Full Heal- Cancel: Debuffs
Ether- 30 MP
Revive- Cancel: Death
X Attack- Add: Berserk
X Speed- Add: Haste
X Accuracy- Add: Vanish
X Defend- Add: Protect
X Special- Add: Shell
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Pride

Quote from: Desocupado on June 13, 2012, 10:01:13 am
Here some ideas:

1 - Will there be in battle items? (potion/etc)

2 - Will the trainer unit go into the battle field? He could have a "flee"/"restart" command to use if he's out of pokemon (this ability costing some Gil).

3 - Will he use items? If so, then it should be somewhat limited per battle.
Since un-evolved pokemons learn attacks faster, they could have innate "Gain jp up".

4 - Can you use an alternative evolution system involving non returnable class change? i.e. Charizard requires Charmander job level 8, but Charmander requires Charizard and Charmleon job level < 2.

5 - Can you edit ability type slots? I.e. you can use what's equipped on support, reaction and movement slots as a single single skill slot.

6 - Can unit damage be kept trough battles? i.e. My pokemon lost half it's health at Sweegy Woods, then it starts at Dorter battle with half health.

7 - Will there be guest battles (2x2 trainers)

8 - Is it possible to implement some sort of "change active pokemon"?

1. Yes there will be battle items that the trainer on field is able to use.

2. A flee option was just suggested by someone else and it's something that I'm going to see if I can do.

3. As stated in question 1, yes there will be battle items. Currently there is no limit because it would give the enemy trainers an unfair advantage since they would be able to use unlimited items and I'm not sure how to fix that.

4. Could you explain this better, I'm not sure I understand.

5. Currently no, you cannot change what type the Pokemon is.

6. Basically no this is not possible and I'm not sure how much it would be required to make this possible or if I would want to (ex. I would also have to create a system to heal the pokemon through items or some function in a city that currently does not exist)

7. Yes ^_^'

8. All the Pokemon will be out on the field at the same time, so there really isn't an "active" Pokemon that you normally would see.

Durbs

How would moves work? By that I mean forgetting moves, learning them, TMs / HMs, etc.

skiploom188

Will there be Pokemon Music? Or just leave FFT Music as is?

Just joking about what I said earlier. I WANT THIS.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542

Pride

Quote from: Durbs on June 13, 2012, 01:20:53 pm
How would moves work? By that I mean forgetting moves, learning them, TMs / HMs, etc.

Right now, the Pokemon are using the 4 move slots that monsters are. So that means they'll have the four attacks and that's it. I would like to create a learn move/forget move system but I'm not sure how possible it would be.

Quote from: skiploom188 on June 14, 2012, 12:20:25 am
Will there be Pokemon Music? Or just leave FFT Music as is?

Just joking about what I said earlier. I WANT THIS.

While we are currently able to create new music in FFT, its unpractical, tedious, and I don't know how to do it. So this is a barrier and I'm hoping that a method to create music more easily will appear but I don't expect that to happen.