• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:33:00 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Castlevania Tactics

Started by Angel, December 07, 2011, 08:37:58 pm

Angel

December 07, 2011, 08:37:58 pm Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:08:27 am by Toshiko
Edit: This will pretty much never get done while working within the means of FFT. Closing.

Celdie and Eternal have known about my ambitions for this project for quite a while, and more recently, I've started bouncing ideas around IRC now that I actually have the means to get something done on it. Right now, I'm keeping things relatively simple. Not much in the way of event editing, as I'm more focused on ground work. Story and events can come about much later. Particularly since I have only a loose grasp on what the story could be if I ever got around to it.

First order of business: sprites and classes. After inquiring a bit, fdc has helped some with establishing the feasibility of some of my loftier goals for mechanics. All sprites will be monster types, simply for the sake of having greater control over the visual style I'm going for. And it's Castlevania - nobody needs to enter water anyway.

Current roster of player characters: Simon, Trevor, Grant, Sypha, Alucard, Richter, Maria, Nathan, Juste, Sonia, Soma, Yoko, Jonathan, Charlotte, Shanoa, aaaand Albus. However, I've been informed that I would be foolish to neglect the great Julius Belmont. My issue with including Julius is that... well, look at all the whip-bearers on that roster already. As things are right now, Simon and Trevor have a sort of Ryu and Ken thing going on where they have similar abilities with a few differences here and there. Richter is all item crush, so he'll hit very hard a couple times per battle and be all out of MP hearts. Nathan will have his full card system (with a few tweaks here and there simply for the sake of sanity), while Juste has his own unique items and abilities. Sonia will be a little bit more magic-focused, with her whip really just being there for backup. Jonathan will hit harder than any of the Belmonts, but each swing of his whip will cost him some of his own HP. Not really much I can do with Julius to set him apart, but I would like some input.

As far as player characters are concerned, is there anybody you'd really like to see that I'm cold-heartedly neglecting? Anybody you would outright veto?

I thought that in going with the Ryu/Ken analogy, Julius could follow that right along as Akuma, but that's more or less already filled by Richter. Eternal suggested I run with the martial arts thing he had going in CVHD. I considered just making him a periodic guest. Really, I'd just like to gauge how much people would hate me for not including him over someone above. And yes, I realize Albus is an awkward choice, but I have my reasons.

I've been drawing the portraits vaguely similar to Ayumi Kojima's art from the series, though I'm trying to make characters look a bit more distinguished from one another than she tends to. Sprites have a long way to go.

Once the player character data is usable enough, I'll do just enough event/map editing to make the game playable. Someday, I would like to physically alter the maps and give it a unique story and progression, but I do realize the likelihood of my falling away long before such a task would be completed. I don't think I'm being unrealistic with my goals for the player characters, though.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Twin for being awesome. He not only helped me recover my Etna avatar, but made it far prettier than I ever did.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Celdia

*waits for someone to complain about Sonia being on the list*

Awesome to see you finally posting something about this, Jupi. Also, your updated avvie is awesome. ^_^   I certainly won't complain about that line up. Your first 6 are who I use in my special CV battle in CCP.

Uhm, dunno if you need the help with it but when it comes time to do items and stuff, if you want to port item icons from like SotN over I can do that for you. Hell, I've already done the Necklace of J and the Stopwatch. :D
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Angel

I'm dead set on keeping Sonia and Nathan, purely out of contempt for them being retconned out of canon. Not that I don't agree that Nathan's story is out of place, but they both starred in my favorite games on their respective handhelds, and I'm pretty sure I can make Sonia fun as well.

Re: special CV battle - I can see why you asked if I'd mind about going that route, but my answer's still the same; the more CV love, the better. :3

Also, sure! I have no experience as of yet with items, so any pointing in the right direction wouldn't go unappreciated.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Celdia

Nathan was my 7th pick for the CCP fight but I felt 6 was enough to be entertaining and fun. Your Richter and Simon sound a lot like how I did mine but then, there is only so much to work with on those two. XD   I'm really looking forward to see what you do with Nathan's card system since that has a lot more flexibility from a player standpoint than just slapping a few abilities on an AI unit and letting him loose.

Of course, count me signed on for assisting with this project. Anything I can offer, my skills are yours. ^_^
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Angel

Thanks!

Right now, Simon has all his expected sub weapons along with Rosary. Trevor has the same sub weapons minus Rosary, but with the double shot and triple shot augments that increase damage at the cost of hearts. Richter's abilities are all item crushes, including Stop Watch, which inflicts Stop on all units but caster. He's the only one with access to Stop. Sonia's Wind Soul doesn't inflict Stop any longer. I made it a knockback instead. Her Ice Soul is no longer a full heal, but remains expensive, and only heals herself. It's Castlevania, so healing opportunities are few.

Charlotte is the only character capable of healing others, and the only one able to remove status ailments on her own. Healing items are available, but expensive.

Kagebunji

Great Etna avatar, Jupi. You did it yourself? :0

Oh, and I must say I haven't read the whole topic(laziness...), but you finally give me the opportunity to do some Castlevania sprites, which I waited damn long for(if you are interested, then let me know, my first work on Castlevania sprites will be Succubus).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Angel

Sure! If you don't mind me supplying my own portraits - I'm doing Ayumi Kojima esque portraits rather than FFT style. I'm also doing something a bit different in regards to sprite sheets. Walking animations won't be used while standing idle. The extra attack animations (think Bomb explode animation) cued by casting, and giving each unit innate casting. If you'd like to make them as standard and let me have my way with them afterward, that's fine, too.

Oh, and I did the initial avatar, and Twin made it prettier for me. I love it :D

Kagebunji

I'd probably would do a traditional FFT sheet, and let you work it into the sheet you use.

I am very interested in those sheets too, how do they look? -Nevermind that, I just readed and saw you will use an all MON sheets. This should be interesting, haha. And sorry, but I am not familiar with Ayumi Kojima person.

Angel

She's the one who did the art for SotN, HoD, AoS, OoE, etc. The most prolific of the Castlevania artists.

Angel

Since there won't be terribly many characters who aren't either player characters or bosses (Dracula, Death, Medusa, etc) I'll be filling the enemy list up to the brim with as many mainstays as possible. If there are any in particular you're planning on or interested in doing yourself, let me know.

The initial playable release I'll get out once all the player characters are finished, and I have enough basic enemies done to make it interesting to play and experiment with, just to get a feel for where it's going, and input for balancing purposes.

And no input for character inclusion? I really expected SOMEONE to have an opinion. I'm still making Julius at the moment, I just have no idea what to do with him just yet.

Kagebunji

I'm just a spriter, so my opinion shouldn't metter much in this case :P.

However, there are soo many sprites from Castlevania that I like that it makes me confused as to where to begin, haha. I'm not too familiar with Medusa, but I assume using Lamia's body with some modifications could surely work.

Angel

Everyone's opinion matters! :O

Especially if you're contributing. But anyone with any amount of interest I'd like to hear from, even if you never play it (though I hope you do).