• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:54:09 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Gargantuan proportions

Started by Mobius, May 18, 2013, 06:33:01 am

Mobius

You heard right.

Elder Wyrm

I'll be posting more as I venture into making a spritesheet to accomodate giant creatures, such as the Elder Wyrm here and all their movements and action poses. For now, I'd have to finish this sprite first and then make the box limits. The wings are big and will take more space, so I'll be finishing this soon.

I'll be updating this thread.

There's the issue of how could we put to work biggies like this on the field. I easily see this one occupying a 2x4 in the map, but to make it move there'd have to be plenty of measures to avoid it colliding with other units, move permissions would be limited, height would be a problem and of course, sprite clipping with other objects.

So suggestions are welcome.
Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

Lijj

It's like urban devolopment for the big Cadallacs..just keep wide avenues in mind for all maps. Whatever it takes, make room for the biggies.
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

Shit, this looks epic. You know this could work like in other Tactic games. For example you have bigger units in Disgaea or Phantom Brave, some of the really big ones just stand in place and have a long attack range, while others do move and simply take 4 tiles instead of 1. In FFT it would be impossible to do, but in Tethical I think that big, standing units will work more than perfectly. Making this move would be even greater, but it depends on what the engine will allow us to do, right.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Cheetah

I had the same thought as Kage in terms of just having it stand in place. So freaking awesome Mobius.
Current Projects:

Choto

Quote from: Kagebunji on May 18, 2013, 10:34:11 am
In FFT it would be impossible to do,

hehehe.. depends on your definition of impossible. It would take some custom coding and be more trouble than it's worth, but it's doable. Although I'm not touchin it lol

Lijj

Choto can hack anything into FFT I'm convinced!
  • Modding version: PSX

Mobius

May 18, 2013, 11:39:46 pm #6 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:48:45 pm by Mobius
Front frame sketch is done now. Here's a human for size comparison.

Now I'd have to do a back pose sketch and that would actually be enough to calculate a good box size and therefore having a sheet prototype.
What were the frames again? As I recall..

5 frames for idle front
5 frames idle back
2 back and front jumping
2 back and front blocking
4 two frames for normal attack, front and back
2 back and front wounded
2 back and front hit
2 back and front dead
7 frames for a special frontal attack
7 frames for special back attack

38 poses in total, based on the original FFT Dragon sprite. Still, I'd like to add a few more special attack poses, like a tail attack animation, wing attack for the flank, and some sort of special spell and charge animation. So in the end this will actually end up to be a BIG sheet.

I actually thought this would take longer honestly. :P

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.

Kagebunji

Thing is huge. What actually I thought of now, this beast isn't gonna move around on frames that much, so most frames would be just animating wings, face(for damage or level up) etc., Putting such biggie in the game is gonna be amusing, haha.

@Choto, it may be possible, but I doubt anyone would take up hacking this thing into the game, haha.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Mobius

A question for Lirmont.

Should I make in my sprite sheet separate body parts so that we organize them in the sprite editor, or would it be better to have them as MON sheets where the poses are already assembled by themselves?

I'd be more than happy to make them as MON sheets. It's easier for all of us, and especially good for people spriting their own mega-beasts.

lirmont

As long as it displays correctly in the sprite animator, it doesn't matter what format you use (mind the space from bottom edge for the sake of the display illusion). In my opinion, it's easier to have things in parts; the sprite animation tool has a "replace frame" feature in the Edit Selected Frame tool which will easily let you march through setting up the actual display. Basically, you do it one time for one direction, and you can just advance to the next composite frame in the main window, return to your open editing window, replace the existing frames (two wings, one body; 3 total) with the appropriate frames, hit update, and repeat.

Yes, there is work involved with setting up poses ("named sets"), but they should also reflect what you want to do with your game (rather than just being an imitation of the MON format), and, as you can make them be any length, at any speed, including any composite frame, there just isn't a simple way to say "Okay! Apply these!"; that's work associated with creating a format. Also, there's a lot of work I've done already in the engine making things easy for the naming layout I did (phase.sub-phase1.sub-phase2.direction), but, as long as you do something that has some rhyme or reason to it, you can program to that specification. "WalkLikeABossSW", for instance, is maybe a bad idea for a battle animation, but that won't actually stop you from showing that sequence on-screen. It's just that you'd have to program around that, whereas my format, which would render that as "Walk like a Boss.SW", would let you just set the phase of "Walk like a Boss" and not have to worry about constantly setting the direction in-game. Whereas, you may actually want something like "MySuperCoolJumpAroundTheScreenAnimation" to not have a direction. It's lazy, of course, but, if you only ever intend on showing it from one direction, then it's fine; that translates to the "event character" approach, except it's still contained in the format, and you will still need all graphical parts to be part of the image (unless you use named attachments, which is totally possible to have any number of other images attached, like an event character approach).