• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

silentkaster

Thanks Barren and CT5Holy!
I definitely need to lose DS from my team here. Mediator went for it too often for it to be a good thing. Problem is this turn capitalizes on taking turns and DS is opposite that. Might have stood a chance against Andante if a Mediator hit DA or stop instead of DS. Anyway, GGboth of you.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

The Damned

(Yes, thanks for the videos, Barren and CT5Holy.)

Not much to say about this aside from my surprise that this lasted as long as it did given how hard both of these can hit. Well, as hard as Dorter's Most Wanted used to hit, before the necessary nerf to Air Knife and before the female Thief became a Main Gauche support wench. Meh. It probably took so long because of the Cursed Ring users on both sides generally getting back up relatively quickly.

Still, Dokurider's team did well enough aside from the backfiring Berserk and Goland Coal City's map generally being the site of vicious curbstomp.

This match, on the other hand, was shorter than I expected despite silentkaster's high speed and Andante49's team being a well-tuned engine of death. The latter in part because of the fact that Quake is overpowered, though we can all complain about that in the Balance thread. As it is, by Hades, I think that the second round was the first time I've seen "Old Gimmickry" not get off Solution's Innocent proc on the Monk.

Currently, Andante49's "Old Gimmickry" team is now making me hear the "Who can stop this fighting machine?!" sound bite from Alpha 3 that Skullgirls makes reference to among other things.

Hunh. I hadn't noticed that Barren's Hammer of God team got such a massive overhaul given its previous Holy focus is kind of incidental now and only Mary hasn't really changed. I guess the change is decent, but Abigail the now-Wizard not having an AoE damage spell is super awkward in my opinion, even with Faith Rod being better with status spells. It only gets more awkward given Abigail has no spells to actually take advantage of Oil, though I suppose that's more for Gabriel's sake, which is...fine I suppose. I'm kind of tempted to make a Holy absorb team myself now....

As it is, she only used Frog on her own team after being Charmed despite no one on Guys Night Out being immune to Frog. I think that lack is a key factor, if not the most important factor, to why his team lost given his team couldn't really make up for the severe Speed difference with only Asura as its AoE. His fastest unit, the Ninja, often being focused on healing rather than attacking didn't help either.

As it is, though, silentkaster's Mediator getting absurdly lucky with hitting Death Sentence hardly helped Barren either. Seriously, the amount of luck reminded of how annoyed I got, I think, towards the end of the last match in the marathon that TrueLight posted a while ago where a similar thing happened; this after missing a decent amount of Talk Skill myself. Some people have all the luck.

Besides that, I suppose it was decently close all things considered, if only because silentkaster's Thief did miss a bunch of attacks against most of Barren's units whether they had Abandon or not.

The last match taught me a couple of things:

1. A male Squire is yet another unit that can use the new Asura the ability better than an actual male Samurai. Profound sadness.

2. That initial Jump by the Monk that actually hit was indeed...odd given that it shouldn't have landed that quickly. I have to wonder what was up with that since he wasn't wearing a Choice Band. Hmmm....
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Malroth

the only classes that are the best at using their own action skills are Male Monk, Male Archer and Female Mediator,  everybody else is outdone by at least one other class.

Barren

I think I know how to revamp my Hammer of God team. Just have to get to it when I get home. Definitely AoE is lacking on my part
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Shintroy

Squire and Knight make great use of the monk skill set. Probably equally as good if not better with the right equipment damage wise. Monk has Chakra Band, 9 base speed, and a the hp to compete though. I actually haven't seen any martial art paladins in 139 though.

Mediator... I don't know. I think Chemists make great mediators. Almost better if they had robe access to tank as good. Auto Potion and Unyielding though.

Chemists imo always make the best chemists. Innate Throw Item and tons of HP to tank. I wonder why there aren't many Chemist with steal item bots with cursed ring..... All that MP and quickening.... I don't know man.

Recently found squire making good time mages.

Does anyone know if mime permanently lose their shield through mimicking attacks? Been thinking of making another mime team with an undead mime item or status bot and wanted to know this first.
Some day my people will be free.

Malroth

Can't say for certian weither shields come back as the only mimes i've run have been with Necronomicon or Ragnarok both of which return.

Malroth

New video up,  the same problems i've been having means no voiced commentary so subtitles added in post production.

The Dammed (Night of the Comet) vs Shintroy (Pen and Sword 3)

Shintroy

December 25, 2014, 05:57:13 am #3728 Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:17:41 am by Shintroy
It's weird with Mime. When I tested weapons out the mime did actually reequip after mimicking. In recorded matches its another story for some reason though. I'll finish making my undead mime team and risk it.

Spellbreaker vs Zombie

I bet on The Damned after seeing all the negative points Malroth pointed out. RIP phoenix blade and Reraise. Zombie should've wrecked my team.

Round 1 - Wow I gotta say, I like Squire/Paladin with Mime combo. That Yell and Nurse combo is super fine. I'll have to use(steal) it someday. Tons of Zombie thrown around in this round surprisingly. Nailed 3 of my units with it. Showed how bad my team's recovery ability was. Too bad for the Damned he got caught in a sandbag loop and my scholar got back up or else he could've easily taken it.

Round 2 - Never won a round on this map for some reason.Got really shafted on stage position and RNG. Mad Science isn't supposed to miss as far as I know. Samurai was completely useless this round outside of a Murasame weapon heal. I don't remember, but. i think one of The Damned's units actually landed a spell absorb on my 40 MP samurai. Book Mimic was the highlight of this round.

Round 3 - Teams with armored white magic users tend to take it on this map and the tradition continues due to The Damned falling prey to another sandbag loop. The loop was even worse this time because of Reflect Mail blowing mimic cures to the mime which wasted a few of the mime's turns.

GG. Both teams needed some tuning and it could've gone either way. AI use quickening if they have no healing capabilities and have low HP. Not sure why the bard chose quickening over magic song though. Learned a lot from this match. Thanks for the Christmas vid Malroth. Subbed.

Team Submission wishes may go overlooked so ill post here too.
Merry Christmas fellow gladiators. Did not get my what I wanted this year, maybe it'll come late January.
-
PA vs unorthodoxed units
Feared quake and tornado when I made this team, but I still bet on it to win.

Round 1 - Got really lucky with HP Restore here. I also probably shouldn't have given my monk life song since he only attacked with chaos blade two times at most. I don't think the squire used Asura either. AI was not on my side here. Highlight of the match was easily the chakra at the end fully healing 3 units.

Round 2 - Obvious bad map for me here. Chokepoints, Teleport Scholar, 2 range AoE.. It was my fight to lose from the first turn after the team splits up in the very first turn. I only recall one Asura from the squire and maybe two chaos blade attacks.

Round 3 - Same as two. Mimes got seperated and the other two units refused to use their main attacks.

GG. I liked the double meatbone slash samurai and use of half MP on RedWorld's team. Did the samurai seriously drain my monk's MP first round? Additional shame with this loss. Rip.
Thanks for the match TrueLight. Been going overkill on the mime teams. Trying to keep them all unique at least.
---------
Now that I made an MA version I definitely am to blame for how the AI acted in this match. The monk's main role was supposed to be buff, and slash, but with a map wide heal, it wasn't likely he'd be in range to use the chaos blade.  Still not sure about the squire though. I hope unit order fixes the mimes pairing up together. It'd be much better if when it came to pairing mime didn't pair up with mime.

Barren

Merry Christmas to everyone in FFHacktics!

reinoe

Quote from: TrueLight on December 25, 2014, 09:04:08 pm
FFT Arena 1.39C - RedWorld (Is This the Real Life?) vs. Shintroy (Buff PA)

I feel bad for shintroy.  His squire was LVP.  That's not a typo.  Squire didn't reliably use Accumulate, and in the last match, it didn't revive anyone while Death Sentenced.  The Monk's performance wasn't great either because he wasn't singing when he could have been, but at least he hit like a truck.

Great job redworld and welcome back.
My dreams can come true!

Andante49

Hope the year's-end is treating everyone well. Thanks for all the videos, especially the mega marathon TrueLight, great stuff.

More mime backfire, between the stops and the fatal spellbreaker she was more of a liability than anything. The "banishment" at the end of round two almost made up for it, almost. GG reinoe

Silentkaster's team couldn't take advantage of the speed advantage, although spellbreaker not caring about darkness/blind and the near max-damage crit didn't help things either. With different statuses or if the mediator wasn't so focused on singing it would've gone the other way. GG silentkaster

Shintroy

December 26, 2014, 11:55:35 pm #3735 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 12:42:07 am by Shintroy
PA vs Tank
The first version of PA was used, but if I avoided vertical panels and got some chaos blade shots off I could probably take it. Always bet on PA if there's no AoE. 59~ minutes is an awfully long time to land dances and songs though....

Round 1 - Both teams living up to their name on this huge map. The round starts of with Witch Hunt killing all of my MP followed by some choice breaks onto several of my units. To top that, my mimes equipped Malroth's Necronomicon and further lowered my units damage, especially on the martial arts mime. A zombie proc maybe 10 minutes into the round on my squire(?). A lot of nothing with the monk buying time trying to get some MP and pitiful mime damage. The match picks up once the squire gets back up and healed from zombie though. Battle song for 2-3 PA on each unit followed by some chaos, Asura, and chaos blade to put Malroth on the defensive. More and more battle song and Asura hitting for 100~ damage through shell eventually to take the round. Lots of chaos blade MBarrier disrupting too lol.

Round 2 - Small Map, but thst doesn't stop another witch hunt opener. I get lucky with Masamune in the beginning of this round (too). Malroth goes on the defensive earlier this time despite the zombie landing on the mime and no battle songs to worry about. Chaos Blade played a huge part in penetrating Malroth's defense in this round too. So many chaos blade mimicking. One of them even scoring a double kill omg. Lucky to not see any breaks from the chemist, and the mimes all going bare handed including Malroth's.

GG this time. Cheer song played a kind of big role in round 1 healing the zombified squire. Makes me want to revert back to Buff PA I since I really didn't give it a second chance. Slightly Derp isn't slightly derp when its up against another mime team. Round one was hella derp, especially it somehow making my mine skip several turns. It was probably because the draw out mime was too close to the chemist and Necronomicon has a set 3 range though, but still the weapon shouldn't have been there in the first place. The Squire never got to use accumulate here due to witch hunt as well. I really liked the Mbarrier Mime too. My mimes were there to accidentally add the haste to make it a complete m barrier. Maybe someone could make a m barrier team with a paladin for draw out, nurse, iron will, and maybe another with Masamune. I think Kiyomori could work on your team if the mime having Necronomicon doeent work out, because the chemist woukdnt need snipe outside of breaks and MAYBE seal evil if he had it. Woukdve been cool to see some seal evil.

Thanks for another mime vid Holy. 59 minutes rip.
Tank vs Plenty of Absorb
After seeing Malroth in action vs a team with MP restoration I'll have to bet on Malroth vs a team without MP restoration.

Round 1 - Hell. It quickly goes to hell for Otabo. Witch Hunt Opener is really strong here since only the priest has Move-MP Up. Enraged Santa goes in and gets euthanized, first by petrify, then crystallize. The Squire gets zombified thanks to Necronomicon, and by then Otabo has no MP forcing his priest to ..... be a real priest. The now preaching priest goes into holy ghost mode and lands probably every single talk skill she uses. The squire does her job wasting some f Malroth's turns with Kiyomori, and eventually dies.  On the other side f the stage though thst priest is still landing talk skills. Lands some death sentence for a clutch double crystallize leaving us with a 2v2....
Round 1.5 - Death Sentence vs Gold Armor........ skipped after 5 minutes of looping. Giving Berserk to the disarmed knight basically have her martial arts. Eventually taking out the archer and priest.

Round 2 - Same thing. Witch Hunt. Last Dance double turning. Lots of crippling. I like the gold armor to prevent the mimic backfiring of ancient sword display. Rip Otabo though Too many wasted turns from the priest and invincible turns on Malroth... That archer though.

Worst match up possible or a death sentence team or unit. Genji Shield and/or Gold armor only protect from dead in 139 so any death sentence team or unit can fall prey to these goes of matches. I know I did once with my 16 speed + Chrono trigger thief twin team, may they rest in peace. Not really a fair fight. Not your fault though Otabo.

wait hold on Guile's theme. 2 minutes left though. 4v1. Lmao pls. TrueLight pls.
lmao

Rip another 59 minutes.
----
Lmao that ending. I called the match 10 minutes before that.
You're messed up Malroth. That team is golden. Don't change a thing.

Otabo

December 27, 2014, 12:08:57 am #3736 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 12:28:16 am by Otabo
20-some minutes I can't get back now, which is my own fault considering that I kept watching to see if the archer and the priest MIGHT have done something worth a damn, IF they worked together and used the right combinations of skills, but oh yeah, Gold Armor makes priest nearly useless. Right. Nevermind. All they had to do was keep them either stopped or disabled while archer slowly picks them apart, but yeah, AI is AI at the end of the day. That archer could have done it by herself at the end, but nope, let's revive a useless unit instead and get killed. Also, my own fault for giving the girl Shield Break instead of Armor Break like I originally planned to, but you learn from your mistakes in the end. Round 2 I stopped watching as soon as the archer went critical and ran away, leaving a useless thief, a useless squire, and a priest which is useless without help from the archer. It doesn't take another 20 minutes to figure out what I already know. GG, I suppose.

*If Raven was still around, I wonder which 'derp' team would come out on top in a match...?*

You know what? Screw it, I'm back. That match really didn't help me at all, to be honest. I'm hereby requesting another match with this team against a different team. THEN I'll see what needs to be done.

Barren

I can resume matches this weekend so I'll do some

silentkaster

I really hope that if nothing else before 1.40, the DS issue gets fixed. The AI is immune to dead which cancels DS effect. Yeah, you could consider this just a risk if you run DS, but that's not quite right. After all, if a unit is immune to charm or berserk, the AI wouldn't waste turns on that status. It would use something else. Well, not only is he AI using this even when the enemy is immune, but it gives the AI two free turns without being targeted my damage at least to do something. If the priest didn't constantly go for DS on those paladins, it may have been a lot more interesting or ended differently.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.