• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:01:27 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Wrong unit delivers text

Started by Timbo, October 21, 2014, 09:49:01 am

Timbo

I replaced all of my merged all of my guest units with join and/or enemy units to free up space for new jobs. Today I ran into a problem that I expect will be a problem in the future too.

Specificallly. I changed all of the Gafgarion 17's to Gafgarion 11's and they no longer join the party. Now when I bring the new job that occupies job 17 to Dorter Trade City 2, he deliver's Gafgarion's lines instead. If I don't bring them Gafgarion 11 deliver's his lines as he should. I did not change the unit ID's by the way.

How do I fix this?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

3lric

Quote from: Jack of All Trades on October 21, 2014, 09:49:01 am
I replaced all of my merged all of my guest units with join and/or enemy units to free up space for new jobs.

I don't understand this sentence

Today I ran into a problem that I expect will be a problem in the future too.

Specificallly. I changed all of the Gafgarion 17's to Gafgarion 11's and they no longer join the party. Now when I bring the new job that occupies job 17 to Dorter Trade City 2, he deliver's Gafgarion's lines instead. If I don't bring them Gafgarion 11 deliver's his lines as he should. I did not change the unit ID's by the way.

How do I fix this?

I cannot even BEGIN to try to bugtest this... You haven't posted anything script wise for us to look at. I've been event editing for a long time now and what you said there doesn't make sense, simply because events don't work that way.

You need to put the script for the event in quest here.

And while you are at it, post a screenshot of the Unit in question in the ENTD.

Timbo

I'll get you a screen shot but I should make it clear, I haven't modified the script at all. Just fftpatcher. For some reason when I bring a unit with job 17 into that event he delivers gafgarion's dialogue instead even though I've switched everything around correctly.

3lric

Quote from: Jack of All Trades on October 21, 2014, 04:02:33 pm
even though I've switched everything around correctly.

No offense, but that's clearly not the case  :oops:
Something is causing this to happen, which means something wasn't changed or imported correctly.

Timbo

None taken. I'm just happy there is someone to talk to about this. Here is a copy of my fftpatcher file if you'd like to look at it the ENTD for Dorter 2.

The two screenshots below are of Rad delivering Gafgarion's lines and then Gafgarion appearing out of thin air after the battle begins.

Edit: the screenshots feature the fft complete script but I have tested this without a clean vanilla script and the problem persists.

3lric

Jack, you didn't post your event script. Ill need that as well

Timbo

That's because I didn't change it. Even though the screen shot features WotL script this happens on a clean vanilla script too.

3lric

What made you think this would work without editing the event script?
I'm very confused here, being what you just said as well as

I did not change the unit ID's by the way.

From what I understand, you changed nothing?

Timbo

All I did was edit the jobs and the entd. Somehow that is causing the event to get messed up. I included the patcher file if you want to see the entd file yourself.

Angel

Of course the event is messed up. The event is symbiotic of the ENTD. If you change one, you must change the other.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

3lric

Angel is correct, you need to edit the event to reflect these changes.

Timbo

It's weird though. It works just fine when I don't bring that character into that battle. I guess my next question is, where do I start?

3lric

You'd start by doing what I originally asked. Post the event script and SCREENSHOTS of THAT character in the ENTD.

You posting files don't help with teaching you what you did wrong. Especially when it's easier for me to point and say,
this = wrong. Needs be this.

Angel

What's weird is that the text defaults to Gafgarion when the Dark Knight isn't in your party. I'm honestly surprised at that, and don't remember that ever coming up in event peculiarities before. Either way, you need to change the event so that new Gafgarion is the one speaking, and not your repurposed job.

And belatedly: Alt+PrintScreen is your friend. Captures the active window and not the full desktop, so you don't need to crop your images.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

3lric

Its actually not that wierd Toshiko, its come up in the past, I was just given the resources to fix it much earlier on. Which is why i need him to pastebin the event script and screenshot Gaffy's ENTD settings

Angel

Yeah, xifi explained it to me as a possible failsafe from programmers who couldn't remember unit IDs. Still, I don't remember this happening at all.

3lric

Yeah that's what im thinkin. Which kinda like how when you call a dialogue in most cases if the unit isn't there,
itll show the chapter 1 ramza port. Or it could be something else entirely like them being derps and setting the portriat via either a event command or through attack.out.

Timbo

I managed to fix the event problem guys. I swapped around the jobs so Gaffgarion's and other special characters' old jobs can't be obtained by the player until after their final scenes are over. Thank you so much for your time.

3lric

Okay, next time you need help, just post the damn info though, this coulda been solved 2 freakin days ago.

Timbo

I'm sorry. I just didn't understand why you needed it. Now that I do, you'll be sure to get it straight away next time.