• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:12:10 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Valk's Projects: 2021 update (Trance) Terra, Fran, Main Vagrant Story cast +more

Started by Valkirst, May 23, 2014, 03:27:56 pm

theultrawolf

I like 'em, but the 2nd one's right leg looks a bit weird and the 4th one seems a bit tall. o.o
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Valkirst

Yeah, I fixed the leg... I think and did a bunch of other tweaks. And yes I made Artea tall on purpose and no, I don't care lol
  • Modding version: PSX
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

Jumza

When you resize the sprites make sure they aren't blurry like that. It's hard to critique them when we can't really see them!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Valkirst

I know, but I don't know of an android tool that resizes pixel for pixel, they all get blurry like that. I am working on these on my phone btw.  :mrgreen:
Completed Sprites

Drunkard

They look good, are you going to make a complete sheet of each?

Valkirst

Found a work around ish, screen -shot!! And as for making entire sprite sheets right now, I need to acquire a new computer but yes, the goal is to complete them. There's also some colors by Maxims cape that shouldn't be there, but that's just an oversight and I know it doesn't belong there.
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

So I finally got my computer back. I started to work on the Deis Lucavi Sprite walking frames. I know the other ones are there but I am looking for some advice and crits on just the walking ones for now. I know shes a little flat on the green so I need to figure that out.
Completed Sprites

Kagebunji

Tail is flat, true, you should add some depth in there, use some references. You tested it in game so far?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Valkirst

I hadn't tested that one, but when I did I had to shorten the tail and I'm thinking of giving her a scale underbelly to help with the depth. The colors are FFT but I am thinking of reworking them a bit more as well as potentially changing her armor to something more akin to the artwork. I'll post an example at the end of the week.
Completed Sprites

Guru

Terra looks awesome! I don't remember much of my lufia days but those are some damn good looking sprites and I'm looking forward to seeing them complete!! You def have talent, keep up the good work!!

Valkirst

Here is a version more akin to the artwork. Here is a recolor as well. I used Draclau's Purple and Ahriman's Green. What do you all think? Which Versions work best?

Threw in a non blurry Garr for good measure lol.
Completed Sprites

DarkMaeko

the dark green one on the top!! nice sprites coming along nicley ic. bad ass gar!

Valkirst

Thanks Guru and Dark. :3 I hope to get these finished then move onto my real project.
Completed Sprites

Jumza

Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Valkirst

Haha I know its been a while, so here is a preview of Deis walking. :3

The hand animation looks messed up but I think thats because I messed it up while trying to make it a GIF. Doesn't look like that normally and it's moving kind of fast... lol

Also I don't know how to make an animated gif with a transparent background!
Any help with this? I used GIMP to animate it and only have Graphics Gale as well.
Completed Sprites

Twinees

Hey Valkirst,

The animation is a little bit odd, its not really possible to make the slither of a snake in an animation that goes forwards and backwards. So the tail kind of looks like its flailing all over the place. But I'd rather talk about the sprite itself.
The angle seems strange compared to other sprites due to the position of the hands, the long thin face and the height of her hair.
I made a quick edit to show you what I mean about the face and hair:

Getting the angle right is really important! And then shading comes afterwards. I really recommend going back and messing with some vanilla type 1 or 2 sprites so you can get used to the shading. What you've got now is alright, but I think you can improve it quite a bit! Good luck.

Valkirst

I definitely see what you mean, I did actually have an issue with the head when I first made it and wasn't really happy with it but I figured I would keep it just to have something. Thank you for the advice, yeah the five frames for the walk are very limiting. So are you advising I just have her body be static? Thank you though, I seriously have been waiting for some good Crits to improve. I see what you're saying even though this animation is a terrible example it is definitely all wonky and I will definitely work on the "slithering" animation. ;) this one is so jerky, not what it actually looks like when I use Shishi.

Yeah Spriting is a very different animal from drawing or painting, the basics are there but I love the challenge of it. 

Oh do you know of a simple gif animator that allows for background transparency?

Completed Sprites

Angel

Animation Shop, which is distributed alongside PaintShop Pro. It's also amazing at picking color palettes for high quality GIFs (see the spoiler button in my signature for an example). It's really better than anything I've ever used, and I've been looking for an alternative for years (only because it's 15 years old and god knows when it'll stop working in Windows) without it ever being bested.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Twinees

Quote from: Valkirst on February 23, 2016, 05:52:58 pm
Yeah Spriting is a very different animal from drawing or painting, the basics are there but I love the challenge of it. 

That's great that you are enjoying yourself, keep at it.

I wouldn't say keep the body static, just something needs to be done so the tail isn't flailing :P. Maybe look at how the Lamia's animation from ffta, ffta2 or ffxii:revenant wings is done. Might help with some ideas. I think they only have 3 frames however, they have an animation cycle of 1-2-3-2-1 which suits the fft animation cycle (1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1).
To create a proper snake slither you would need a cycle of 1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5 etc. which isn't possible unfortunately.

Another thing you could mess around with is the position of her head and the size of her breasts. Right now, it looks like she is leaning back a fair amount, and the size of the breasts isn't helping that haha :P. She doesn't need to be flat-chested, they just need to be a little smaller I think. Let us know how it goes~

Valkirst

So here is a quick one I threw together, I changed the head (obvi) and moved the breast one pixel right. It really changes the umm, ahem.. dynamic? Still needs work, but yeaaaahhhhh... :3

I worked on the portrait all day today! Hahaha. Needed a break from the sprite. I am having trouble with the Hoodie/cape thingy though. Haalp meeee Also, I totally swiped the bangs from your Male Animist sprite Twinees ;)
Completed Sprites