• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Emulators with debuggers

Started by pokeytax, February 09, 2013, 12:19:20 pm

pokeytax

February 09, 2013, 12:19:20 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:20:08 pm by pokeytax
pSX seems to be crashing in the item shop ("Buy") for me on Windows 7.  This is distressing as I rely on the built-in debugger.

Has anyone else tried NO$PSX yet?  It seems to be working fine for me so far (EDIT: well until I tried to go to the Formation screen), after applying a proper BIOS, although using proper register labels (v2, r1, a0, etc.) drives me nuts.  Based on my experience using NO$GBA to hack Suikoden Card Stories for GBA, this might prove to be a superior hacking emulator in the long run.

If I somehow missed a previous emulator discussion thread by all means move this there.
  • Modding version: PSX

Glain

I just tried NO$PSX briefly... I was having some pretty bad sound/video glitches, but didn't play around with the settings too much.

I don't... even know what's going on with the default disassembly.  It's like he's trying to display it as if it's x86 assembly?  I changed it to the native MIPS disassembly and it seems he's got some nonstandard pseudos (subiu?) but the thing that really gets me is prefixing immediates with $ (it means a register in MIPS syntax... ack).

I was going to say, though... I use pSX on Windows 7 and it's always worked well for me, except in a few cases where the debugger can crash if you fiddle with breakpoints enough (I also target all hacks at pSX, since I don't have the means to test them on a real console).  Not sure what your problem is with pSX crashing, but it shouldn't be the OS.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

pokeytax

Hm... I'll try a little harder to sort out my issue then.  If NO$PSX is like NO$GBA, it will have much more versatile breakpoints than pSX and the ability to view VRAM.  But I'm not so eager to move on just yet (NO$PSX is certainly still a work in progress).
  • Modding version: PSX