• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:09:55 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Formation Screen Sprites

Started by Mega_Tyrant, August 02, 2009, 08:53:13 pm

Mega_Tyrant

August 02, 2009, 08:53:13 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mega_Tyrant
Sorry about the giant Wall O' Text

So after playing around with Shishi for a while and lamenting over the fact that the sprites in the formation screen didn't change as well, I decided to see if I could do anything about it.  So after a week of searching around the site/forums I came across the tutorial mentioning the formation screen sprites being stored in the UNIT.BIN of the PSX version, well that didn't do much since I had no way of accessing the sprites in there.  Then today I come across an older post in the spriting forums about FFTEVGRP being used for the PSX version to edit the UNIT.BIN.  So I say to myself "what the heck, lets give it a shot".  After extracting fftpack with UMDGen I decrypt it with FFTPatcher and open up UNIT.BIN with FFTEVGRP.  After attempting to import neocloud SPR and failing I realize that it's working with BMPs.  Well on the next attempt I convert the SPR file to a BMP and try again, FAIL!!!.  I say to myself "WTF" and decide I'll take a look at the sprite that FFTEVGRP is working with.  Lo and behold it's a single pose only!  Well that's why the larger BMP wasn't working.  So then I come across the problem of obtaining a single pose of Cloud, easy enough I'll just open up the BMP that I coverted earlier in Paint, and crop a new pose.  Easy enough, I crop a new 24x40 pose in Paint and save it.  Alright next try, third times the charm right?  FAIL!!!  Crap it's got to be in 16 color Bitmap.  So I open it up in paint again and save it as a 16 color Bitmap.  Fourth try and wohoo! it load up but OMG the colorloss make the sprite look like s#%*.  So now I'm editing the little pose to try and get it at least decent looking.  After an hour of trying to do and several rejections I get a sprite that looks somewhat decent.  So after patching the game with FFTPatcher and inserting the new Cloud sprite with Shishi I'm now back to FFTEVGRP I load up the new Cloud BMP and save the UNIT.BIN, repack the fftpack and recompile the ISO with UMDGen.  I boot up the ISO on my PSP and BOOYAH!!! Cloud's sprite is now the new AC Cloud in the formation screen as well.

So um... yeah I don't know if this is old news but I just wanted to share with everyone that you can change the formation screen sprites in WOTL with FFTEVGRP.

Now I gotta see if it's possible to change the sprites in the cutscenes as well.

EDIT:  Well after browsing the forums a bit more it looks like this is old news.  I'll keep this up just in case anyone else still doesn't know about this.
RAWR!