• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:42:37 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT: Complete Main Info thread

Started by Cheetah, April 07, 2009, 11:52:40 pm

VincentCraven

April 08, 2009, 06:57:14 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Well, the way I see it guests have their own agenda and do not necessarily take orders from you.

As far as gameplay goes, Chapter1 Guests are there to lead new players through the beginning of the game (though no new players are really are going to be playing this version I admit) and in later battles having to adapt to the AI's quirks makes for interesting fights.  Battles such as "Save X" would not be as exciting if I could just have the AI run away to a corner.  I know some people find saving Mustadio or Rafa in that battle on the roof frustrating, but I like it when your allies have their own agenda.  What made you want them controllable?

I guess more importantly than that, I don't feel that this change is part of the scope of the project.  The goal is to activate everything and remove everything wrong with the game.  Things that are simply preference don't feel like they fit in with this.  By the way, is this project importing all text changes from PSP version back into PSX like ability names,etc?

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone have any tips on getting the Japanese version of FFT (computer version)?
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Cheetah

April 08, 2009, 07:10:21 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Well I'm convinced, controllable guests will be taken off the list.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

April 09, 2009, 12:29:18 am #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Well Melonhead is a genius and I think overcoming all other text glitches like the random kanji will be really easy from here on out. There seem to be an awful lot of dashes of various length in this translation though. If someone could confirm that they are actually supposed to be there and are all looking like the correct length that would be great.

An update will still hopefully make it out sometime tonight.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

April 09, 2009, 01:41:19 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
New Release: Up on the first post

Final Fantasy Tactics: Complete v.02

-Script: Now inserted up through the Reed Whistle scene with Ramza and Delita. Balbanes's death also also been correctly inserted.
-Hacks: Hopefully by editing the games font in three different files the random kanji problem should be fixed.

Testers are still definitely needed, especially since I'm a little worried that the game might explode at the Reed Whistle scene. There is a video there in the psp version and the text there...well it looked like this:

//Message x01
{D133}{D151}{B7}{D261}{D10A}{D117}{AF}{br}
{D118}{4A}{89}{41}{5D}{67}.{B6}{D261}{D117}{AF}{7F}{br}
 {66}{50}{48}{64}{50}{6B}{D152}{D18C}{8F}{D2B6}{63}{88}{6B}{48}{67}{D11B}.{end}

So I don't plan on inserting anything else till somebody tells me that this worked and looked okay. Or at least what it looked like...
Current Projects:

FFMaster

April 09, 2009, 03:29:39 am #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Balbanes' death event is perfect in terms of glitches (I don't know the PSP script too well). It feels much sadder than the original version.

All the kanji are now gone and replaced with "-", which is what they should be.

EDIT: Up to Thieves Fort now. No problems yet. I'm going to stall the battle to check all the battle events in there as well.

EDIT2: You are right. The whole Reed scene is messed up. All of it is in Japanese. Here are the first 2 boxes that appear (in case you need it).

Note that My Ramza is called "Mr.Tester"

Everything else is fine.

EDIT3: According to my brother (who does a little translating for games), the first 2 characters that are appearing in front of Ramza's and Delita's name is Japanese for "Sword" if that helps in anyway.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Vanya

April 09, 2009, 10:52:32 am #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Wait, didn't the PSP version have a new video instead of the old cut scene? Maybe they didn't bother translating that bit? Or I'm on crack and they did use the cut scene.

BTW, if guest aren't taking Ramza's orders then why do you get to control how they learn skills and what skill sets they have?
I'd say it would be better to either give the player control over guests, or not let them show up in the Formation screen at all.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Dominic NY18

April 09, 2009, 10:57:41 am #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
I've been trying to reproduce the problem all morning, but with no luck. I think I know why though. IIRC, the text editor was screwing up any edits made to battle.bin, so that the ability names are out of order.

From what I remember though, the issue was that "-er" was showing up as a kanji character.

Vanya

April 09, 2009, 12:32:36 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
That sounds like a problem with the DTE.
¯\(°_0)/¯

VincentCraven

April 09, 2009, 02:13:49 pm #28 Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:30:54 pm by VincentCraven
Quote from: "Vanya"BTW, if guest aren't taking Ramza's orders then why do you get to control how they learn skills and what skill sets they have?
I'd say it would be better to either give the player control over guests, or not let them show up in the Formation screen at all.

Actually that's a good point.  Guests should be generated per map, and level up with the enemies as normal.  That part is more of a "makes sense" issue rather than just changing the gameplay, but I'd argue that units with "Guest" status should only appear on storybattle maps, not in the formation screen.

One could argue that the equips that come with the guests should be available to the player, but I disagree.  Also it's an indirect fix to the "Gafgarion turns on you but you strip him" issue.  Not technically a glitch, but it kinda feels like cheating.

Also, what do other people think about the "learn one ability from crystals" fix?  I know one person already expressed dislike of the fix, and enemies seem to have many fewer abilities unlocked than your team does, but I still think that is a good idea to implement.

Other things I say to be added bug/glitch-wise of already made hacks:
JP scroll glitch fix
Oil weak against fire (not sure if this can be separated from Float weak against wind of Raz's hack, but Float weak wind is fine by me too)
Blade Grasp trigger sword only (It says it doesn't activate against arrows)
Weapon Strike Fix

DarthPaul

April 09, 2009, 02:19:30 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "VincentCraven"Also it's an indirect fix to the "Gafgarion turns on you but you strip him" issue. Not technically a glitch, but it kinda feels like cheating.

But doesn't it make you fell good inside when you know he deserved it?

Seriously though the idea is good and I have yet to find a flaw in the logic other than maybe the equips being available thing, because if you do leave his armor on him you get it anyway or you could steal it and end up with two copies.........okay that would be a point for the changes.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Dominic NY18

April 09, 2009, 03:14:02 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
I dont care for the idea of Float = Weak to Wind. The Oil weakness is something that was supposed to have been in the game. The Float weakness is something interesting someone thought up but wasnt originally in the game.

The other fixes sound fine to me.

DarthPaul

April 09, 2009, 03:30:16 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I think it makes sense that floating units should be pushed back when attacked.

Though that could easily become broken so it would need a balance.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Kaijyuu

April 09, 2009, 03:49:10 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
I like guests on the formation screen because you can customize them. Whether it makes sense or not, it's an interesting gameplay mechanic to have an AI partner that acts on their own but with some control from the player.

I'd be willing to sacrifice them on the formation screen if we can use their slots for regular characters, but other than that, it's a very good candidate for an optional, separate patch.
  • Modding version: PSX

VincentCraven

April 09, 2009, 04:31:03 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Okay.  So then the question is, do we want to make a hard rule of only fixing things that are technically glitches?

To fix the Gafgarion duplication trick without making drastic changes to Guest usage we can either make Gafgarion a special guest that never joins the party (so you never get his stuff) or he can just have a pre-made setup for the Falls battle.  Not a big deal, so I'd leave it alone.

And now that I think about it, we will need a new hack that makes Oil weak against Fire by itself, no Float/Wind attached.

Archael

April 09, 2009, 04:49:50 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Can you just remove the Load Formation flag from Gafgarion at Zirekile?

That's how it's done in 1.3 and works rather well... so he uses whatever is set in the ENTD

would that fix the item dupe trick?

DarthPaul

April 09, 2009, 05:01:10 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Voldemort"Can you just remove the Load Formation flag from Gafgarion at Zirekile?

That's how it's done in 1.3 and works rather well... so he uses whatever is set in the ENTD

would that fix the item dupe trick?

I have tried this on numerous occasions and it has never failed to please. Can't believe we didn't think of it sooner. Possibly doing this you can give Gaffy some equipment that makes him a more formidable opponent.

Kaijyuu

April 09, 2009, 05:48:55 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Indeed. Fixes the duping and the possibility of cheesing him by taking all his stuff off beforehand.
  • Modding version: PSX

Smitson

April 09, 2009, 08:52:31 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
I'm disliking the only learn one ability from the crystal thing as well.

Cheetah

April 09, 2009, 08:58:12 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
FFMaster: Thanks for the testing as always, you are officially going on the staff list as a tester. I believe I will take a look at the translation in the cutscene and the original script to piece together a worthy translation. I'm hoping that most of these cutscene events are translated, but if not I think this is the method I will continue to use in the future. I will post a video of the new script once I'm finished so that I can receive more input on it.

Guests: This is a tough call and will likely require some testing to make a final decision. If removing guests from the formation screen would open up permanent room for a larger party, I would do it in a heartbeat. If it would just result in fixing the Gaffy problem and remove them entirely from player control, it is debatable. Though there isn't anything particularly useful you get out of guests showing up in the formation screen, they make little job or level progression with only story battles. Plus it would be a really easy event edit and ENTD edit to just have them show up for their respective story battles at party level (once again Gaffy would benefit from this the most). So keep debating but at this point I'm definitely leaning towards just removing them from the formation screen, the only real benefit to having there that I can see is that they feel a little bit more a part of your party (even though they aren't...).

Hacks: It is clear to me that learning all the skills from a crystal is broken and it was meant to only be one skill, so this will definitely be fixed. Though like I said all the progress on this project will be well recorded here including the eventual ASM code to fix this so people could revert it back if they wished. The suggestions for the other bugs/glitches are good and I will start compiling a list of them on the first page to be addressed individually.

Discussion Topics:
1) In your opinion, what are the top 10 most broken things about FFT PSX US? Just personal opinions from everyone to see what people think.

2) This is going to be a tough decision for me and plays into the previous topic. I want to be making few changes to the core game, but what do people think about making all enemies for story battles party level or slightly higher at later levels? Not something I really want to do, but I think it would make the difficulty of the game a bit more consistent.
Current Projects:

DarthPaul

April 09, 2009, 09:07:08 pm #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I am currently at the mercy of a really foul operating system error but when I fix it I am free to join FFM as a tester.

Also good job so far, these ideas are what I thought are a step forward towards the perfect FFT. When that day comes we may very well have to pray for your good health.......not that I'm not doing it yet!!