• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:10:45 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Which portraits in EVTFACE are unused?

Started by DarthFutuza, March 12, 2019, 01:16:34 am

DarthFutuza

I looked and couldn't find an answer, hopefully you guys can help me out.  I've been working on making some changes with EasyVent to some scenes, but realized that the DisplayMessage() function can only pull the portraits from EVTFACE.BIN (via Portrait Row etc.) which means if I'm adding a new character, I have to replace someone.  So my question is, which of the portraits are unused by the vanilla game, if any?  I noticed there are a lot of (probably) unnecessary Balbanes repeats.  Can I use Shishi to replace one of these without affecting the vanilla game and use that one for my custom character in events?  Or is there maybe another more practical way to tell the game to use the UnitFace portraits instead with a DisplayMessage() function?  (On PSX version btw).

Thanks.
  • Modding version: PSX

3lric

You dont need to call a portait. Its automatic from the character that is speaking. Calling a portrait is only used in very rare circumstances where you need to do something out of the norm

DarthFutuza

March 12, 2019, 03:05:36 am #2 Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:27:28 am by DarthFutuza
Alright good to know.  I might have a weird case then.  My issue is the game is using the character that previously spoke's portrait within the scene (the white mage at the bar), rather than defaulting to their default WLDFACE.BIN portrait.  I'm trying to insert extra dialogue/characters and stuff in the bar scene before DeepDungeon and its mostly working other than the character's portrait shows up incorrectly (or is turned off if I use x09).  The default event starts the scene out with using Call Portrait, so maybe that's the bit making things unusual.

EDIT: Not quite sure what I was doing wrong, but I was able to fix it with x00, which I swear I had already tried.  Maybe I just forgot to try the obvious.  Anyway, thanks for the pointer Elric.  Though I am still interested in knowing how many of those Balbanes actually do anything.

3lric

That would be one of those odd cases j spoke of. Everyone in that scene is an EVTCHR. So i cant say for sure what sprite they are being called over top of, but im sure thats whats going on. If you are not adding new characters to the event, then just mimic how the other dialogue was done. If you are adding new characters then make sure you have their spriteset right in the ENTD and then post your event here with your new dialogue commands in bold so I can review.

EDIT: Glad you got it sorted. Im sure only 1 balbanes is used, if any. And likely only for the bravestory. Youd have to do some trial and error to identify which is used though. Arent there a buttload of unused slots in evtface though?