• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:45:51 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

how to modify the starting exp of every unit in party

Started by xjcx666, November 23, 2014, 04:29:03 am

xjcx666

I've actually modded the vanilla game, buffing special character jobs here and there, learning on my own. The only thing is, I'm irked at the randomness of the starting exp of the generic characters given to me at the start of the game. I've managed to track down the "encounter" where I could modify them prior to having my second battle, and can't seem to find where I could set the starting exp of everyone to 0. Does anyone know?

Kaijyuu

Pretty sure xp is always randomized for every unit upon generation.
  • Modding version: PSX

xjcx666

Hmmm... Well, probably if you're hiring new generic characters, I think, but there should be some way, even just for the characters given to you when you start. What about those fields in the "Unknown" area when you modify the encounters? What do all those represent?

Kaijyuu

Generally speaking, unknowns are unknown. Most often completely unused, though sometimes it represents some minor thing that no one's noticed.

Anywho, when I say "generation," I mean any sort of unit creation. When you go into a battle the enemy units are newly generated every time. When the story gives you a character to recruit, they're generated at that point. The starting generics are generated during the "little money" event. My understanding is xp is always randomized upon generation, hence why you even see zodiac monsters occasionally leveling up after one action.

Long story short you'd need some sort of asm hack to do what you want, and it'd probably make ALL units start with 00 experience (which may be preferable to you).

3lric

Secondadvent documented the unknowns in FFTP. His notes are around the forum somewhere.

In the ENTDs for the Units. If you look at those Unknowns, there is one that is labeled FE on all characters, FE is Random Amount (credits to Xif for mentioning this).

Try changing this and see if it happens to change the experience of the character upon joining or however you wanna test it.

Also note that it's in Hex.

Quote from: Kaijyuu on November 24, 2014, 07:33:06 pm
Generally speaking, unknowns are unknown.

No.

xjcx666

I studied the ENTDs for the battles. Imho, they're not "newly" generated when you enter a battle because each character's stats and stuff are preset already. Recruiting generics are probably the "newly" generated ones. Up to you how you perceive "newly" generated characters, though. :D

Well, errr, I set them to 0 so it's easy enough.

Hex is fun fun fun, but uhh, what happens when I go put higher than 63 (99 in decimal) instead of FE or 0? Does it stay at 99 for the char's exp or what?

Errr, would you have a link to these? I tried searching secondadvent himself but, I don't think I saw anything relevant.

Kaijyuu

3lric

Quote from: xjcx666 on November 25, 2014, 09:34:16 am
Hex is fun fun fun, but uhh, what happens when I go put higher than 63 (99 in decimal) instead of FE or 0? Does it stay at 99 for the char's exp or what?

Fuck if I know, I was just giving you info to test, I assumed you'd report back on whether it even affected experience or not.

Quote from: xjcx666 on November 25, 2014, 09:34:16 am
Errr, would you have a link to these? I tried searching secondadvent himself but, I don't think I saw anything relevant.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9618.msg187153#msg187153 <-- Post with SA's notes, i don't think he documented the FE one,
the others are all used to control the AI. Post back about whether or not changing that FE edits the starting experience

xjcx666

November 26, 2014, 08:10:55 am #8 Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:20:34 am by xjcx666
Whoops, sorry. Forgot to mention that it does affect experience. Setting it to 0 makes the starting experience 0. Thanks for the link too. I assume it's the same for other ENTDs.

Looked at the link, and the other 6 boxes affect AI behavior? So maybe that's why every unit in every ENTD has all zeroes in those six fields...