• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:43:11 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

reinoe

March 22, 2013, 01:33:39 am #2121 Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:56:31 am by reinoe
Quote from: Barren on March 21, 2013, 08:06:47 pm
FFT Arena 1.38d - DarkxFatal (Inexstinctus Anime) vs formerdeathcorps (Deadbolt)

FFT Arena 1.38d - Dokurider (Mana Missile Matrix) vs Otabo (Flying Dragons)

FFT Arena 1.38d - reinoe (Piceous) vs Otabo (Deep Denial)

In round one Dark X could have won if only dual Silence had hit.  That single summoner was effectively neutralizing two units at once.  Also that moonlight was quite useless on the Paladins.  Once the Darkx's Summoner went down it was over.  That summoner was definitely the mvp.  On FDC's side, those Samurai were doing lots of damage.  Although I'm not sure if it's worth it to use Equip MageGear to do so.  Especially since Staves are so underwhelming right now.  Wow, 185 damage Dia.  That's intense.

Match 2, the Summoner died After 2 shadow shades.  So yeah there's that.  Also constant Shadow Shade preventing any sandbagging efforts.

All three of the matches were high flying slugfests.  Lol at the Dual Dragon rod weilding squire getting both of her Summon proc's blocked.  That was quite hilarious.  Also Lol near the end of Match 3 when Flying Dragons almost made a comeback.  It was not to be though.  Still a great match

Very Educational.  I wonder what would have happened if that Necronomicon hadn't proc'd undead on my Priest. Also in match 3 I was starting to get worried that my units would squander their huge lead and screw it up again.  Phoenix Blade is looking to be a very good distraction.   Also both my Ninja and Paladin seem to recognize the value of allowing my Scholar to have MP replenished.  I've rarely seen the A.I. act that wisely with MP restoration.  If only the A.I. wasn't so stupid in other areas.

GG OTABO!
My dreams can come true!

DarkxFatal

I must agree with Reinoe, the Moonlight on Mors wasn't as effective as I would've liked. Perhaps the Regen from Nurse didn't help, but oh well. I'll fix that soon enough.
And Tristitia did better than expected, even if she never really got to deal direct damage. GG FDC.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Tristan#9682

CT5Holy

March 22, 2013, 11:43:30 pm #2123 Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:20:48 am by CT5Holy
Hey guys, I can record and comment on videos now! So, I'm taking requests. As a warning though, I'm a bit busy atm, so they'll probably come out at a slow rate, one at a time.

And of course, as I am new to this, comments/feedback would be appreciated! I plan to upload a test run probably tomorrow morning or so, though I will mention that I wasn't speaking very loudly and the game audio feels rather loud, so at times it will be hard to hear me. I will try to speak louder in the future though, and hopefully that will make things better.

Anyways, fire away!
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Dokurider

Well, if you're taking requests:

I'd like to see my Magical Shield Maidens fight some more. I want to see the idea of shield mages explored more.

Lower on the priority scale, my Missionaries From Heaven haven't seen battle yet. However, I would greatly prefer the appropriate choice in music. In fact, I won't recommend them fighting until I can see them FLY AWAY NAO FLY AWAY NAO FLY AWAAAAAAY

Other than that, just test the new teams.

CT5Holy

Anyone up for facing against the Magical Shield Maidens? PM me so as to avoid cluttering up the topic.

Also, as an fyi, for now, no music from me. Want to keep things simple, get used to commentating/how loud I should be speaking and etc.

Dokurider

Ah, then I'll probably get the Damned to do it or something.

CT5Holy

March 23, 2013, 12:44:21 am #2127 Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:54:32 am by CT5Holy
Or I'll just upload it right now: Gaignun (Magical Fingertips) vs CT5Holy (MBarrier) each round is cut so it's not worth watching, going to delete.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to reduce the in-game audio volume?

another edit: oops, something went wrong somewhere, as R3 was cut short. sorry!

CT5Holy

ePSXe for emulator, CamStudio for recording.

I think I know why the video got cut, so that shouldn't be a problem in the future.

CT5Holy

All the rounds? Yikes. Sorry everyone.

That said, my reducing in-game audio volume inquiry still stands.

CT5Holy

No! I have not. I will try that out next time. Thanks! And apologies for my incompetence.

reinoe

March 23, 2013, 03:06:14 am #2134 Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:06:34 am by reinoe
Quote from: CT5Holy on March 23, 2013, 12:44:21 am
Or I'll just upload it right now: Gaignun (Magical Fingertips) vs CT5Holy (MBarrier) each round is cut so it's not worth watching, going to delete.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to reduce the in-game audio volume?

another edit: oops, something went wrong somewhere, as R3 was cut short. sorry!

I don't think you should cut it.
You can still look back on it and learn from it.  Like when you said "commenting is hard" then like two minutes later you called your Oracle a priest.  Then right before it cut off you said "Gaignun has counterflood on the GEOMANCER(wizard) for the proc's".  Little human errors like that add to the charm of commentary.  Plus what you did have there I enjoyed.  Hehe but now we all know why when it comes to commentary most people just wind up talking about what just happend.  Commenting has got to be a lot tougher than it looks.

I think this match proves why poison is so underpowered right now.   That wizard was practically spamming the poison spell, and it never missed, but poison had almost no bearing on the match because so many things heal poison.
My dreams can come true!

CT5Holy

Dokurider (Magic Shield Maidens) vs CT5Holy (Antimatter)

Next vid will be Magic Shield Maidens vs. Otabo's Is 108 Your Lucky Number?, quite possibly later today.

Barren

Very enjoyable commentary CT5Holy. Great to have you on board! If you want you can use of my teams. Preferabbly either MLE, or Annoyance. High Risk High Reward might need another match too before I decide to update them. Many thanks
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Jumza

Reaction,Support,Blank just got updated (Now rid of false advertising, and MP starvation). It could use a match!
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

The Damned

March 24, 2013, 05:38:33 pm #2138 Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:36:56 am by The Damned
(I just realized that, like an asshole, I keep forgetting to say GG. So belated GG to both DomieV and Celdia. Also probably someone else. GG to Wiz as well since I'm posting the video.)

Sorry for the delay. Long story short: I was gone most of yesterday, which is why these have been up since Friday, but I didn't get around to put in the details until now. Well, that and I wanted to catch up on the four matches that were up between this and the last time I posted. Given what I still owe, commentary-wise just from last time, I'll save that commentary until next post since otherwise this post would get even longer with all the quote replying I also need to do. [/procrastination]

Still, I'll post commentary on these last four matches at least since I made you wait partly due to those:

1. FFT ARENA 138d - The Damned (Wizards as Weapons) vs. Wiz ({S1}) [23:13]

2. FFT ARENA 138d - Angelus (A Very Strange Team) vs. Barren (Latest Experiment) [13:34]

3. FFT ARENA 138d - Avalanche (S1 Champion Team) vs. AeroGP ({S1}) [17:59]

4. FFT ARENA 138d - DarkxFatal (Madness Ensues) vs. Reks (Severe Weather Alert) [7:43]

As for the next memory card, I'll probably bug Dokurider about that on Wednesday for various reasons, including giving people time to update and him time to "prepare". AT present, this is what you can expect though.

1. At least one (and probably only one) of Raven's teams.
2. At least one (and maybe only one since I've hit all of his teams already) of formerdeathcorps's teams.
3. Jumza vs. xyzqwv (since I was serious when I mentioned that weeks ago).
4. Truelight's "Bloody Lance" (probably vs. me, particularly probably "Dance Water, Dance!").
5. Otabo's "Target Practice" (maybe vs. me)
6. Dokurider's "Missionaries from Heaven"
7. Dokurider's "Magical Shield Maidens"
8. Probably have one of Vigilanti's teams fight.
9. And, since he apparently added it while I was trying, Dragonblade's new team.

And that's currently all I have planned outside of this memory card probably being the last time I do Wiz (until 139) and maybe being the last time I do AeroGP for a bit.

Time for match commentary:

I'm still weirded out that AI doesn't more actively go for Murasame against Undead units since it's completely unavoidable; not that Draw Out needs more power. (Also pretty sure I meant to say that for some thing else first.)

Also weirded out to realize that Spell Absorb apparently isn't reversed on the Undead like it "should" be. Hunh.

Anyway, DarkxFatal pretty much lost here because he couldn't do nearly enough--really, any--significant damage to the Scholars to put them down and have to deal only with the Samurai. This despite disabling them rather quickly and repeatedly. In addition to the whole HP Restore thing kind of screwing over Moonlight, the Blood Sword Knight couldn't attack the Samurai in any way anyway, not even with his barely damaging Dia. So, yeah, he was kind of boned from the very start/drawing board.

It's...oddly kind of easy to tell when Wish will miss. Hunh.

Anyway, nice to see another team using a Stone Gun again. Also nice to see more Dragon Rods, especially Double Dragon (Rod)s, and a two-crit, both-fatal Spin Fist of all things.

Outside of that, not much to say since Mana Missile Matrix tends to lose whenever "The Missile" doesn't user Bizen Boat, especially right away. This since she tends to get quickly separated from the rest of the  team and thus die horribly for it, though the change (?) to Stone Gun helps support her more now.

As I said on Youtube verbatim:

"(Phoenix Blade just makes the attacking AI dumb, Barren. It's part of the reason it [probably] needs to die already.)

Ugh. So much--way too much, actually--self-Reraise. Nothing else, then is good evidence that such things need to die in a fire. So...thanks Barren."

Given how long the match dragged on, Otabo probably would have easily won that third round if his Monk had Slow Dance instead of Nameless Dance. Not much else to say given how much of that match was basically Reraise going off. Again. And again.

And again.

By Brahma, I had forgotten already how much damage Dokurider's Black Magic Geomancer could do. Perhaps that was extra incentive for the AI to use Heretic against an incoming enemy spell for only the second or third time in ARENA history. So congrats just for that, CT5Holy.

I found it quite amusing how the first and second rounsd were basically total routs, but the third match was a proper back-and-forth. I find it quite ironic that Dokurider ended up losing because of enemy shields, but I suppose it's not that ironic when only shields and mantles (and Genji Gauntlet) grant M-EV. The glitch-using Zombie Archer was rather passive this match compared to my own recording, but I suppose it helped that he was stuck healing half of the time.

Quote time:

Quote from: Otabo on March 18, 2013, 01:14:39 pm

I watched the first maybe....4 or 5 minutes of this one and just stopped watching. A team of squishy mages vs. a speedy, tanky team that uses berserk? Real. Already knew the outcome of these before I even hit play.

Uh...you actually won that second round, which is more than most teams can currently say against this present form of Wiz's team.

Quote from: Dokurider on March 18, 2013, 07:02:53 pm
I never saw why The Damned thought the answer to beating Wiz's team was going to be AoE. Their one and only win was because of status, you know, like how Stone Frog won, only less efficient, and that's coming from the team that chased a frog around the map for half the match.

Long story short, Wiz's team cannot be beat without Berserk immunity, because Berserk is simply too debilitating of a status. Well, there might be one way...

Well, hubris for using "surefire" semi-sarcastically in that PM aside, which I'm still allowed considering I told you Nursing Wizards were going to sabotage you before Stone Frog fought, it was less that I thought AoE would surely beat Wiz and more that I wanted to see if it could. Before Otabo, pretty much every spellcaster with AoE that Wiz had fought beforehand was instantly shut down by Berserk (despite Defense Ring being popular), whereas Otabo at least had two units immune to Berserk (as did/do I).

That's all really. Now I know (and knowing is half of the battle).

Quote from: Dokurider on March 18, 2013, 07:02:53 pm
Hmm, it seems that was a farewell match for Celdia, because I can't find her submission in Team Submissions anymore.

Yeah, it seems she took it down some time last Friday (the 16th) or Saturday (the 17th). I was going to put a bonus video anyway before I had noticed since I had realized the problem with #097 map, at least when doing visual-only recording.

It just happened to be coincidence, just like how it end up being coincidence that it the video was just long enough for that Legend of Zelda song that I'd been "sitting on" since then the beginning and that it also happened to be song I figured Zelda would like.

It seems only "luck" is musically.

Quote from: Dokurider on March 23, 2013, 12:16:48 am
Ah, then I'll probably get the Damned to do it or something.

I'd planned to record it from the beginning, but I've never watched Panty and Stocking (?), so you're going to have point me at the music you're talking about since I still don't have any from that anime.

Quote from: Jumza on March 23, 2013, 06:38:53 pm
Reaction,Support,Blank just got updated (Now rid of false advertising, and MP starvation). It could use a match!

See above. Not that you had any (read: much) way of knowing beforehand or that other people can't record your re-done team before next weekend.

Madness EDIT: Fixed the name of DarkxFatal's team on that latest video. Sorry again about that DarkxFatal.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Avalanche

My S1 Team you used was incorrect, i remember a memory card generator that i downloaded only contained the broken version of the Team. The thiefes had no quickening (maybe the most essential Part of the Team) and some other thinks were wrong but i cant remember them. Maybe you used the same Team.

When i noticed it I used the occasion to uptade the team with some minor improvements, so if you want to use an updated version of the Team make sure to check out the Team submission Thread.