• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:02:20 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

TrueLight

Before this battle, I had heard about the bad stories regarding Sing/Dance & Refute. The first 2 rounds went pretty well. Round 1 was doomed from the start as Summon Magic & Draw Out overwhelmed my team and the Monk/Paladin couldn't hold on long enough for the Lancers to revive. Round 2 went much better as my Paladin nailed some timely Sleep procs and my Lancers cleaned up. Round 3 was when the shenanigans started happening. Most of the fight was pretty much 4 vs 2 because my Paladin was being derp with Refute and my Monk was a sitting duck doing nothing because of that. I guess my Paladin finally got sick of his horrible singing or something. The tide of the battle turned when my Paladin finally decided to help out the team and my Monk finally let his voice be heard. The Bards started acting derp in the end and decided to use sword slashes instead of Murasame. GG Reinoe 

Thanks for the videos, Barren!
  • Modding version: PSX

CT5Holy

March 13, 2013, 09:30:39 pm #2101 Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:48:35 pm by CT5Holy
Big thanks again to Dokurider, The Damned, and Barren for the videos!

Tankiness + evasion from xyzqwv coupled with my complete reliance and my two squishy mages for offense was a huge problem for me, and it showed. Should definitely tweak Tag! at some point. gg

I think it was your lack of offense that allowed my team to keep attacking. It was basically your Monk and Geo with itembot support against my team, and Elemental is great against PD. gg

Goodness that was an intense round 1. I'm quite surprised they pulled through, honestly. I thought I was done with both my Archer down and my Paladin stuck Reraising himself and running. The missed Bullrush on my Geo and the Stop proc were huge though, and soon after my Archer came back and Hi-Potion'd my Paladin, bringing them both back into the fight. Once Slow 2 hit, everything began to spiral out of control for you. Then in R2 everything went my way (2 DA procs, 2 missed charms). gg
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

reinoe

March 13, 2013, 09:39:16 pm #2102 Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:46:24 pm by reinoe
Well that settles it.  Hyper Fabulous cannot win a match.  Not under any circumstance.  Even when one of the units on the opposition is undermining his teammates.  Hyperfabulous will always lose by doing something stupid.  Even though the A.I. recognizes that healing does damage to undead units.  That team is something like 0-12.  There's a reason why it was called "HyperFabulous:Final Fight".  There's not even a lesson to be learned here, because it's not like I can't create a magic based team either.  It's just the concept is unworkable.  The whole weapon attack instead of Murasame was particularly infuriating.  Sorry about the mini-rant but I'm so frustrated by that team.  They're officially a failure and will be deleted soon.  I just need to cry into a pillow first.

GG Truelight!

Thanks for the videos Barren.  They're always appreciated!
My dreams can come true!

xyzqwv

Mellow Yellow be mellow.
No raise 2 sniping on the undead bards makes me sad. Koutetsu healing is nice, but I like more evasion on my paladins.
The paladin probably wanted to get rid of don't move on the monk. That would be my guess.
Sweepers be sweepin'.

Dokurider

I don't really see how your team failed here. It fought long and hard, even effortlessly winning the first match. The only outstanding problem I see with your team is pretty fixable: you put your GeoSummoners in the first and second unit positions instead of the last and second last unit positions. It allows for mage types to charge freely on units that have already moved and acted, thus maximizing their spells. Placing them in the first and second slots allowed the lancers to connect jumps on you and more importantly, allowed the Talking Paladin the opportunity to interrupt your spells. Placing them on the bottom slots would have almost eliminated this opportunity.

Also, I think compat was lowering damage, which was favoring Truelight, but I'm not entirely sure, so don't quote me on that. I also recommend removing MA Save for Magic Attack Up because MA Save is redundant with Magic Song around.

Yeah, I was lacking somewhat in damage, but I also blame my Item Samurai for being too slow. Simply put, I wanted Double Masamune and Item and a form of Slow, so came with a Heaven's Cloud Samurai, who, on paper, did everything I wanted her to do, but in practice was only good for the initial Masamune. I've rebuilt her into a Stone Gunner, with my Lancer gaining Javelin for better utility. Haven't really gave a full on test yet, but I'm sure the lack of damage is solved.

First off, I'm amazed that I'm actually capable of spelling He Who Mashed His Keyboard When Asked For A Username off the top of my head now. It's like it challenged me to remember how to spell it, and I took it up. Anyways, Taichii did do better than I expected, thanks to double Raise 2 and the offhand Charm. However, thanks to All Four Bet's unorthodox elemental blocks, managed to shut out Two Sworded Kiku Samurai and Windslash Bow, as well as factoring out Holy entirely.

Holy crap, I haven't seen the Damned sweep a team since the SCC tourney. Key skills here was Weapon Break and Arm Aim.

DarkxFatal

Odd. Thought Chrom had Soft...Guess not.
As usual, despite not winning, I am just pleased my team could hold out for so long.
Perhaps if it wasn't for the Petrify procs, I might have been able to win. Oh well.
GG/GF DomieV.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Tristan#9682

reinoe

So incredibly weird.

At 5:56 double headbreak results in broken headgear and then broken headgear.  Then at 6:15.  Same unit attacking the same priest.  This time with double weapon break.  The first strike breaks the weapon and the second strike is considered an attack.  So weird!

I'm not done watching all the videos though.  There's probably more weirdness afoot.
My dreams can come true!

xyzqwv

Demi and balance are nice "cheap" spells.
Nice teams, unless the opponent has maintenance tanks.
Cool idea, but so little health.
Southern cross with a book looks cool. Hits hard too.
That asura in round 3 was nicely done.

Dokurider

Having experience with Quackening, a team similar in design, I can say that those Phoenix Dancers should not be Iron Booted. They should be roaming around, drawing the enemy's attention away from the Cursed Scholars.

reinoe

Quote from: CT5Holy on March 13, 2013, 09:30:39 pm

Goodness that was an intense round 1. I'm quite surprised they pulled through, honestly. I thought I was done with both my Archer down and my Paladin stuck Reraising himself and running. The missed Bullrush on my Geo and the Stop proc were huge though, and soon after my Archer came back and Hi-Potion'd my Paladin, bringing them both back into the fight. Once Slow 2 hit, everything began to spiral out of control for you. Then in R2 everything went my way (2 DA procs, 2 missed charms). gg

I think there was an important trend in match 1 as well.  Your Geomancer kept successfully hitting two units with Geomancy.  Another trend was that for some reason my units were not giving my Lancer haste until near the end.
My dreams can come true!

The Damned

March 18, 2013, 07:57:53 am #2112 Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:51:02 pm by The Damned
(Good news: I found my Darker than Black music and I have a bonus video.)

Bad news: Well, besides these videos being way behind schedule--remember, Mime--even though they've been up since yesterday evening, a bunch of crap has occurred between both my computers acting up, having re-record and re-produce twice and, among other things, realizing I'm an even bigger idiot than usual. For, you see, I had idiotically asked Dokurider to have TrueLight's Bloody Lance fight Otabo's Target Practice...without realizing that none of Otabo's units can move; I somehow missed the Iron Boots on his side. Considering that one of TrueLight's units also has Iron Boots...yeah.

So, I'll make it up by having Bloody Lance & Target Practice fight again on the next memory card, only with different opponents that can freaking move.

In addition to that, when I did try to post Saturday night, FFH kinda...ate my post, though I'm sure that was more my desktop acting up than anything else. Regardless, my match commentary will wait until next post, especially since I have to go back and re-watch some things.

Anyway, here's what I owe you:

1. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Celdia (My Hat in the Ring) vs. Otabo (Shroom Squad) [32:58]

2. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Celdia (My Hat in the Ring) vs. Otabo (Shroom Squad) Bonus [6:32]

3. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Dokurider (Magic Shield Maidens) vs. Otabo (Spellstorm) [9:27]

4. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Otabo (A Watery Grave) vs. AeroGP (Inferno) [13:01]

5. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Otabo (Spellstorm) vs. Wiz ({S1}) [30:34]

6. FFT ARENA 1.38d - Otabo (Shroom Squad) vs. Reks (Celestial Stasis) [26:09]
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Reks

My luck has been terrible in Tactics Ogre. Getting his with consecutive crits constantly, missing on 90% shots repeatedly.

Not surprised to see that carry over here. Oh well.

Looks like the changes overall didn't do 'too' well, though further tests will have to speak. Though I'm thinking overall on just reverting the team to their previous version.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Barren

Quote from: Reks on March 18, 2013, 08:23:02 am
My luck has been terrible in Tactics Ogre. Getting his with consecutive crits constantly, missing on 90% shots repeatedly.

Not surprised to see that carry over here. Oh well.

Looks like the changes overall didn't do 'too' well, though further tests will have to speak. Though I'm thinking overall on just reverting the team to their previous version.

I actually have a few suggestions for your team if you're interested
You dare cross blades with me?

Otabo

Phoenix Blade distraction worked on my squire perfectly. Expected, though. Berserking this team doesn't exactly help me, either.

A decent fight, but Doku had more DPS and had higher HP units. That geo does so much damage, too.

Nice of Watery Grave to ignore Aero's paladin. Plus, that chemist is too fast for my units to keep up with his sandbagging. And, Death does indeed suck hard. Not gonna pull the plug on this team quite yet, though. Gonna try to improve them first.

I watched the first maybe....4 or 5 minutes of this one and just stopped watching. A team of squishy mages vs. a speedy, tanky team that uses berserk? Real. Already knew the outcome of these before I even hit play.

This one was pretty good. SS did its job for the most part. Didn't realize the samurai was immune to berserk until halfway through the first match. And nice turnaround in R3 for Reks. GG.

I'm very close to killing off Shroom Squad, but I'm gonna try one last modification to them. Spellstorm also is getting modified; I see what the problem with them is now. And as for Watery Grave, gonna change them a bit too.

Dokurider

Another team falls to berserk. Next.

I was actually pretty concerned here. In fact, I wrote off this match as a loss because I was going to get midcharged constantly, negating my shield evasion, and I was partially right. However, the times that I wasn't charging, I managed to get a few lucky dodges here and there. Overall, I think my proto-Druids worked out pretty well.

I never saw why The Damned thought the answer to beating Wiz's team was going to be AoE. Their one and only win was because of status, you know, like how Stone Frog won, only less efficient, and that's coming from the team that chased a frog around the map for half the match.

Long story short, Wiz's team cannot be beat without Berserk immunity, because Berserk is simply too debilitating of a status. Well, there might be one way...

Hmm, it seems that was a farewell match for Celdia, because I can't find her submission in Team Submissions anymore.

Barren

Actually, If you watch my match versus Wiz back at the FFT Arena Season One AI Tournament, my team had only 1 unit immune to berserk

FFT Arena Netherworld Bracket Match 87 - Wiz vs Barren
You dare cross blades with me?

Dokurider

Eh? What happened to Reinoe's challenge? I not only accepted it, I already have one team built to fight Wiz, and another team in the works.

Reks

Quote from: Barren on March 18, 2013, 09:10:02 am
I actually have a few suggestions for your team if you're interested

Sure, I'm always up for advice and such.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128