• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:22:12 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Replace animated game sprites with 3d models?

Started by Bladegrasp1997, January 09, 2015, 11:52:55 am

3lric

What do you mean by missing 'faces'? Can you post a picture please?
  • Modding version: PSX

Bladegrasp1997

I meant missing polygons, I think adding a second floor is what overloaded the limit.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Bladegrasp1997

I finally got it to load without anything missing in ganesha. I had to remove the book cases. Here's another edited map. In order to test them in game I would have to play through until I get to the level or could I just rename it as another level that appears in the early missions?

Xifanie

Props to your previous edits (they're great, could just use some texture improvements). But having a full ceiling makes a map completely impractical for battles... you would never be able to rotate the camera to see what's going on, where you're walking, what you're attacking...

As far as testing is concerned, you would need to use a spreadsheet I haven't finished to move/resize files around the ISO if the filesize is greater than the original amount of sectors allocated, or by doing it yourself through hex editing and creating a new file with cdprog. You could then use the World Debug.
If your number of polygons on the new map would be about the same or slightly higher, you should still be able to import it into an unaltered ISO.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Bladegrasp1997

Thanks :cool:, I wanted to see if it would prevent the jump ability from being used and to try and simulate a close quarters feel. Here's a couple more test maps. If anyone has any suggestions for edits or would like some custom levels I'd be glad to help. Thanks again for the help.

Jumza

Dude that hospital map edit is so sick! Really excellent work! The roof's are an interesting idea, it could work if you made it a bit higher? Not sure, maybe experiment with it some more.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Good job man, I'm really digging that Hospital map, the only thing that seems a bit rough to me currently is the boxes, since it seems too repetitive, though that's not too hard a fix, it's really a lighting issue more than anything negative that you've done, you're doing quite well with keeping the textures themselves from looking like copies of the same tile, especially on the second map. Keep that up!

If you'd be interested, I could probably think up a few ideas for maps you could make for us that would be used in Jot5, however, we would have to discuss that in private.

Bladegrasp1997

Thanks, I really didn't have much wooden textures to work with so I thought the crates would suit the "slum" theme of the level. I was going to use the carpeted tile but it looked horrible combined with the wooden sides. Most definitely interested in helping out with Journey of the 5. Let me know where to start.

Bladegrasp1997

Not much of an update, but I was able to add levels exported from Ganesha to GameMaker Studio using this tutorial and an extension called P3DC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P12LpVJd4yE
I've even managed to add 3d models and animations. The main obstacle is figuring out a turn based system for a 3d environment in GMS. I tried, but the only tutorials that seem to be out there are for 2d games.

3lric

You should download the updated Ganesha here:

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11483.0

It is actually in color now, so you don't have to do the workaround you did when you made that map for me, as the workaround breaks the map for ingame use.

Bladegrasp1997

I'll try it out. I guess the map wasn't usable then?

3lric

Unfortunately, it was not :/

I've been working towards remaking it. The thing is that FFT can be pretty finicky when it comes to how stuff is done, so once workarounds start being used, things often stop playing nicely

Bladegrasp1997

Another Update: I switched engines, what took me months to do in Gamemaker Studio took me a couple weeks to learn in Unity. Hopefully progress will continue.
Turnbased with 3d Elmdor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-h2jbICQYU

Tutorial that I followed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYeTW2Zr8NA&list=PLbghT7MmckI55gwJLrDz0UtNfo9oC0K1Q

Sorry for the late response, I could not get the new version of Ganesha to open on WIN7.