• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:03:06 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Reks

Round 1: The map was picture perfect for Severe Weather Alert.

Round 2: Frog hurts, and I might need to give Blizzard something for Holy, since he'll get 1-shotted by it from a high MA mage

Round 3: That. Was. Intense. GG Celdia!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Fantactic1316

Ouch. Statii definitely doesn't stand up well against heavy damage. And Raise definitely doesn't cut it with a unit like that Lancer in the fray. In spite of landing a lot of negative status, I still got my ass handed to me. Ah well, can't win them all.

And I'm going to try again with Camtasia (thanks for the recommendation) and see if it gets any better results.
"D'you know in 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important before."
-The Doctor-

Zareb

Quote from: Barren on June 28, 2012, 10:01:21 am

FFT Arena 1.37b Vigilanti (State of Conflict) vs Zareb (IRPO)

IRPO has always been designed around elemental absorb in some shape or form, sticking together and depending on one another.  Unfortunately, as I've learned through much trial-and-error, this can easily work against me (especially against teams that use a fair amount of AoE and can manage on a large map).  Running Teleport/Fly on all of my units is quite the gamble, as it can just as easily keep my units separated from one another as keeping them within arm's length.

I may have Esuna, but that won't stop something like, well, Stop.  That status, alongside Charm and Frog, are very effective ways to end my units' lives swiftly.  If your Thief used Armor Break more often, I think that you would have won all three rounds.  Also, if your Lancers chose to jump more often, that would have aided you much more than those misguided pokes they kept churning-out; thank goodness I had Main Gauches.  Tight paths like the ones in the second round map are enders for my units, as well.  If the Squires can't stick together for that Koutetsu healing, well... yeah.  The Stops didn't help, either!

I try to build for maximum synergy, but I have to sacrifice so much (normally status protection and damage).  My units' high Faith may protect me from Ninjitsu, allow easy resurrection and status-healing capabilities, but against any team that has offensive units that rely on said Faith can make things very challenging for me.  During the past week or so, I've been working on a 40/55 and a 40/40 team for this reason alone.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable match to watch; GG, Vigilanti!  As well, thanks for recording, editing and commentating, Barren!
Now your blood travels through the veins of our history
It bursts forth in boiling black clouds from the wrists of kings

CT5Holy

Hilariously lucky Oracle. (hope I can be this lucky in tournament >_>)
Got a bit worried R1 cause of the many PA Save triggers on Paladin + my team got split up + Blind is a big problem for me. But the big turning point was when my Monk got off the Spin Fist to kill Thief + crit Geomancer.
gg Angelus
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Celdia

R1: That map never does me any good.  :cry:
R2: This is what a good map for J&T looks like.
R3: Curse you, Counter Magic!!!!

No, seriously though. Fun match. ^_^ GG, Reks.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Fantactic1316

Tropical Storm Reks Ravages the Fantactic Coastline - Part 1

Fanboy Moment vs Severe Weather Alert

Dolls vs Severe Weather Alert

Girls With Guns vs Severe Weather Alert

Statii vs Severe Weather Alert

Comical vs Severe Weather Alert

Hybrids vs Severe Weather Alert

Camtasia is infinitely better than CamStudio. Thanks again for the recs! I still had a few hiccups along the way, but nothing major. Assuming the video quality is satisfactory, I'll run the other six matches tomorrow.

Wow. When I saw Severe Weather Alert on paper, I just went, "Pfft. Some kind of lightning gimmick team. I hope he doesn't think I'm cheating when I beat him twelve times."

But apparently I'm developing a knack for underestimating teams on paper. Running the matches always tells the real story. This team is very solid against a pretty good variety of builds. Even the one match I won went to a third round. Thunder Flare works excellently here. Tornado/Bolt + Counter Magic is super effective!

And one thing I realized in the first match is that a lot of power is gained just by being able to get around Reflect. So many high Faith units run Reflect and rely on it to protect them against the weakness high Faith brings, but Lore, Tier 4 Black Magic, and Magic Guns all walk right around that.

Suddenly Magic Evasion, Shell, and elemental halving gear start to look a lot more tempting. Like with Dolls round 2 at Mandalia Plains, with Victor hanging on there at the end and taking crap damage from all four units.

Bottom line, this team is really well made. Looking at the back half of my teams, I think I might win one match tomorrow, if I'm lucky. Time will tell, I suppose. Good games.
"D'you know in 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important before."
-The Doctor-

Reks

When I designed Severe Weather Alert, I honestly didn't think they'd do THIS well. By the way, I did give Blizzard a Small Mantle earlier, but that shouldn't matter if you have everything set up already. But yes. SWA's main weakness is those that run Magic Defend UP/Shell/Lower Faith, and starting on maps where they can be reached from the get go.

Fantactic1316

Tropical Storm Reks Ravages the Fantactic Coastline - Part 2

Girl Power vs Severe Weather Alert

The Black Mages vs Severe Weather Alert

Night Attack vs Severe Weather Alert

Battlebot vs Severe Weather Alert

TeeHee vs Severe Weather Alert

Greatest Hits vs Severe Weather Alert

I had a pretty good time running these, once I got the technical issues sorted out. I'm sure I was just as eager to watch my teams fight as Reks was to test Severe Weather Alert. I especially had fun picking out the music. It might be fun to run other matches in the future.

Well, I definitely learned a lot. My teams may not be the greatest ever, but I like to think that most of them are pretty well designed. Reks, you should definitely pat yourself on the back for a job well done. One loss in twelve matches against a pretty good variety of teams.

I particularly enjoyed The Black Mages match. Round three had me on the edge of my seat when I was running it. I'm a fan of long, back-and-forth matches, as well as undoubtedly biased when my own team is involved. I loved that I kept thinking, "Oh, I've got this wrapped up" ... "Oh, he's gonna win it here" ... "Or maybe I will" ... "Nope definitely him." It was very entertaining.

Night Attack was another fun one. And here I saw another good design choice on Severe Weather Alert: Even Charm doesn't do much good against them when they can't hurt each other. Great way to take advantage of compatibility without having it turn against you when Charmed.

The Battlebot match was torturous. I knew pretty early that I was going to lose, but I also knew that the team would hang on for ages.

Good games all around.
-The Doctor-

Reks

Thanks for all of the matches, Fantactic. It told me that Severe Weather Alert is the best team I've made so far, or at least the most well designed. But don't feel bad that you didn't win very many matches, I fully expected SWA to lose at least half. Plus, with the changes that are arriving, it'll affect the team slightly, mostly with Rain due to the changes in Black Magic. But all in all, I had a fun time watching these. Your teams are very diversified, and some of which (Night Attack, for example) had me on the edge of my seat, and they'll be MUCH tougher to beat, come Arena 1.38. GG!

I look forward to returning from Basic Training so I can actively participate again.... And I wish all of you well.

-note-
I WILL make a version of Severe Weather Alert from FFM's changes, although the changes are not finalized yet. I won't be able to edit any of my teams after I leave, as i'll have no internet access or privledges. So SWA will be the only truly usable team for a while.

Barren

You dare cross blades with me?

Reks

Fast and hard. I would have taken round 1, but that crit. GG Veliuz, you win this time.

Zaes

If it wouldn't be too much trouble for someone, could my team get a few matches in against people? I'm interested in seeing my first go around as to whether or not I'm even a minor threat. The more matches the better so I can see what to tweak before the next AI tournament happens.

Barren

I can do one for you today. Just got to go through work first then later on after 3:00pm EST I can get started
You dare cross blades with me?

Reks

Ouch. A little too much for Zaes...

That Bard has some VERY high damage. But yes, as Barren says, beware of him hitting his own team members.

I'm going, but I await the day I get back. Have many Good Games, everyone!

Zareb

Quote from: Barren on July 01, 2012, 11:36:02 pm

FFT Arena 1.37b Zaes (The Heathers) vs Zareb (IRPO)

As soon as I saw the 200~ damage Chiri, I knew that I lost; that Pole-wielding Samurai surely didn't help me out, heh.  As teams before The Heathers proved, a good Draw Out unit makes a team.  Change that Ninjitsu Squire around and you've yourself an even better team, Zaes.  GG!
Now your blood travels through the veins of our history
It bursts forth in boiling black clouds from the wrists of kings

Zaes

July 02, 2012, 12:28:12 am #1516 Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:56:59 am by Zaes
Quote from: Barren on July 01, 2012, 11:36:02 pm
FFT Arena 1.37b Zaes (The Heathers) vs Otabo (Children of the Caller)

FFT Arena 1.37b Zaes (The Heathers) vs Zareb (IRPO)

I got ROCKED by Otabo. Like I still need help getting up. I'm definitely going to tweak my team a bit and will repost it but thank you SO much for uploading. My friends got a kick out of the matches.

Edit: My team has been remade a bit so again time willing if there's anyone that can put it up against some people I'd love you long time.

veliuz

Shake N Bake

Nuff said....

my team will be getting a rework, once the new patch is out >.<

Vigilanti

man...as much as i'm glad i won that 3rd round was atrocious. my team needed to speed up the kill but didn't ;/ and i guess my oracle didn't feel like flipping through the pages of doom there when she should have. ah well, i guess i got change my approach to victory then. GG iamBQB.